Latest Member
angelarbatt
What's New?

New routine or deload?

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Been doing the sl 5x5 for a couple months now, its been fun but has its isues....i havent had to deload yet and If i go by how its written im still not ready to deload, but im beat today was it so time to make a decision... Mondays work out went great..
Squats: 5x5 340lbs
Bench : 5x5 245lbs
Rows. : 5x5 195lbs
Wasnt a problem and the next day felt great, muscles all tight and stretching all day, you guys know that feeling... So now today wed 2 days later im still soar, went in this morning stretched, warmed up and everything felt heavy even the empty bar, joints n tendons soar and ya ive been eating like a horse... So i get 345lbs on the bar for my first set of squats and get four good reps and that was it... Reracked it an went home, even if i didnt puss out theres no way i was deadlifting any decent weight..idk maybe ill go back in later today and do my shoulder presses and deadlift... Then go for the squats again on friday... Not sposed to deload untill 3 missed attempts..... Anyways what do you guys think? I know for a fact i can push more weight just not 2 days later eh.

MightyMouse719

MightyMouse719

National Champion & VIP Member
Jul 8, 2011
How long has it been since you took a week off? How do you feel? It's very much an individual decision, but my shoulders are sore, I'm tired, and I'm not making great gains, so I'm taking a week off here soon. Especially as we get older, time to heal and rest up become very important. Not trying to pull a Captain Obvious, but this has been experience with deload weeks over the years.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Havent missed a work out in over 3 months and no i dont think ur pulling a captain obvious or else i wouldnt be asking the question... Just not sure if its the program im using or me? Even if i decide to switch it up id prolly take a week off, come back and test out my pr's so i can have somthing to base a new program on... Thanks MM for ur input i appreciate it!

MightyMouse719

MightyMouse719

National Champion & VIP Member
Jul 8, 2011
No problem, my friend, I used to be a chronic overtrainer, and have learned the hard way to take a little time off now and then. 5x5 can be a tough program, so based on what you've stated, my opinion as a seasoned lifter and certified trainer, is a week or two off might be in order. I wish you luck with your decision, please let us know what you decide to do.

HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
i'd take a week off and go back at it hard the following week. you'll be surprised how much stronger you come back

jandj0821

jandj0821

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2011
You dont have to take a week off deload and take your weights down to 60 -70% your 1rm. that will give your body a rest. I would do a deload just on the fact that you are changing your routine. Start fresh and clean. I wouldnt take a week completely off if your still making gains. Just my opinion though

gentao

gentao

MuscleHead
May 16, 2011
You dont have to take a week off deload and take your weights down to 60 -70% your 1rm. that will give your body a rest. I would do a deload just on the fact that you are changing your routine. Start fresh and clean. I wouldnt take a week completely off if your still making gains. Just my opinion though

im actually doing the same thing this week

jandj0821

jandj0821

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2011
Yeah I think taking a week off sometimes is a waste. I feel that you will know when its time both mentally and physically. 5/3/1 tells you to deload every 4th week. I think that is well worth it since you just pretty much maxed out and getting ready to jump the weights up for the next phase.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
IMO if your body is telling you that it's time to deload then you are already late bro. Screw what a book or outline says. Listen to your body. My opinion.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
ok it's ofical I'm taking a week off, witch really isn't that much time
Away anyways, I'll miss Fridays work out then Monday's and I'll be ready wed again.... So still considering a new program to come back to... I'd like something I can ad in some accessory work I'd like to get some goodmornings in there at least... My goals are to bring up the big 3 lifts, everything else takes a back seat for now..... Anybody got a E-book on a good program or can recommend one, like to start reading up on it now.

jandj0821

jandj0821

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2011
G, pm me a email i will send you a couple good ebooks if you want.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic