jacobss
What's New?

Oral Steroids Linked to Vitamin D Deficiency

F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
Oral Steroids Linked to Vitamin D Deficiency

Children taking the drugs are at high risk for low levels of the nutrient, study shows.

FRIDAY, Sept. 30 (HealthDay News) -- People taking oral steroids double their risk for severe vitamin D deficiency, which can lead to bone disease or muscle weakness, a new study indicates.

Researchers at Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, in New York City, said steroids might increase levels of an enzyme that inactivates the vitamin, resulting in osteomalacia (softening of the bones), rickets (softening of bones in children) or clinical myopathy (muscle weakness). They recommended that physicians monitor vitamin D levels of patients being treated with oral steroids.

"When doctors write that prescription for steroids and they're sending the patients for lab tests, they should also get the vitamin D level measured," study author Dr. Amy Skversky, an assistant professor of pediatrics at Einstein and Montefiore Medical Center, in New York City, said in a news release from the university.

In conducting the study, published in the Sept. 28 online edition of the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, researchers examined information compiled on more than 31,000 participants in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2001-2006.

Roughly 1 percent of those examined reported using oral steroids in the past month. Of those taking the drugs, 11 percent had severely low levels of vitamin D (defined as levels below 10 nanograms per milliliter of blood). Meanwhile, the study revealed that only 5 percent of those not taking the steroid had this vitamin deficiency.

The researchers noted the risk was most evident among participants under 18. These children and teens were 14 times more likely to have a severe vitamin D deficiency.

The study authors said that their findings did not apply to those using inhaled steroids.

More information

The U.S. National Institutes of Health provides more information on vitamin D deficiency.

SOURCE: Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, news release, Sept. 29, 2011

Ok boys and girls,you know what that means........GOT MILK???

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
interesting but what I hate is which steroids though? hate it when they don't mention which ones.

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
interesting but what I hate is which steroids though? hate it when they don't mention which ones.
good point..maybe they mean all of them in genral...fuck it we got the milk...dw

luvthetest

luvthetest

Jan 27, 2011
the thing i hate about these studies is how miss leading they are...im not a smart man be any means but lets see 1% of 31,000 had used orals in the past month right?? well thats 310 ppl so 11% of that is 31.4....not really that many when you break it down...and look at this...5% NOT taking any thing had low vit D thats 1534.5 ppl...did the ppl using orals have the vit D issue before?? are they heathy?? do they have bad genetics?? and the big question sence they are teens...how long have they been on them and what were they taking??

IDK fellas i just dont put a lotta thought into these studies because they are biest and one sided IMHO.

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
the thing i hate about these studies is how miss leading they are...im not a smart man be any means but lets see 1% of 31,000 had used orals in the past month right?? well thats 310 ppl so 11% of that is 31.4....not really that many when you break it down...and look at this...5% NOT taking any thing had low vit D thats 1534.5 ppl...did the ppl using orals have the vit D issue before?? are they heathy?? do they have bad genetics?? and the big question sence they are teens...how long have they been on them and what were they taking??

IDK fellas i just dont put a lotta thought into these studies because they are biest and one sided IMHO.

good soild understanding..this is why most stuidies i never even give the light of day...I rather go by self expeiance then anything..We are never the same at any given time or day...We are all difference .....we all have a difference dna....Its impossible to take any study as actual facts...dw

Q

Qwerty1424

MuscleHead
Mar 2, 2011
im not 2 worried good read tho

F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011

Yea,I would have liked to know as well.I'll see if I can find more info on this research.

F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011

You're taking the study the wrong way.I am the exact opposite in this.I like to educate myself with as much scientifically backed research as I can.Too much bro science out there passed down from so many so called experts its good to see something that has viable,document-able proof.The more knowledge you have on any subject the better.That way I can make smarter choices in the decisions I make based on this evidence.Do I hold these studies to be the "holy grail" of how I should live my life? Of course not,but with each piece of added knowledge you take in,you have something to go along with personal experiences.If and when things happen,you can go back to the things you've learned and say "Ok,maybe its because of this" and make changes in that particular area to see if it corrects the problem.Same as keeping a training log over the years,or blood tests for that matter.I have my blood tests from yrs and yrs ago from each cycle ive run so I can always go back and compare and know what worked for me and what did not or what problems arose from what cycles so I could make changes.Same thing.Having scientifically backed knowledge is never a bad thing.It just helps you make smarter choices brother.

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
Yea,I would have liked to know as well.I'll see if I can find more info on this research.

Good article none the less and all research helps, I'd imagine it's all alkylated 17's and most likely the ones like stanazolol are worse about this being more tuff on the liver than the rest.

F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
good soild understanding..this is why most stuidies i never even give the light of day...I rather go by self expeiance then anything..We are never the same at any given time or day...We are all difference .....we all have a difference dna....Its impossible to take any study as actual facts...dw

A study doesnt mean its actual fact for everyone,just how the ones in the studies have reacted.The actual facts are the results that caused from the study.Again,this doesnt mean its the end all solution to anything,just another piece of education to think about.That way if down the road something should happen while taking a particular substance,it could possibly be traced back to something,you know what I mean?

ANY study on ANYTHING doesnt mean the results apply to everyone,just what happens to many during a study.Some smoke cigarettes for 70 yrs and never get cancer even though studies say that they cause cancer.Does that mean the study is bogus and cigarettes are really no health risk? Hell no.The proof is still valid that they kill millions,but that doesnt mean that EVERYONE will die tomorrow if you smoke today.

F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
Good article none the less and all research helps, I'd imagine it's all alkylated 17's and most likely the ones like stanazolol are worse about this being more tuff on the liver than the rest.

Thank you sir.Knowledge is power whether you agree or not,its good to know everything you can about any subject that could involve you.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic