Threads
Members
Latest Member
Joannafit

please help my bench shirt form

H

hungryh

May 14, 2011
Don't sweat the size of the shirt yet - it's easier to learn a loose shirt. Just have the sleeves tightened after your first meet. For now you can get more out of it by jacking the collar and/or sleeves.

A few big points:

Have someone pull your belt down as you set up- it's cutting off your belly from rising up to the bar.

Find side spotters for a 3-man lift off or bench in a cage. Your spotter looks nervous, the liftoff looks bad, and if you break form and the bar comes over your face you'll end up ugly. Better yet find a team to help you.

Take your lift off with arms straight, tuck your elbows as you break and go straight for your belly/sternum. You are breaking with elbows out and going so slow that the shirt, albeit loose, is locking up.

Before the shirt starts to lock up, start pulling it in. Do a row. More speed will also help you touch. You can easily touch with this weight but your form is off and there's no momentum to help. The shirt didn't completely lock up either - you just ran away from the pressure. Learn to love the "eyes popping out" feeling.

I'm willing to bet that one workout with a good team is all it'll take to get you to touch with around 200kg. If you need help finding a team to train with - PM me.

wow. a brilliant reply. I will copy and paste this and use it as a bible my next bench session lol. and about the eyes popping, my boss thought I had been in a fight today. my eyes are black all around the sockets, there are strong bruises there from the pressure in my head while I was trying the shirt. also, my nose bled non stop

H

hungryh

May 14, 2011
Im getting trained today by Dave McGuinness, an Irish record holder in equipped bench, hopefully he'll sort me out!

H

hungryh

May 14, 2011
Im getting trained today by Dave McGuinness, an Irish record holder in equipped bench, hopefully he'll sort me out!

H

hungryh

May 14, 2011
okay guys o I have a comp on saturday in Hercules gym, and Dave convinced me to go equipped, so I am. thing is I've only ever touched in it once, and right now Ive an injured elbow. scared shitless something will go but going with my usual attitude of **** it hashtag yolo

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Why would you go a meet in gear if your not used to it ? Is raw an option ?

H

hungryh

May 14, 2011
Why would you go a meet in gear if your not used to it ? Is raw an option ?

yes it is. it is not a national or anything, the season is over, it is hercules club gym comp. kind of a prestigeous comp , its not something anyone can pay into, its a gym where all the top bodybuilders and powerlifters in the east train.

just thought it'd be a good opportunity to try it out, Im not taking it that seriously and not prepping for it, sure I'll only stop training 2 days before and will be going out for a friends bday 2 days before and getting locked lol

the deadlift suit there's nothing to it, just the bench shirt is what I am worried about.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
If you have nothing invested in it then just go for it.

Open conservatively and use some speed to get an easier touch. If you were traveling out of the country to compete, spending thousands then maybe play it safe. But if your only investment is driving across town - go for it.

H

hungryh

May 14, 2011
If you have nothing invested in it then just go for it.

Open conservatively and use some speed to get an easier touch. If you were traveling out of the country to compete, spending thousands then maybe play it safe. But if your only investment is driving across town - go for it.

yeah I wouldnt have, but the comp is actually local (usually I have to spend the day travelling), and free. Also just bench and deadlift single lifts, still not got the hang of the squat suit

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic