Members
Latest Member
AKC83

Powerlifting and Bodybuilding

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
The do co-exist but it's hard to do well in both which is why most choose one or the other. Many bbers do PLer routines in the offseason but their objectives are very different. One is all about numbers ie. strength in 3 lifts. The other is all about symmetry, proportion, and aesthetics.

Thanks for that BI. I'm learning a lot.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I've seen a lot of bodybuilders cross over to powerlifting and a few powerlifters cross over in to bodybuilding....... but very very few ever do both at the same time.

Most guys doing both actually end up doing neither as they end up crap at either of them.

I enjoy working out with my bodybuilder buddies, and they occasionally come train with me for fun or to add in some thickness to their physiques. Bodybuilders can definitely be strong, but usually it's just a big bodybuilder doing a meet for fun......... Lots of good powerlifters start as bodybuilders but it's more of a one THEN the other not both simultaneously.

Do what you want, but most guys who want to "Powerbuild" end up never competing at a high level in either and just like to live as off season bodybuilders year round.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Great discussion guys and an interesting thread.

When I was younger I was all about bodybuilding (never did a conventional deadlift until I was 42 years old) but I still worked on getting a big max squat. Last couple years I've done more of a powerlifting routine, but due to injuries I am moving back towards bodybuilding again.

I've done 2 PL comps and will compete again. Just need to heal up a bit.

kyle grey

kyle grey

MuscleHead
May 15, 2012
Do what you want, but most guys who want to "Powerbuild" end up never competing at a high level in either and just like to live as off season bodybuilders year round.

Good point .

It is interesting and if you were into BBing in the late 80's to the Dorian era there was a school of thought that you shouldn't do deadlifts especially not singles and the like cause they thickened up your waist . I think Mike Francois and then Dorian changed attitudes to this but it could also be argued they both were a little blocky , how much can be attributed to one lift I'm not certain . Dorian also deadlifted pre-exhaust style right at the end of his back workout .
I think prior to this there was much more emphasis on performing chin-ups for a BB as the wide flaring lats of Lee Haney was what everyone was chasing .

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I think many of us started out as bbers or bb'esque training. Not to many kids wake up and say I'm going to work on the big 3, I'm going to work on the classical oly lifts, or I'm going to work on my log press, keg carry, etc... They see bbing magazines and want to be like those guys b/c they looked jacked. It isn't till later on when they realize how ghey bbing is so they choose a real sport.... hand to throw that dig in there.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
I think many of us started out as bbers or bb'esque training. Not to many kids wake up and say I'm going to work on the big 3, I'm going to work on the classical oly lifts, or I'm going to work on my log press, keg carry, etc... They see bbing magazines and want to be like those guys b/c they looked jacked. It isn't till later on when they realize how ghey bbing is so they choose a real sport.... hand to throw that dig in there.

Oh I'm discovering. :D power lifting is more team oriented and I like that

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012

Definitely man.

I had no idea that it was like that when I did my first competition. After the meet I realized how positive everything was. It was great.

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
I literally switched from a bodybuilding approach to powerlifting approach after going to a powerlifting competition, even though I had very little to no experience with squats or deadlifts, because of the team oriented-ness of the sport. Seeing all the competitiors rooting for each other, helping out with belts and suits. I knew I wanted to be a part of that environment.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
This has brought some good points.
It makes me think

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic