Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Smith machine Squats

S

simonjpa

Sep 10, 2010
Got to the gym today and the squat rack was being used so instead of waiting i did squats on smith machine i got alot better pump without the lower back ache i always get from free squats. Just curious as to what some of youall think about them should i stick with this or go back to free squats.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I would never squat in a smith machine, neither front nor back squat. I want to get more muscles involved, not less. I also want my natural bar path and not have to follow one that's preset b/c of the rods the bar is attached to.

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
never have been a fan of the Smith for any of the bigger lifts. just an unnatural feeling for some reason

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
When I was a complete newb in the gym, I was scared of free weight squats... So I used the smith. I did this for almost a year. Then I worked legs with a guy one day and we worked in the squat rack. There is no comparison... I haven't squatted in the smith since. Front squatting in the smith hurts my back like hell too.

But if its workin for you, then what the hell. Just ain't for me.

ritch

ritch

MuscleHead
Dec 4, 2011
can't stand the smith machine. Your body does not press in a straight line, avoid it.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
My gym doesn't have a hack machine so sometimes I'll use it and put my feet out in front of me and simulate the hack movement. No use for it with regular squats though.

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
My gym doesn't have a hack machine so sometimes I'll use it and put my feet out in front of me and simulate the hack movement. No use for it with regular squats though.

Those are front squats right? Crushing the quads! Love that movement

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Those are front squats right? Crushing the quads! Love that movement
No not front squats. I do those free. I basically simulate the hack movement by placing my feet way out in front and go down like sitting in a chair.

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
The answer is simply no. If your back hurts on reg squats lower the weight and work on form.

ozzy69

ozzy69

MuscleHead
Apr 5, 2011
well i guess im against the grain here--i like smith machine back squats--i use them every 3rd leg workout to confuse my legs but keep in mind i dont go real heavy, usually 3 plates on each side max, the motion is not a natural motion on that plain

i also use it for front squats but again never real heavy, its mainly to confuse and try to push more growth

atltrainer

atltrainer

Mar 15, 2012
The unnatural and fixed path of the bar buts stress and shearing forces in your knees and back. Stay away from it.

T

thebeez61

Dec 4, 2011
I agree with most everyone else in that I'm not a fan of the Smith machine squat. It feels awarkard to me and I beleive I get a better workout with the free weights.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic