Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Shoulder Mobility And Shoulder Ache

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I'm bench only now since returning to the gym from my back surgery. I've noticed my shoulders are real tight and real stiff and the ROM is not what it was before I started focusing on bench press.

Also, to accompany this, I have aches in both shoulders. I think its in the front, not sure how to pin point it.

I've been doing internal/external rotations.

Today I did arm circles.

What else should I be doing to get my ROM back to normal and stop the pain without effecting my bench press progress?

Thanks.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I always like to do overhead rows before benching believe it or not, gets my shoulders nice and loose and warm.

Are you sleeping with your arm under the pillow by chance? This makes my shoulders pretty stiff for a good while.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
Have you ever heard of empty cans? They could possibly help, they have helped me. With really light weight dumb bells or just like 5-10lb plates.but if you felt any pain discomfort while performing, I probably wouldn't continue. Unless of course it's just good ole lactic acid pain, keep it goin. They really helped me range of motion and of course the internal/external rotations like you mentioned. After I tore my AC joint in high school I did these, a lot of tube/band exercises and stretches, and also light swimming. I hope you get full ROM back soon. Good luck turbo

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
How often are you benching

2 times a week right now. Not sure how long I will be doing that though. Not sure if I will be able to recover fast enough as progression continues.

I always like to do overhead rows before benching believe it or not, gets my shoulders nice and loose and warm.

Are you sleeping with your arm under the pillow by chance? This makes my shoulders pretty stiff for a good while.

I do catch myself with my arm under the pillow sometimes. It makes my hand fall asleep too.

What are over head rows ? Could you explain them please ?

Have you ever heard of empty cans? They could possibly help, they have helped me. With really light weight dumb bells or just like 5-10lb plates.but if you felt any pain discomfort while performing, I probably wouldn't continue. Unless of course it's just good ole lactic acid pain, keep it goin. They really helped me range of motion and of course the internal/external rotations like you mentioned. After I tore my AC joint in high school I did these, a lot of tube/band exercises and stretches, and also light swimming. I hope you get full ROM back soon. Good luck turbo

I have not, can you explain them please?

Last edited:
IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
2 times a week right now. Not sure how long I will be doing that though. Not sure if I will be able to recover fast enough as progression continues.

I do catch myself with my arm under the pillow sometimes. It makes my hand fall asleep too.

What are over head rows ? Could you explain them please ?

I have not, can you explain them please?

All of the videos I am finding for it are showing it very similar to delt raises but at an angle between anterior and lateral raises, about 45 degrees. They are instructing to do this having your thumbs already pointed in and raise like you were emptying a can of soup or pop or whatever. But the way I did it was starting with palms facing in and would rotate them progressively on the rise to the top until my thumbs were pointing down like I was emptying the cans. These worked forme, but perhaps the variation I'm seeing in the videos may be a little safer. Here are a few links to videos

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nwMFih5BABA&desktop_uri=/watch?v=nwMFih5BABA

Here is an advanced method I found
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5LQWr6ZZhTY&desktop_uri=/watch?v=5LQWr6ZZhTY

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wBzqu5j4E1M&desktop_uri=/watch?v=wBzqu5j4E1M

Hope these help bro

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
My old gym had an overhead row machine, seated, arms in over your head and you pull the weight from over your head down to your stomach. Called a seated pullover machine or seated chest pullover:

th

You can do it with a seated bench and cables as well:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/LatissimusDorsi/CBSeatedStraightArmPullover.html

Low weight should be fine, really warms shoulders up nicely.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
These machines are so awesome. I used to go heavy on these and use it as a variation of dumbbell pullovers on chest routines. If it is the one I'm thinking I see. Has the bar to grip while you contract right? I can see Hesse helping for sure at low weight and just getting that stretch in, will even help loosen the chest up a bit for your bench.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
These machines are so awesome. I used to go heavy on these and use it as a variation of dumbbell pullovers on chest routines. If it is the one I'm thinking I see. Has the bar to grip while you contract right? I can see Hesse helping for sure at low weight and just getting that stretch in, will even help loosen the chest up a bit for your bench.

Yes, I like these because I have a bad lower back and this really isolated the movement to concentrate on the shoulder area.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
Man typos all day on this iPad lol.i feel you on the lower back, it sucks. But definitely use this turbo if your gym has one available. You even get a good isometric contraction on the arms with this one.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Thanks IS and LK! Those movements look great! I'm gonna try all of them out and report back.

I'm sposed to bench again in a couple days, but idk. I feel pretty beat up from Tuesdays session still.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
No problem bro, I hope they all help. Good luck

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic