Members
Latest Member
severedthumbz
What's New?

Sleep... Does Time Matter?

A

arnoldblack

Sep 6, 2010
We all know that sleep is crucial in recovery to get jacked, strong and a shit load of other awesomeness. I'd say roughly 8 hours every night is pretty ideal, but how about the time you sleep. Does it matter if it's 12-8am as opposed to 5am-1pm? Or is it all good?

Zomb131

Zomb131

MuscleHead
Jan 31, 2011
why would time of day matter? Sleep is sleep.

S

sniper33

Sep 19, 2010
Reminds me of the old saying, 'the hours you sleep before midnight are more important than the hours after midnight.'

Not a study, but a Q&A with the "sleep director the Sleep and Neuroimaging Lab at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Assistant Professor of Psychology at Harvard Medical School."

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/walker-sleep.html

"There is nothing particularly special about the clock time of midnight for sleep. Upon falling asleep, there is a general propensity to go through a 90-minute cycle of non-REM sleep followed by REM sleep. However, as mentioned above, the ratio of non-REM-to-REM sleep within these 90-minute cycles changes across the night, such that early in the night (e.g., 11p.m.-3a.m.), the majority of those cycles are comprised of deep non-REM sleep (stages 3 and 4) and very little REM sleep. As we push through to the second half of the night (e.g. 3a.m.-7a.m.), this balance changes, such that the 90-minute cycles are comprised of more REM sleep (the stage commonly associated with dreaming), together with a lighter form of non-REM sleep (stage 2).

But there is a subtle twist to this story that rises above these 90-minute laws: the earlier in the night, the greater the propensity for deep non-REM sleep, and the later in the morning, the greater the propensity for REM. Therefore, someone who sleeps from 9p.m. to 5a.m. (8 hours total) will have a different overall composition of sleep - biased towards more non-REM - than someone who sleeps from 3a.m. to 11a.m. (also 8 hours total), who is likely to experience more REM. Indeed, if you afford yourself the luxury of sleeping in later during the weekends, you'll experience this phenomenon, with a greater likelihood of having more dreams due to the increased proportion of REM sleep."

Rfagazzi

Rfagazzi

MuscleHead
Mar 15, 2012
I think a normal sleep schedule is the key. I use to bounce at a club until 2:30am. Then I bounced at an after hours club until sun up. I was usually in bed by 9:00am. Get up around 4 or 5pm and train. This was 4-5 days a week. Always felt like a million bucks too. Now, if I stay up past 11:00pm, I'm a mess the next day. Go figure......

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic