Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Proven alternative to squats?

P

plank

Sep 16, 2010
Just want to pick your brains on something. Due to countless operations on both my knees I'm finding it increasingly difficult to do squats.

Now I am aware that squats are one of (if not THE) most important exercise to do when lifting.

So my question is what is the next best thing that will not put as much stress on my knees?

Thanks in advance

T

Tony Delk

Sep 15, 2010
Look, I don't want to be a dick but this whole "X is the single most important exercise" thing has to die, and die quickly.

Are you a powerlifter? Yeah, sorry, there's no way around squatting, simply because it's one of the 3 exercises that are required of you at competitions.

Are you a bodybuilder? You don't need to squat at all. Any exercise that will stimulate the target muscle over the full range of motion is good to go. Whether that is traditional leg press, leg extensions, or the unilateral 37° decline inverted bosu ball knee bending machine. It doesn't matter.

I used to think I have to squat in order to get great legs, being totally stubborn, completely ignoring that they're not a great exercise for me because of some structural issues (long femurs and general hip mobility issues). My legs improved quickly after I binned the old paradigm of "I have to squat" and switched to 15-20 reps on the leg press with pussy weight.

Know what you want and then find the smart way to get there. There's nothing functional about blowing your knees out.

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
Box squat in a Smith Machine. I realize most think that is blasphemy but I have worked on my depth with the smith it's a great place to do work and if you have issues you can give it a shot.

What kind of problems with your knees are you having? I've had my right ACL reconstructed with a hamstring graft and quad looping T braid. I just snapped my right foot in half all bones and ligaments gone I have 8 big ass screws and a 4" plate that was 6 months ago absolutely crushed me and I just squatted 700lbs for reps the other day. I think anything is possible but your injuries could be far worse then mine or different enough to make it impossible but I would just go slow and think long and get back under the bar. But I'm not quite right in the head.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Squat.... I have 2 cadavers knees (had a bone disease as a kid) and I squat A LOT. If you squat properly, your knees will be fine. If your knees are bothering you, then you're not squatting with correct technique.

Part of my extensive PT was.... wait for it.... wait for it.... squatting. It can be done and should be done.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
Squatting is the most important thing you can do with your life.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Use Squats to correct your knee problem- just begin with light , partial movements. Im an old bag and injured my hips and knees and had to learn how to walk again in PT , later I took several months to learn how to Squat heavy by using light weights and partials etc. Now Im back to Squatting again took actual 10 months to walk again and two years to be back to Squats , Hack Squats, Deads etc. You sort of have to place EGO aside and humble yourself but in long run you can get there. Just believe ! I kid you not

oldschool1967

oldschool1967

VIP Member
Aug 6, 2011
I have read,(believe it or not) that squats actually put more stress on your lumbars..that being said, 3 strips of my hamstring were fashioned into a makeshift acl, with the meniscus totally gone, BUT, in the last 3 years since that injury and my retirement, my squats were as strong and productive as ever!

It killed me, but I had to suck it up and start all over again, with just the 45 lb bar. Week after week, month after month, my knee ''got better''..till I was right back, and more, pre surgery!

Good luck and never give up on the squat!
'I would rather squat 315 that legpress 1000..'

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
From a bodybuilder's perspective, squats can be removed from an advanced lifters routines. I will not lie and say I built my legs foundation with Accessory leg movements. I squatted heavily for nearly 20yrs but my shoulders cannot handle racking the bar anymore wether high or low bar. So I Leg Press and use a Squat machine like this one. I has allowed me to continue to develop my legs without having to bein pain all the time. image.jpeg

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
How about a pitshark?
Or a belt squat

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic