Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh

Olympic Weightlifting Tutorial

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Alright, I was talking to MM today in the shoubox and I said I'd post a tutorial about imho the best way to perform the Classical Olympic Weightlifting movements. Now some of you may say, I know this guy Don Mc Cauley, wasn't he kicked out of the Anderson Cohen Facility and given the boot from Team Savannah? I'd say, yup you are correct. Now, I'm not saying I like the guy and I'm not going to get into the politics of the sport. I'm saying he is teaching the best technique imho. At least it's better than the triple extension which is used by just about everyone here in the US.

If you look at most of the top Weightlifters in the World today they use something I call a "double extension" or what Don calls the "catapult". It requires speed and a lot of strength in the hip region. If properly executed the lifter will catch the bar on the rise and therefore not have the bar crash on the lifter but like I said this require A LOT of speed.

I'll post a slow motion vid of a VERY good lifter using said technique after the tutorial to help illustrate what Don is saying. More and more of the top lifters in the world are using this weightlifting technique so I don't know why the vast majority of the coaches here in the US aren't learning about it and implementing it as well. Oh well... that's neither here or there.

So without any further a do here is the Olympic weightlifting tutorial.

And yes I've trained at the Sorinex if anyone is wondering. It's a great facility and if you live in the area I'll highly recommend you check it out. They have everything you need if you're a strength athlete ie. PLer, Oly lifter, SM, etc.

Here's the vid I promised to show you at the end of the tutorial. I hope you enjoyed it and hopefully it'll help you in learning the lifts or progressing with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
MightyMouse719

MightyMouse719

National Champion & VIP Member
Jul 8, 2011
Loved it, BI. Thanks for posting these videos. I agree that Don McCauley's methods make more sense than what I have been taught. I will incorporate these techniques into my own lifting and get back to you. McCauley's instruction seems more efficient to me than that of the 'triple extension.' His opinions mirror many of the contrarian thoughts I had learning the triple extension this year.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I'm gonna have to watch this a few times and start practicing this eventually... I love watching these lifts, it would probably be cooler to actually do it though :D

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Loved it, BI. Thanks for posting these videos. I agree that Don McCauley's methods make more sense than what I have been taught. I will incorporate these techniques into my own lifting and get back to you. McCauley's instruction seems more efficient to me than that of the 'triple extension.' His opinions mirror many of the contrarian thoughts I had learning the triple extension this year.

We're the ONLY country that solely teaches the triple extension. It's ridiculous b/c it doesn't work for many and it's not nearly as efficient ( you are completely right on that). You wanna see this work in real life just look at the 69kg Chinese Lifter (female). She's won 2 gold medals and watch out b/c she's going to win another. Tatianna Kashirina (the female Russian WR holder in the Snatch) also uses this technique. The list is longer than coaches here in the US would like to recognize. I could keep naming them but I you get my point.

MightyMouse719

MightyMouse719

National Champion & VIP Member
Jul 8, 2011
We're the ONLY country that solely teaches the triple extension. It's ridiculous b/c it doesn't work for many and it's not nearly as efficient ( you are completely right on that). You wanna see this work in real life just look at the 69kg Chinese Lifter (female). She's won 2 gold medals and watch out b/c she's going to win another. Tatianna Kashirina (the female Russian WR holder in the Snatch) also uses this technique. The list is longer than coaches here in the US would like to recognize. I could keep naming them but I you get my point.
Tatianna Kashirina is one of my favorite olympic lifters, and I love her form. It is fantastic to have an idea of how she does it. Can really see my lifts getting better with this newfound knowledge.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Tatianna Kashirina is one of my favorite olympic lifters, and I love her form. It is fantastic to have an idea of how she does it. Can really see my lifts getting better with this newfound knowledge.

Watch out for her in these next Olympics. I see her beating the Chinese and Korean SHW.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Bert and his dad over at sorinex are breat folks. Did you do the Sorinex Summer strong? Some strong dudes over there. They also do tons of crazy stuff like the capts of crush certifications etc. Good place, good equipment.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Bert and his dad over at sorinex are breat folks. Did you do the Sorinex Summer strong? Some strong dudes over there. They also do tons of crazy stuff like the capts of crush certifications etc. Good place, good equipment.

I didn't do the Summer Strong but I've trained there a couple times. I really like the hallway that has all the old training equipment. It's like a mini museum.

any1uno

any1uno

MuscleHead
Dec 22, 2010
Thank you for sharing this information and videos. I appreciate this.

M

MatthewC

MuscleHead
Dec 7, 2011
I remember from lifting was Team Savannah lifters were always winning meets. Chaplin III was a name kept hitting #1 out of that group. I was trained on the on full extension; but without the shrug. "Push through your heels" rang a bell and I always bloodied my shins. I'm going to sent his to my uncle who still coaches; see if he can use it. Good stuff.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I remember from lifting was Team Savannah lifters were always winning meets. Chaplin III was a name kept hitting #1 out of that group. I was trained on the on full extension; but without the shrug. "Push through your heels" rang a bell and I always bloodied my shins. I'm going to sent his to my uncle who still coaches; see if he can use it. Good stuff.

Team Savannah did put out some good athletes. You weren't around when Cheryl was lifting? That was their best athlete.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic