Votes: 11 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 50.0%

• Total voters
shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
Howdy all! My s.o. is a powerlifter and I am working at being a bodybuilder :) He is stubborn and says I am training wrong, because I occasionally (like every 2 months) train with single reps to check my strength progression. My normal training is 8-12 reps, though I do cycle in 5x5 for a change here and there (depends on how things are going re-strength in the 8-12 range).

So, the question is...how many bodybuilders (whether competetive or not) train using singles to find 1rm.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
I voted no. That's not to say I've never done it. Sometimes by accident... thought I had 3 but only got one lol. I don't see anything wrong with doing it every once in a while. Variety is good.

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
I voted no. That's not to say I've never done it. Sometimes by accident... thought I had 3 but only got one lol. I don't see anything wrong with doing it every once in a while. Variety is good.

Same here. My joints will not take training for max singles, which is an art to itself. I am old. I train heavy, but I train for the pump.

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
see..I was hoping for more support for my side LOL...you guys! My aim is to increase strength AND size...and I want to bench my body weight eventually LOL. I don't think you have to limit yourself to a specific set of rules though...if I want to see how much I can bench, I don't think that contradicts my training for size...if anything it throws a lil shock value in and that is good for progression :)

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
see..I was hoping for more support for my side LOL...you guys! My aim is to increase strength AND size...and I want to bench my body weight eventually LOL. I don't think you have to limit yourself to a specific set of rules though...if I want to see how much I can bench, I don't think that contradicts my training for size...if anything it throws a lil shock value in and that is good for progression :)

I fully agree with you, my thought is that training for size eventually you're going to hit a sticking point waiting for stength to catch up and vice versa as ultimately you can't have one without the other to a point. So mixing I up occasionally is a ggood tool to prevent plateauing

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
I fully agree with you, my thought is that training for size eventually you're going to hit a sticking point waiting for stength to catch up and vice versa as ultimately you can't have one without the other to a point. So mixing I up occasionally is a ggood tool to prevent plateauing

I fully agree with both of you--not because you are right (which you probably are), but because you are both stronger than me and I am afraid of you. LOL

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
back when i was a competeing PL...i would train in cycles...i would train 6 to 8 weeks going into a power meet then after the meet i would go back into strengh training for 6 to 8 weeks...This allows u to keep a balance between your fast twich and slow twich...This is very important...when i train for strengh i train anywhere from 6 to 8 reps a set.....When i train for power my rep range is around 1 to 5 reps a set....I think what your doing is perfect....But now if your training towards a power meet u need to stay away from reps as such....once inwile its ok if your fucking off but the key to gaining to gaining power is set a goal of reaching atleast 5lbs gain per week...
From what i read in no way shape or fashion your doing nothing wrong...What our doing is right...I order to make a muscle grow u got to shock it..Which means u have to hit that muscle deep within the fiber of it...U have to push pass that rentention level your muscle is use to...So dont listen to much to anyone..become your own master and live and learn...dw

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
BB's typically don't do singles.

kyle grey

kyle grey

MuscleHead
May 15, 2012
I typically didn't but I don't necessarily think thats correct . I think if you schedule 1RM's and really warm up thoroughly they have a place, I think you will notice a big difference in your overall muscle thickness and tendon and ligament strength .This is very apparent if you look at the physiques of the likes of Kazmier ,Sigmarsson and especially Welsh strongman Gary Taylor who was huge and conditioned .

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I'm not a BBer (I'm a PLer), but you can def build size in the 1 - 3 rep range. It's a misconception that you have to perform high reps to cause growth.

pips

pips

MuscleHead
Jul 12, 2011
my wife and i both do them but they are scheduled say a week we leaving on vacation or a busy week were training is gonna be hard.we have to take a few weeks off here and there with the push pull we are running now.the boss hogg routine.so the 1rm gives us a good gauge of were we are at.i think u are doing fine do what feels best.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic