Members
Latest Member
Nickobat
What's New?

PA's Training Log

Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara

Jun 14, 2016
Did my ~30 minute bike ride after work today. I usually don't track calories on Friday because we go out for dinner. I still eat my regular meals throughout the day and my dinner allocation is around 1000 calories anyway, so it works out about the same.

Heavy squats, block pulls and Bulgarian split squats tomorrow. Should be somewhere around 375-390x3 on squats. Block pulls I'm not sure as I haven't done RPE 10 in forever on them. Should be 550-600x1 most likely. It'll only be my second time doing Bulgarian split squats, so I'm guessing 175ish for 5x7.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Weight: 216lbs
Total calories: 4496

View attachment 8533

101% macros apparently.

SFB Bully Yoga Wave 1, Week 1, Day 2

Short cardio warm-up (didn't ride my bike today)
Worked up to 275 for 5x5 competition paused bench press
Worked up to 275x3, 315x3, 330x3 @RPE 9 five count paused squat, then 10% load drop and 3x3 at 295 to hit RPE 9
Worked up to 250x7 floor press at RPE 9, then rep drop to 250 for 4x5

Kinda had to rush a little towards the end, had to put a battery in my fiancee's mom's truck and get gas and shower and dinner. Not enough hours in the day.

Here's the highlights of today's lIfts. I'm filming everything to better judge RPE. Some of my ramp up sets I could swear were 9-10 and now looking at the video again I'm not sure I ever hit 9. Apparently my perception is very distorted. Anyway, long vid incoming.

My lifts are all still way down and feeling weak, I guess from such a long calorie deficit. Hopefully now that I'm in a surplus I'll get back on track.
Paused squats were great. Stayed nice and tight.

On comp bench set your feet and dig in while squeezing your ass. Your feet would rock toes to heel during your sets. Plant them hard.

Floor press try it with your legs straight out.

All good shit.

Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara

Jun 14, 2016
Paused squats were great. Stayed nice and tight.

On comp bench set your feet and dig in while squeezing your ass. Your feet would rock toes to heel during your sets. Plant them hard.

Floor press try it with your legs straight out.

All good shit.

Thanks, coach. I'll work on the bench and floor press next time I do them. I'll get some vids tomorrow and put them with Tuesday's and shoot you an email or PM with a summary of the week and any questions.

Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara

Jun 14, 2016
Kinda botched today's session.

Got nice and warmed up at home, rode my bike to the gym and did comp squats. Wraps not on tight. Planned on 395x3 as a top set.

355x3 easy
375x3 easy
Decided to go 405x3 and it was fairly easy
365x3
365x3
365x3
365x3

Started warming up for sumo block pulls. Planned on 600x1 as the top set to repeat for 2-3
All warm-up sets felt great
540x1 easy
570x1 challenging, but not RPE 9-10
600 miss
Called it at this point and went to Bulgarian split squats
Worked up to 155x7 for a couple sets and then dropped the weight mid set and called it a day. I'll make up the sets I missed on it tomorrow.

Missing the block pull ruined my session. That's only the second deadlift rep I've missed in the last year. Missed 600 conventional in a mock meet in the gym two months ago. By how 570 felt I should have gotten it. Looked like a form issue by the video. Might've just been greedy.

Here's some highlights. 405x3 squat and the 4x3 at 365 and the 540, 570 and 600 miss. Couldn't film the split squats because someone was using the platform and that's where I film from.

I really wasn't sure what I was capable of on block pulls. I'd only done conventional block pulls before today, too. Couple that with lack of RPE judgment and this is the outcome. I'll try to be more conservative next time. At least the squats went well.

Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara

Jun 14, 2016
Also weighed in at 218lbs this morning, which is the highest morning weight I've had in awhile. I smashed a bunch of Mexican food last night, so maybe just water weight from the sodium. I've still got meals to eat, so I'll post macros later.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
405 x 3 @7 lol...

The block pull you missed, I think you should set up further away from the bar for these. Not much but your shins should be more vertical. It should basically be all hip. Pushing out and squeeze the ass thru. Hell could have been mental though since that's the pull that got away from you in the meet.

I think overall you might do better to never walk into the gym with an expectation.

You thought 395 x 3 on the squat. 405 was easy. Could have gone 420 but since you already passed the mental lock you had you cut it.

Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara

Jun 14, 2016
405 x 3 @7 lol...

The block pull you missed, I think you should set up further away from the bar for these. Not much but your shins should be more vertical. It should basically be all hip. Pushing out and squeeze the ass thru. Hell could have been mental though since that's the pull that got away from you in the meet.

I think overall you might do better to never walk into the gym with an expectation.

You thought 395 x 3 on the squat. 405 was easy. Could have gone 420 but since you already passed the mental lock you had you cut it.

Yeah, should've went higher on the squats and lower on deadlift. I guess you could say I'm a planner to a fault. Will have to work on that to succeed with RPE it seems.

I'll work on that next time on block pulls. Should probably stay in the high 500's. I actually pulled 600 sumo at my last meet, missed it conventional at my mock meet two months ago. Definitely had a score to settle with it that influenced my decision today. Hopefully it doesn't end up a mental thing after today.

I'll try going in with no expectations from here on. It's going to be hard because that's an alien concept for me, I've been meticulously planning every session for a long time. I'll just have to review every set on video before going to the next because what they feel like in my head is nothing like what they look like they should've felt like.

Do you prefer a client to push and maybe hit a 9.5 or 10 rather than 9 or be on the safe side and end up with an 8 or 8.5 sometimes rather than a 9? Obviously getting it perfect is ideal, but if I'm unsure do I go for it or play it safe?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Yeah, should've went higher on the squats and lower on deadlift. I guess you could say I'm a planner to a fault. Will have to work on that to succeed with RPE it seems.

I'll work on that next time on block pulls. Should probably stay in the high 500's. I actually pulled 600 sumo at my last meet, missed it conventional at my mock meet two months ago. Definitely had a score to settle with it that influenced my decision today. Hopefully it doesn't end up a mental thing after today.

I'll try going in with no expectations from here on. It's going to be hard because that's an alien concept for me, I've been meticulously planning every session for a long time. I'll just have to review every set on video before going to the next because what they feel like in my head is nothing like what they look like they should've felt like.

Do you prefer a client to push and maybe hit a 9.5 or 10 rather than 9 or be on the safe side and end up with an 8 or 8.5 sometimes rather than a 9? Obviously getting it perfect is ideal, but if I'm unsure do I go for it or play it safe?
Occasional overshoot is always better than a chronic undershoot

Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara

Jun 14, 2016
Weighed in at 217lbs today

Made up the 3x7 split squats I missed yesterday with 155
5x10 chin ups
5x10 hamstring curls 105
5x10 weighted dips +45
3x10 hammer curls 35's, 40's, 35's
3x20 abductor 110
3x20 adductor 110

Short bike ride to and from the gym.

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
nice stuff, PA ... it's tough to not have specific numbers to hit. it'll get a bit easier with more experience, but it never really goes away (that desire to hit a certain number). my first three weeks on Bully Yoga was constant undershoot (in retrospect), but part of it was conditioning/stamina building.

Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara

Jun 14, 2016
nice stuff, PA ... it's tough to not have specific numbers to hit. it'll get a bit easier with more experience, but it never really goes away (that desire to hit a certain number). my first three weeks on Bully Yoga was constant undershoot (in retrospect), but part of it was conditioning/stamina building.

Thanks, Chris. I think I'll get it with a little practice. I've got a few ideas on how to break myself of the expectations and just lift. It'll just take a little getting used to.

So far my only experience with RPE was running the RTS Generalized Intermediate Program last year. It was mostly a failure, my squat and deadlift went down a fair bit. I think due to chasing numbers and hitting RPE 10 constantly. I did hit a small bench PR and I think that's just because hitting RPE 10 on bench isn't as rough on the body as squat or deadlift.

I've gained a lot of experience and perspective since then, so I'm going to do better with this type of training this time around. Just need to put it all together and focus on the big picture.

Beedeezy

Beedeezy

Feb 18, 2015
Yes, it's only about five minutes or so of a bike ride from my house to the gym. I was driving just to warm up on the stationary bike and cool down and I figured it'd save time and gas to just ride there. Weather permitting anyway. I'm used to it now.
Damn, I think I'm going to start doing this too. Just mapped the distance and my gym is 3mi, that would take me 5-10 mins

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic