Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

"Muscle Shock" Question

Rancor418

Rancor418

MuscleHead
Aug 8, 2011
I was reading a article the other day about a "muscle shock" workout that Frank Zane used to do. He would take a lagging body part and work it 3-4 days straight then rest it for a couple of weeks.

My question is with the current studies and research today do you all think this is outdated? Is it worth trying?

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
Ya it's outdated. IMO

Twice a week with Drop sets, Negatives and Super sets is plenty to shock a lacking muscle group.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Guys like Zane knew their bodies. He tried something and it worked for him. Maybe it would work for you... who knows. I won't say that it's outdated, because sometimes we all just get too smart for ourselves and there are techniques that will work but it takes time and experimentation in order to know.

That being said, I've never read Zane's take on this approach; do you have a link?

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
I would like to read it as well. I just can't see how it would work. You might get some size from swelling and water retention. But it would go away. I could see 2 days back to back. Or maybe EOD for 3 workouts. Like one Light, one heavy and one Mod weight.

Rancor418

Rancor418

MuscleHead
Aug 8, 2011
I may be wrong but I think it was in the Muscle Development in June. I have a friend that buys every mag every month and I took 3 of them with my on a cruise so I just have to figure what issue it was in.

I will try and find it though.

Oh and thanks for the replies.

N

MuscleHead
Jun 22, 2012
with google books I found a Yoga Journal of July 2000: Yoga Journal - Google Books
"muscle shock" is not really mentioned in the texts but I don't want to hold back this link

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
with google books I found a Yoga Journal of July 2000: Yoga Journal - Google Books
"muscle shock" is not really mentioned in the texts but I don't want to hold back this link

He strikes again! Hahaha
Newbie is back at it...

Now regarding OP's ?, could the extra growth come from incorporating unused muscle fibers on the days following the first workout?

For instance, you tear down muscle during workout one...
Next day you have other fibers included in the lifts to compensate for the ones that are torn...
Each day you have more fibers used because eventually almost all are broken down from heavy use....
Then give them weeks to fully repair, growing bigger than normal since you tore more fibers than usual.

Could this be the science behind it?

Rancor418

Rancor418

MuscleHead
Aug 8, 2011
He strikes again! Hahaha
Newbie is back at it...

Now regarding OP's ?, could the extra growth come from incorporating unused muscle fibers on the days following the first workout?

For instance, you tear down muscle during workout one...
Next day you have other fibers included in the lifts to compensate for the ones that are torn...
Each day you have more fibers used because eventually almost all are broken down from heavy use....
Then give them weeks to fully repair, growing bigger than normal since you tore more fibers than usual.

Could this be the science behind it?

This is what I'm thinking. But looking at what we know today this may not be a better form of "shock". There is still the Arnold debate if he had worked out less would he have been bigger.

Just looking for peoples feedback more than anything.

N

MuscleHead
Jun 22, 2012
He strikes again! Hahaha
Newbie is back at it...

I can quote one passage for instance:

Zane began combining weight training with yoga at age 16, when he discovered trancelike states of absolute focus known in sports parlance as the "zone". He learned to cultivate this focus, enabling him to perform unprecedented athletic feats - like two-hour sessions of sit ups.

"muscle shock" normally might be something negativ - a disease after an accident for example.

Guys like Zane knew their bodies. He tried something and it worked for him. Maybe it would work for you... who knows. I won't say that it's outdated, because sometimes we all just get too smart for ourselves and there are techniques that will work but it takes time and experimentation in order to know.

They have hundreds of different asanas - he combines weight lifting with yoga - so what IronInsanity mentions seems to be plausible to me. Maybe it does not make sense to do every day two-hour sessions of sit-ups. That is not the "muscle shock" item - I know and I did not want to open a discussion about yoga. Just some words about the link.

It may surprise you to learn that bodybuilding is a national Indian sport, ...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic