shoeless1

shoeless1

Aug 4, 2012
the loser should have a blue waffle as their pic

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Got some new toys!!!! Average (grey) bands and monster mini (lil' black) bands from EliteFTS. I finally put them to use today for some squats, and boy are my legs trashed! I think the reverse band squat is my new favorite thing.

Bands are notes as AB for average bands, and MM for monster mini.

Box Squats
bar x 10
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 MM x 5
225 MM x 5
225 MM x 5
225 AB x 5 (first rep sucked me down lol)
225 AB x 5
225 AB x 5

Reverse Band Squat

405 AB x 5
405 AB x 5
405 AB x 5
405 AB x 5
405 AB x 5

Feelin good!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
PoB and Hips kickn' Ass!!

My elbow hurts like hell. I will need to see the doc and take some time off from bench and deads. However I will squat 3 x per week. Might do smolov actually.

Back squats with average bands
135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 3
405 x 1 put the rack down without me calling for it :(
405 x 2
405 x 2
405 x 2

Front squat
185 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 1
365 x 1 PR
405 x 0

I have an issue with front squats... I can't breathe in while holding the bar. I honestly think its an abdominal weakness.

BI you got any idea what to do about my air when I front squat?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
You can't breathe.... You feel lightheaded when you front squat? If that's the case it's b/c you're choking yourself with the bar. You want it to sit on your clavicles. Now the bar is up tight against your throat and if you're not careful you can actually pass out with the bar sitting there if it's to close to your throat. I've gotten light headed and almost dropped b/c I was basically giving myself a blunt choke (bar pushing against my throat).

It's a fine line between having it sit just right and the bar choking your ass out, lol. Finding that line will come with time.

You shouldn't breathe while you're performing the lift. You take in a big breath, pick up the bar, get set, take another breath, arch the shit out of your back, arch some more, and than perform the lift. Don't breathe out till you're coming back up out of the hole.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Ok so to be more specific. I take big air, unrack and step back then let it out. Problem comes up at this point. When I try to take in big air for the lift, I physically can't expand my diaphragm to take in the air. Like the weight is crushing me. I'm sure I'm holding it right cause I'm all red where you told me to hold it lol.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Ok so to be more specific. I take big air, unrack and step back then let it out. Problem comes up at this point. When I try to take in big air for the lift, I physically can't expand my diaphragm to take in the air. Like the weight is crushing me. I'm sure I'm holding it right cause I'm all red where you told me to hold it lol.

I'd like to see a side vid of you front squatting b/c you may not be arching enough. Are you pushing your chest up when you arch your back? Your elbow are up high to? There are a lot of details when front squatting exp when you get to the heavy weight (405 and up).

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
i have seen your front squats before and cant really see it being an abdominal weakness. are you using mixed grip or cross armed grip? if you are using mixed grip you may be too "compressed" to get the diaphragm to expand. but the only way to fix that would be get the elbows up more to allow for the big air.

just my 2 cents. you ramped up with 30 pound more than my max for these lol

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
i have seen your front squats before and cant really see it being an abdominal weakness. are you using mixed grip or cross armed grip? if you are using mixed grip you may be too "compressed" to get the diaphragm to expand. but the only way to fix that would be get the elbows up more to allow for the big air.

just my 2 cents. you ramped up with 30 pound more than my max for these lol

Bingo. I watched a vid and it's b/c your elbows aren't up (POB, told ya this in the shoutbox). They are pointed almost down. You need to keep your elbows up high, higher than you have them.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Alrighty then! I'll work on it. 405 right around the corner :) I need to hit a back squat PR too though...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic