Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

powershrugs- building huge traps!

oldschool1967

oldschool1967

VIP Member
Aug 6, 2011
hello guys! i just wanted to let you in on a gone but not forgotten amazing trap building exercise, powershrugs as they are aptly named. iv'e gotten more trap development with these than any other exercise. first of all, get to your power rack or half-cage and set the pins just above knee level. after a few warm up sets of standard shrugs, time to get to work! i like using an over/under grip on these, just a personal preference, un-rack the weight, of course, now instead of just pulling up with your traps, first drive up through your legs simultaneously shrugging the weight up as you would a 'normal' shrug. you will be able to handle a shitload more weight than you could a standard shrug, and the extra weight will boost your trap mass. give your shrugs a new twist, im sure after a month of these you will be very surprised when you look in the mirror and your traps are the first thing you notice! be sure to change up your grip as you would deads, nothing will hit your traps as these will, imo! try them and let me know how well it's going!

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
I don't like the drive through your legs part, but I know and see the value in doing heavy shrugs. I do them all the time.

oldschool1967

oldschool1967

VIP Member
Aug 6, 2011
the drive gets the weight moving the first few inches, and if done correctly, all traps bro! forgot to add, dont rack the weight till all reps are done.

O

Ozkon

Aug 3, 2011
I have a training program for my varsity basketball team and it alternates between this movement and the standard shrug, every 4 weeks. Personally, I find that the power movement does a lot with my explosive power in terms of jumping - perhaps this is just because my coach has instructed me to perform these in a way to target that result. While I do exercise the traps in the second part of the movement, I find that the first part is really associated with my lower body. In the standard shrug, where there is no explosive movement at the beginning, I definitely isolate the traps.

I can agree that the weight is easier to increase through the power movement, because of the extra force coming from your legs/calves, but I also find that the impact of the bar during its descent is much more difficult to handle (than in a regular shrug), as you do not have the assistance of the explosive movement on the way down.

luvthetest

luvthetest

Jan 27, 2011
heres another great trap tip...when doing your deads shrug your shoulders up about half way and hold them there while you dead lift during your warm ups and up to your mod heavy work sets...nothing will put mass on the traps like heavy deads.

B

BikerTrash

Rottens cookie dealer
Mar 19, 2011
My traps grow very quick and seem to be prominant , I love the deadlifts and shrugs as well and during my deadlifts I usually do the shrug half way up myself . It is interesting the OP and I will have to give that a try . thanks for the info above .

O

Ozkon

Aug 3, 2011
The concept of shrugging while doing deads sounds pretty good. I'm definitely going to give it a try, as well!

luvthetest

luvthetest

Jan 27, 2011
The concept of shrugging while doing deads sounds pretty good. I'm definitely going to give it a try, as well!

your not shrugging while dead lifting...after your set to make your first pull from the floor shrug your shoulders up about half way and hold them there while you dead lift dont try to shrug and dead at the same time you will most likely hurt your back...all focus needs to be on the deads..and only hold your shoulders up on your warm ups and up to a mod heavy weight once you hit 5 reps forget about holding your shoulders up and pull normal...and do these light a few times untell you are use to them and find your grove.

O

Ozkon

Aug 3, 2011
your not shrugging while dead lifting...after your set to make your first pull from the floor shrug your shoulders up about half way and hold them there while you dead lift dont try to shrug and dead at the same time you will most likely hurt your back...all focus needs to be on the deads..and only hold your shoulders up on your warm ups and up to a mod heavy weight once you hit 5 reps forget about holding your shoulders up and pull normal...and do these light a few times untell you are use to them and find your grove.

Ohhh, okay! I get it. Thanks for clarifying. I clearly misunderstood the post regarding this.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic