Latest Member
Blackenalma
What's New?

Road to RUM @165

_3M_

_3M_

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2015
Interesting... I've been thinking of squatting in flat soled shoes and most here will tell you that's something I haven't done in over 6 years. I'm thinking with my setup/technique flat soled shoes will serve me better.

Congrats on the PR....

Thanks man! @BotherIron

When I was first learning to squat my mobility was so bad that I could squat down to depth without coming up on my toes or without leaning really far forward so my exercise physiology professor suggested I try oly shoes (he's a USAPL lifter) he told me that with the elevated heal I'd be able to sit back more during my squat and also be able to reach depth so I tried it and it really helped this was about 2 or so years ago, I didn't know much about powerlifting at the time and he was strong so I listened. So ever since then I've been squatting in oly shoes. From time to time I would warmup in flat shoes but always change after the first couple of sets.

I'm pretty sure SAD told me I should try squatting with flat shoes but I didn't listen lol.

One of my lifting teammates is switching to Chucks. So I'll be interested to see how that works for him.

Thanks chris!

I was really surprised with how much more comfortable and powerful I felt. But being that I'm 5 weeks out idk if making a change like this a good idea. I also had to squat low bar to allow a little bit more of a forward lean. I hate low bar squatting though, but if I keep having days like this I think I can learn to love it lol.

Reactions: SAD
SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
You're pretty sure? You know damn well I've been trying to get you into flat shoes since I met you, haha.

_3M_

_3M_

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2015
You're pretty sure? You know damn well I've been trying to get you into flat shoes since I met you, haha.

Ok that may be true haha. I probably should have listened. I'm gonna see how it continues to feel, just hate making a change so close to a meet you know. But if it improves my squat then **** it, flat shoes it is.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
Very nice video brother! Those squats look great. You are explosive from the hole, and depth looks great! Congrats on the PR man, that was huge. Are you going to stick with the flat soled shoes from here out now?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Thanks man! @BotherIron

When I was first learning to squat my mobility was so bad that I could squat down to depth without coming up on my toes or without leaning really far forward so my exercise physiology professor suggested I try oly shoes (he's a USAPL lifter) he told me that with the elevated heal I'd be able to sit back more during my squat and also be able to reach depth so I tried it and it really helped this was about 2 or so years ago, I didn't know much about powerlifting at the time and he was strong so I listened. So ever since then I've been squatting in oly shoes. From time to time I would warmup in flat shoes but always change after the first couple of sets.

I'm pretty sure @SAD told me I should try squatting with flat shoes but I didn't listen lol.

I wore them b/c I was an Oly lifter before a PLer and when performing the Oly classical lifts you just can't get it done without them. I never switched b/c I learned to squat that way and it worked very well... but "well" isn't good enough if there is "better".

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
"To each, his own" is definitely applicable here.

As far as switching this close to the meet, I can see both sides. I think it'll largely depend on your honest assessment of how it feels and the collaborative assessment of how it looks to you and your coach and Ms. 3M and those that know your squat best.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I would like to see a video taken from the front while squatting.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Incredible PR brother at 425 x 5!!!

Smashing and wild!!!

Congrats!!!

_3M_

_3M_

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2015
Very nice video brother! Those squats look great. You are explosive from the hole, and depth looks great! Congrats on the PR man, that was huge. Are you going to stick with the flat soled shoes from here out now?

Thanks brother! IronSoul

I'm gonna see how it continues to feel the next few training sessions. I gotta run it by PillarofBalance and see how he feels about it. But I think that if it feels comfortable and I feel stronger squatting that way then why not run with it you know.

My squat has been lagging for a while, maybe this is the mental boost I needed to help me get stronger.

I wore them b/c I was an Oly lifter before a PLer and when performing the Oly classical lifts you just can't get it done without them. I never switched b/c I learned to squat that way and it worked very well... but "well" isn't good enough if there is "better".

Very well said BrotherIron

I have alot of respect for oly lifters, the amount of physical strength and power that those movements require is unbelievable. How was the transition for you from oly lifting to powerlifting?

"To each, his own" is definitely applicable here.

As far as switching this close to the meet, I can see both sides. I think it'll largely depend on your honest assessment of how it feels and the collaborative assessment of how it looks to you and your coach and Ms. 3M and those that know your squat best.
SAD I def agree. Ms. 3M was really impressed actually, but she did pretty much say the same thing as you.

on a side note, Ms 3M has been begging me to let her do my lift offs on bench at RUM lol. POB made a comment about a video where he said he was impressed with her hand off and she was like see! Let me just do it. I said no of course lol

I would like to see a video taken from the front while squatting.

Ill send a vid of the front and the back...No gheyness intended

_3M_

_3M_

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2015
Incredible PR brother at 425 x 5!!!

Smashing and wild!!!

Congrats!!!

Thanks alot bull! I was psyched afterwards, the meet is right around the corner and I'm feeling stronger every day.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Very well said @BrotherIron

I have alot of respect for oly lifters, the amount of physical strength and power that those movements require is unbelievable. How was the transition for you from oly lifting to powerlifting?

The transition was slow process with squats and quite easy with pulls. I was a high bar, narrow stance squatter but slowly transitioned to a low bar, med stance squatter. I don't squat wide like PoB and others but I'm working on widening my stance with time. Pulling was easy b/c it just meant get your shoulders behind the bar instead of in front. Benching was something very foreign to me b/c to be honest most Oly lifters in the US don't perform any benching movements but they do a lot of OHP movements so I had to learn how to bench properly and I'm still learning. That's the one thing I like about PLing... I'm always learning.

Now as for meets... it's a night and day difference. Oly meets are quiet. They require everyone to be silent. PLing meets have music, people cheering, noise, and are a lot more fun.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic