Members
Latest Member
jacobss

Selecting weights for next 5/3/1 cycle after completing the first

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Quick question. I am finishing up my first 5/3/1 cycle this week (and then deloading next week). The standard protocol seems a little "one size fits all" for what you add to the next months progression. I think just saying 5 lbs or 10 lbs is too arbitrary. I tend to think in more percentages. As 5 lbs is not a lot to add to a 400lb bench (1.3%) but might be to a 200lb (2.5%) .

I was going to look to some guys with experience in this. I was going to use my last set of week 3 the "1+" set as a gauge. Normally on the Big but Boring method you dont do the "+" reps, but I am going to do them this week on the singles. I think this will be a good assessment of where I need to move my weights as I think I played it a little conservative on some. (I know I did on squats).

EG, if I was able to get 4-5 reps on my "1+" set, is that an indicator I should make a bigger weight jump, vs just getting 1 or 2? Can you use your "1+" set as a good indicator for this?

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
You are only supposed to add 5 pounds to your 1rm after each cycle. This ensures that you hit rep pr's, and keeps you from stalling out fast.

It's hard to do because you wanna increase the weight. I'm running the same program right now. But it's giving me a chance to hit rep pr's. those are just as good as 1rm pr's.

T

Thedrum1

Feb 23, 2013
I only do 5 pound jumps. If I hit 5+ reps on the 1+ rep I may do a 10lb increase. I've been running 5/3/1 for about 6 months and have only done the 10lb jump once.

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
After you finish the first cycle, you add five pounds to your 1RM calculations for the two upper-body lifts and 10 pounds to your 1RM for the squat and deadlift. I recalculate my percentages after each cycle though.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
OK.....point taken. It is definitely something where I need to check my ego for sure!

I just felt like I may have started out a little low....but after doing some reading, that is the whole point of the program. If I am going to start changing the progression, what is the point of doing a specific program in the first place.

I am going to put my faith in those that know more then I and just run with it.
It just feels so strange to be leaving so much in the tank so to speak. I need to give it a chance. On a good note, many of my little aches and pains from overuse stuff has cleared considerably.

FWIW, today on OHP, I did 6 reps for my "1+" set.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I know exactly how you feel mg. But apparently, the weights are going to get heavy in the future. so heavy, to a point to where we will have to reset the numbers again.

I'm just trying to focus on pr's now. It's really a confidence booster.

Last edited:
Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Every third cycle I will actually go for prs on my third week and reset if I need to

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
FWIW, today on OHP, I did 6 reps for my "1+" set.

For your press you can take 6 reps and calculate what your 1 rep max is and start working off of those numbers if you want. The formula used for this is: weight/(1.0278-(.0278*reps) So lets say you did 200lbs for 6 reps your new 1rm would be 232lbs. Then use that number to calculate your percentages.

I only do this when my 1+ set is over 5 reps anything less than that I stay the course.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
For your press you can take 6 reps and calculate what your 1 rep max is and start working off of those numbers if you want. The formula used for this is: weight/(1.0278-(.0278*reps) So lets say you did 200lbs for 6 reps your new 1rm would be 232lbs. Then use that number to calculate your percentages.

I only do this when my 1+ set is over 5 reps anything less than that I stay the course.

Would you still calculate off 90% of that newly calculated 1rm? Or would that be considered my "training 1rm" as it was taken after doing several sets?.

I am sure my true rested 1rm would be ever greater as this was after two other sets.

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
Would you still calculate off 90% of that newly calculated 1rm? Or would that be considered my "training 1rm" as it was taken after doing several sets?.

I am sure my true rested 1rm would be ever greater as this was after two other sets.

It's not 100% accurate and you are most likely correct that you could lift more but for the purpose of this training method you would use that # from the formula above to base your percentages off of. After a few months all of this will be dialed in and will become more natural.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic