Latest Member
BluueWater_Hunter
What's New?

My Gym Closed!! WTF!!

R

Rai080

MuscleHead
Sep 11, 2013
So my new gym that was awesome just closed and I have no idea what to do. The owners said teh rent got raised to 7k a month and they just couldn't swing it anymore.

Im thinking about just putting some equipment in my basement, but im not sure what to get.

I was thinking the essentials would be a
power cage
barbell
10 45 lb plates
adjustable bench
some adjustable dumbbells

Obviously this is not the most complete setup, but figure I can get the majority of the lift in and join a planite fitness for $10 a month to suppliment when needed.

With this setup I could do:

Deadlifts
Rack pulls
Flat and incline bench
Shoulder press
Squats
Barbell rows
Upright rows

Ill have to get creative. my goal is to build something for under $1000.

What do you guys think? Should I add anything?

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
Damn that sucks man! Did you mean ten 45 pound plates or 10-45 pound plates? 10 plates would be expensive as hell! If you can afford to throw some stuff in the basement, I definitely would. Just add to it in time.

R

Rai080

MuscleHead
Sep 11, 2013
Nope that is correct. Ten 45, lb plates for a total of 450 lbs. I've bee swing them used on Craig's list I'm my area for about $30-35 each. They are usually $1 a lb. These I will buy when I can get the good deal. I'll grab 6 to start and build from there. I use 8 plates for squats and 10 for deadlifts so I figure that would cover my bases for now.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
That looks decent. Seriously no other gym around but Planet Fitness ?

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
I can remember 2 gyms I went to closing some 20+ years ago, within a year or 2 of one another. In fact, one had bought the other out at the same location.

The worst part of the story was that the first guy knew he would be closing ahead of time, and offered some "2 years for the price of 1" special about a month out. I was a college kid who could barely scrape up the monthly fee, so I did not bite. Many people did, and got ripped off. Luckily, the new gym owners offered to honor the deal for the members.

Not long after, I heard that the first guy got the shit beat out of him by several disgruntled patrons and wisely left town.

Then the new owner later did the same thing and also left town. :rolleyes:

The second owner didn't bother to sell out - I believe the bank repo-ed the place.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Man, I'm sorry to hear about your gym.

A home setup would be great though.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
been there recently, done that recently . . . . .

1) don't do anything till you measure where you intend to put all this. Power cages and simple squat stands are around 4' wide, if you only have 8' or less between the wall and the washer/dryer or water heater you'll be squeezed trying to load plates on either end of the bar. Hopefully you'll be moving the bar pretty much straight up and down, but a 7' bar within an 8' space doesn't leave much room for error.

measure ceiling space too. most racks are 8' high, some are shorter. I don't have a basement, I'm guessing most have 8' ceilings? (minus rafters?) If you found a shorter rack but plan to do standing presses, and if you are well over 6' yourself and use 45's on the bar, an 8' ceiling might get kinda close. Likewise if you have a rack near the ceiling and plan on doing pullups on the bar most include, that might be a heads up to you lol

2) Google will take you anywhere, two places I like are Sorinex and Rogue, practically twins in design and price, but there are others. Heavier duty and more expensive than what the local sporting goods store sells, but worth it for your safety and peace of mind. Shipping charges will eat you alive on all this iron, if you find 2 or more places you like, distance from your home might be the tiebreaker, most of those websites have a shipping calculator feature. In a dream world, you will live within a few hrs of one and can just pick it up, even if you need a small U-Haul for a day.

3) As above, don't skimp too much on barbell quality, some of those "bundled" deals of "300lb Oly Weight Set" at those sporting goods stores include bars that bend a little too readily if you do use 300lbs or more. Plates, otoh, is where I skimped. Places like Sorinex will sell Eleiko (read "Rolls Royce") plates for what your house cost. Understanding market forces, they will also offer one or more downgrades, usually bottoming out around $4/lb. But, I google-shopped around and found other brand X plates for about ONE dollar a pound at Sears and WalMart. I caught one at Wally's where shipping was free, couldn't believe it, seems like a huge tactical error on their part. That offer may have been a passing thing, the point is to shop around. I got 500-something lbs for 500-something dollars, I'm not world class in any iron sport, if my 45's weigh 44, or 46 and are cast, not machined, and say Made In China instead of USA or Sweden, it works for me. Assuming the sweet free-shipping deal I got no longer applies, the big box stores may get your order to the nearest store to you, and you pick it up for free or a minor fee.

4) some of the harder core places sell rubber floor mats, I mean super heavy duty rubber, the kind that show almost no depression when several hundred lbs is sitting on them. You could get enuf for a wall to wall floor if you chose, I just got four 24" x 24" x 1" mats for misc. use. You may not drop the bar from overhead OL-style, but you'll "nudge" that nice cement floor with deadlifts, maybe other stuff. Also, the rack and the bench may not fit each other as precisely as you want as to where the spotter pins catch the bar for Benches, Inclines, Squats, 1 or 2 of those mats under your feet or the bench's feet space it out to where you want it.

Loves me some black iron, no chrome, no polished mirrors, just a good ol' boiler room gym.

Last edited:
R

Rai080

MuscleHead
Sep 11, 2013
That looks decent. Seriously no other gym around but Planet Fitness ?

There are a few, but they all suck. I don't care how good of a gym it is, if I here are members sitting on the equipment talking or looking in the mirror at themselves I don't like the place. They are also crazy expensive. $79-89 a month. The thing I like about planet fitness is for $10 I can use any gym. I travel a lot for work so it works out okay when I travel. Actually planet fitness in Mississippi was probably one of the best gyms I've ever been to. It was an old-school gym that got the planet fitness name. Wish the local one was like that!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Make sure you have ample ceiling height. Personally, I would just get a platform, cage, and a bench w/ a Thompson fat pad. You can do everything with that. Pulls on the platform and squat, ohp, and bench in the cage.

As for a bar I'd suggest a Texas power bar and a deadlift bar.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
And don't forget bands and especially chains.... multiple 5 foot sets of 5/8" chain or if you can get it 3/4" chain.

R

Rai080

MuscleHead
Sep 11, 2013
Just measures. I have pleanty of room 30x15 foot room with nothing in it. Ceilings at 7'10''. I'm probably going to put a treadmill as well. That won't be in the $1000 budget, but Wtf.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Just measures. I have pleanty of room 30x15 foot room with nothing in it. Ceilings at 7'10''. I'm probably going to put a treadmill as well. That won't be in the $1000 budget, but Wtf.

Hmmmm, that 7' 10" ceiling could be a problem if rack is indeed 8' even without pullups?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic