Programming for your Powerlifting goals

Discussion in 'Powerlifting Training and Strength techniques' started by ChrisLindsay9, May 25, 2016.

1. _3M_

_3M_ VIP Member

Aug 10, 2015
    Lmao. Does it help if I say that I did it for all the hot crossfit chick's?

2. ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9 VIP Member

Jun 17, 2013
    This is good stuff, appreciate the opinions/arguments. I pretty much was hoping a discussion like this would emerge.

Maybe a good distinction to make for people who consider themselves competitive powerlifters is there are three states of training: an off-season, an in-season, and peaking.
    • The off-season is where one could spend time on learning new exercises, alternating competition lifts with other lift variations (SLDLs, RDLs, Floor Pressing) for a training cycle, bodybuilding/hypertrophy style lifting, and other high-rep programs.
    • The in-season is where one would want to focus their training on the competition lifts and follow a periodization/RPE protocol that allows for sufficient volume and weight that is optimal for big PRs on the platform.
    • The peaking/meet preparation period seems to have an established paradigm of winnowing volume, but as PoB pointed out - may not hold for all powerlifters (I don't think it necessarily does for me).
    And so instead of wondering if elements of a person's programming is optimal for a competitive lifter, maybe a better thing to wonder is whether his or her program is more of an off-season training program versus an in-season one?

UncleAl and _3M_ like this.
  3. UncleAl

UncleAl VIP Member

Jun 20, 2012
    How could there be any other reason?

4. BrotherIron

BrotherIron TID Board Of Directors

Mar 6, 2011
    That would be your only saving grace.

5. porky little keg

porky little keg TID Board Of Directors

May 21, 2011
    There are different stages of powerlifting competition...... when you first start training you need a lot more general strength. After a year or two it should just be work on the main movements and accessory work focussed on the weak points...... at the 5+ year mark of competition seems to be right before most lifters see their first bigger injuries and that;s the point when you really need to focus on bulletproofing everything. I neglected that for a decade and never did more than a single for main movements. Accessory work was low reps too.... now, I have more power than I can always put to the bar without getting hurt so a large part of training has shifted to injury recovery and prevention. Main movements are still heavy singles and doubles, but I've had to add a lot more accessory work in the 20-30 rep range to build up all the little weaknesses and tweaks. Credit where credit is due, I learned this from Matt Minuth who clearly knows a lot about staying on top of the game for years.