lk has no balls
What's New?

Program vs. Instinctive Training

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Re: Program vs. Instinctive

Anyone who calls random chaos "instinctive training" is out of touch with reality....

Growinboy

Growinboy

MuscleHead
Sep 25, 2010

You need to use a mix of both if you have a set competitive goal in mind...

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
I instinctively train in a calculated way. I create my own programs, follow them and switch them up.

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
I think the problem is the fact that there is a distinction between the two. A lot of programs fail because they are designed improperly and executed without any leniency. I see a program or a routine as something designed with a particular purpose whether its goal is to increase speed, size, overall athleticism or power there needs to be a purpose and a way to achieve that purpose through actions with a calculable result. The instinctive or flexible part needs to be in there as well, as an athlete you need to be able to make on the fly adjustments because strength and ability will vary from day to day, week to week. One week you might be squatting X amount for 5 reps and the next session you might not be able to hit 4.

A really good program will allow for all aspects of size and strength to be trained and allow the variability within its program to keep progress going forward.

S

Slag

Apr 21, 2011

I'm kind of in the same boat as AlltheWay, I have no idea what equipment will be available or how crowded it'll be with shit-faced faggot teens when I walk into the gym so I make do. I'll do a couple exercises religiously but not always in the same order and use multiple techniques in a workout.

no need to get so angry you were a kid once too!

H

HammerHead

Apr 26, 2011

With programs I hit plateaus quick, but with listening to my instincts I have progressed much faster.

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
I think the problem is the fact that there is a distinction between the two. A lot of programs fail because they are designed improperly and executed without any leniency. I see a program or a routine as something designed with a particular purpose whether its goal is to increase speed, size, overall athleticism or power there needs to be a purpose and a way to achieve that purpose through actions with a calculable result. The instinctive or flexible part needs to be in there as well, as an athlete you need to be able to make on the fly adjustments because strength and ability will vary from day to day, week to week. One week you might be squatting X amount for 5 reps and the next session you might not be able to hit 4.

A really good program will allow for all aspects of size and strength to be trained and allow the variability within its program to keep progress going forward.

Spot on IMHO. I have a set routine for every workout, but these days nagging injuries force me to alter my routine often. Currently I have a "sprung" rib which pops out 3 to 4X per day, a sore rotator cuff, an elbow that hates anything overhead and a left hammy that cramps doing high reps. So yeah, I have to be flexible and instinctive at times.

Hawk

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
Its been a long road from hell sence ive trained any program...I feel programs are mainly for newbies more or less..Once u have years under your belt and u learn what works for u u dont need programs to reach your peak.Once u become a master lifter why would any master need sheets of paper to follow a routine...He should have it stamped within his brain.dw

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I tend to over train if I dont follow a program.I dont follow it 100% .My accesories always change but my main lift is on a program.
Where we do events on sundays may come in to play under not a program.

OK OK OK I do a little of both.

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
Its been a long road from hell sence ive trained any program...I feel programs are mainly for newbies more or less..Once u have years under your belt and u learn what works for u u dont need programs to reach your peak.Once u become a master lifter why would any master need sheets of paper to follow a routine...He should have it stamped within his brain.dw

i dont want to step on anyones toes here or anywhere...im not saying programs are not good....Im just old and set my ways...training come natural to me and how i train...I never know really what lift im going to do if i work legs or back or chess,,,I will keep the baiscs but incorp secoundary lifts which are all a surprize untill i decide.I do see alot of programs listed in mags and such and most of the ones i see now of days is complete overkill.I see no benfit to keep training a muscle that has been torn down allready.once the muscle is torn down the jod is over.dw

Growinboy

Growinboy

MuscleHead
Sep 25, 2010
EXACTLY DW... Every young kid in the gym thinks he needs to do 5 exercises for his chest because he sees it in the mags... I had a guy (at least 100lbs lighter than me) say to me last month that he couldnt understand how I got so big just doing sometimes as few as 2 exercises!

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
As I get older and more experience under my belt less is definetly more.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic