Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
arcticranger

New Powerlifter looking for some advice from Vets.

D

dylric

Aug 20, 2012
Hi guys.
So I have always wanted to start Powerlifting. And have finally convinced the small gym I use to equipe itself with the tools neccassary to do so.
I am a gear free lifter (although I'm not sure for how long) and i used to be able to bench 5X105KG, but now that ive started the 5X5method Im struggaling with 5X80KG. I understand that now that I'm not just pumping through the reps like a bodybuilder and now stopping dead at the bottom of the movment that I would loose strength.
So I'm wondering is this usual?
Is the 5X5 the best program for a beginner (Ive read so much about how its a really great program?)
Thanks.
Any Advice or comments will be greatly apprectited. Even ur 2c.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Hey bro, I'm about 8 months into powerlifting and I have one comp under my belt... So take this with a grain of salt.

5 x 5 is a solid program; however, I believe that what comes first is technique. Ask Dave Tate, and he'd say technique. If you can't bench, it's because your bench probably needs work.

Start up a log here. Post vids of your lifts, tell us what you're eating. Me and a bunch of other guys will be all over you pushing you and supporting you along the way.

You could also try another program that is periodized rather than linear such as westside, Sheiko or countless others.

Grumpyfit

Grumpyfit

MuscleHead
Jun 7, 2012
When your on the floor you get one shot three times. Every movement, every pound has to be executed with precise technique. Practice with different positioning of your hands, feet, back, grip, your mind set has to be positive. Don't elude your recovery time and diet. Hit it hard!

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Agreed technique will trump strength everytime. Plus, way more chance of injury when you use shitty technique. Your technique will dwindle a bit anyway when you get into heavier weight. So, right now, focus on technique first. As for programs. I like the 5 x 5 program...been around forever. Something like 5/3/1 is solid too. Biggest thing is don't be afraid learn or swallow your pride and ask questions. I learned from those who were stronger than me. Why? Because I wanted be as strong as them (or stronger). You're in a good place. Lots of knowledgable peeps.

Excessiveone

Excessiveone

MuscleHead
Apr 6, 2012
No matter what routine you choose picking the right weights/percentages to train with is a critical ingredient to success. If you find most workouts your form is breaking down your using too much weight. Using a weight that causes form break down is reserved for only your heaviest progression, once a month or 6 weeks. I hate using an exact time frame but training with proper weight selection will keep you progressing and minimize risks.
"So you think you can bench" Ytube if you haven't watched the video yet, take the time.
They also have form for the other lifts broken down in detail.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
The #1 bit of advice I got, and will give to others is to look for a team to train with. I've seen guys who show up every year to the state meets around here lifting about the same as they did last year, looking shaky as shit under the bar, and not going anywhere.

I started with my team as a ~500 squatter in gear, within 8 months hit mid 7's in a meet and add another 50-100lbs to that every year..... bench was 400 in a shirt, 5 years later it's mid 7's and handling 8's in the gym.....
You could spend years learning good technique from videos and guessing how you are doing with some gym bro spotting you, or you could find an established team and let them coach you to your potential. I drive an hour each way 2-3 times a week and it's worth it. We have guys who drive 4 each way and come almost every other week..... it's worth it.

But for now.... 5x5 is okay, 5/3/1 is better, and Shieko is okay if you recover really well.... they all work great for some people and crap for others, but be prepared to run a full program and spend a few months+ on each one to figure it out for yourself.

As for technique, look for any of the learn to train seminar videos, the so you think you can bench videos, get the westside DVD's and the Coan tapes too if you can find them...... they all offer different but good ideas on training and all of them can be great examples of good form. Still, nothing replaces having a team yelling verbal cues to you as you lift AND keeping their collective 20 eyes on you to spot where you are breaking down.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I agree that 5/3/1 is a great for raw lifters and exp novices. You'll build a solid foundation with it.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
Yeah find a team and stay raw until you make decent gains then get in gear, start with loose gear except a deadlifter suit a loose deadlifter is useless.

D

dylric

Aug 20, 2012
Thanks guys!
Can u please give me a sample 5/3/1 program?

TerribleTowel

TerribleTowel

Mar 31, 2011
PLK hit the nail on the head. The best way to learn powerlifting is to train with a team. Nothing beats learning from the years of experience they have gathered. You'll learn a lot more from your team than you ever will by reading books and watching online videos. Believe those things have their place. I read articles, books, studies, and watch videos daily, but you need their eyes, encouragment, and motivation if you want to truly progress efficiently. When I made the switch to powerlifting I was lucky enough to start training with two raw 700+ pullers, one of whom was in his late 40's and use to be a 800+ raw puller. He'd been powerlifting for over 20 years. I did my first meet about 2 months after starting with them and totaled a wimpy raw 1450 in the 242's. 18 months later I totaled a raw 1760 at 242. Added over 130 pounds to my squat, over 60 on bench, and about 100 to my deadlift in that 18 months. Having a team also makes competitions run so much smoother. Until you do a meet you don't know how much it helps to have someone helping you choose your numbers, able to watch and critique your lifts, give you a consistent and familiar handoff, wrap your knees if you choose to do so, etc. I only lift raw, but for you I wouldn't even consider lifting in gear without a well established team.

For now stick with the 5x5 and do some research on 5/3/1, both are great ways to get started. Try to find a team to join or at minimum a serious training partner (or 2 or 3) who has the same goals as you. Take lots of videos of your lifts and feel free to post them here for critique. Give us some diet info too if you think it's an area you might need some help in.

Like others said technique is key in powerlifting. I could get away with sloppy form when I could barely bench 315 touch and go, but not now that I'm in 400's. I see a lot of guys who's lifts stall outan they can't figure out why, but if they would just correct their technique they would be able to start making gains again.

What's your current height and weight? What fed do you plan to lift in? Any idea where your lifts are at currently (general idea of your max in each lift)?

Last edited:
Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
At this point I hope the #1 point being made is driven home. Find a Team, can only second and third what PLK and TT said it has changed my life. At first it was like completely relearning how to lift, that's a little, very little demoralizing but if you keep your attitude right and your work ethic in tact then the good stuff is to come. I was a 500lb squatter to start, but grew a squat pretty quickly, then add the right gear and technique and I hit my first comp at 821lbs, my Team Leader picked my numbers and they were calling the shit in kgs so I had no idea what I was lifting. Benching in gear is my biggest challenge but it's coming together now for me the comp was a 490lbs, it's over 500 now. I started in my gym having never pulled anything over 500lbs without straps and then maxing at 600 with straps and shit form. I got 635lbs at the meet and am now pulling 700 on a regular basis. I know none of that would have been possible without the knowledge support and training that my Team has brought into my life. Then you get to the support at your meet. You can't imagine it until you do the meet, especially in gear, it's inconceivable to me how much they helped prep me for each lift.

Glad to see you've chosen PL'ng it's a brutal lifestyle and not allot of fame for even the best of the best but the brother and sisterhood and camaraderie is second to none!

Also what POB said, start a log and we'll motivate and give you guidance and get you on track and keep you there too. Good luck brother!

Last edited:
Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Do a search here for Wendler 531. There is an article about it

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic