Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
arcticranger

New Powerlifter looking for some advice from Vets.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
At this point I hope the #1 point being made is driven home. Find a Team, can only second and third what PLK and TT said it has changed my life. At first it was like completely relearning how to lift, that's a little, very little demoralizing but if you keep your attitude right and your work ethic in tact then the good stuff is to come. I was a 500lb squatter to start, but grew a squat pretty quickly, then add the right gear and technique and I hit my first comp at 821lbs, my Team Leader picked my numbers and they were calling the shit in kgs so I had no idea what I was lifting. Benching in gear is my biggest challenge but it's coming together now for me the comp was a 490lbs, it's over 500 now. I started in my gym having never pulled anything over 500lbs without straps and then maxing at 600 with straps and shit form. I got 635lbs at the meet and am now pulling 700 on a regular basis. I know none of that would have been possible without the knowledge support and training that my Team has brought into my life. Then you get to the support at your meet. You can't imagine it until you do the meet, especially in gear, it's inconceivable to me how much they helped prep me for each lift.

Glad to see you've chosen PL'ng it's a brutal lifestyle and not allot of fame for even the best of the best but the brother and sisterhood and camaraderie is second to none!

Also what POB said, start a log and we'll motivate and give you guidance and get you on track and keep you there too. Good luck brother!

One can't train and compete without a team, a real team of at least 1 person of great knowledge and or access to other teams that have great knowledge.

It's a sharing sport and not for Mark Bell the team I was on wouldn't exist and I'm not talking about Mark's team he had great play and influence on the one I was with and we are photoed in his 1st addition of the magazine Power.

I know a lot of teams that are not good they have nobody that knows what they are doing but still call the leader a guru, example teaching box squat by sitting straight down and use quads to lift which is ass backwards you need to sit back and the further the better and explode up with glutes, hams and driving the hips through the lift. No touch and go like a lot of people do if your doing that you might as well remove the box.

D

dylric

Aug 20, 2012
Thanks for the advice guys. Gona find myself a team ASAP!

any1uno

any1uno

MuscleHead
Dec 22, 2010
Although, not impossible to train without a team it does add more to each workout. Find someone with a lot of knowledge to help in your quest. Adding to what has been stated already and will stress again...Work on proper form. Practice and complete each rep as if you were in a meet. This will help train your mind to know each lift is legal. (Meaning...for example squats. Always strive to go well below parallel Doesn't have to be ATG all the time. This way you know where you're *ss is for a legal lift.)

Watching videos and reading may be helpful but know it's even more so when you have a good training partner or team beside you. You'll learn Powerlifting is an adiction! Best of luck...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic