Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Muscle Memory Defined

slicwilly2000

slicwilly2000

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2010
I would agree that fat persons or former fat persons can gain weight easier than others. I had low bodyfat for the first 25 years of my life. Couldn't gain it no matter how hard I tried. I'm not sure if it's the medications I've taken since then or what, but I've gained significant weight since then.

Slic.

HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
interesting thread POB. i caught some of the discussion in the chat.
now here's the broscience aspect:
when i was away at "college" i trained pretty hard for 2 1/2 years straight and went from like 160-180lbs in that time.
once i "graduated" i stopped training for a year-year and a half and lost about 10-15lbs. well, the time came when i decided to go back for more "education" and gained back everything i lost in a matter of 6 months.
now i'm not very edumacated to all these scientific terms and theories and studies, but i do know that i packed on what took me 2 1/2 years to gain in the first place in a matter of 6 months as soon as i picked up the weights again after a year and a half layoff...
IMO "muscle memory" is very real, i just think there could have been a better term for it

Last edited:
apollo

apollo

MuscleHead
Jun 15, 2011
Maybe the body is like the mind; It finds comfort in the known?
Says swami apollo the redneck

I just hope my muscles return to their past glory whether I decide to go boxing training or lifting for aesthetics and a lil size.

Last edited:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
About RR's theory... say that is true and there is love handle memory; can DNP be used to erase that memory as I hear it "kills" fat cells?

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
From what ive seen in all my years...I havent experiance a whole compelet lost of muscle becuase ive never stoped in 26 years but i have seen many of some friends stop for a year or two and get back the smae size less then a few months..So the muscles sleep and when awoke they react and grow back to the size it left off.Its just a matter of pumping that blood back into the muscle pocket...dw

D

dragevo

MuscleHead
Jul 9, 2011
I worked out had for 3 years in college. Quit for 7 years-ish. Got it all back withing 5-6 months. Then on to the slow gains as soon as I reached what I had acheived back then, so maybe muscle memory is a poor term. I like what Mayo said.

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
About RR's theory... say that is true and there is love handle memory; can DNP be used to erase that memory as I hear it "kills" fat cells?

Fat people get fat easier for other reasons. The first is, and I can find the studies, a persons relative level of fitness effects certain gene expression, simply put a person who eats excessive amounts of calories and high amounts of sugar will cause expression of certain genes that makes that state their "natural" state. Some overweight people are overweight because of a decrease in the action of their sympathetic nervous system. There are also some studies that are coming out that challenge the idea that fat cells never die at all and some studies that suggest that up to 10 percent of fat cells die and are replenished every year.

J

J_J

Mar 28, 2012
Excellent info and topic man! Glad to see this!

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
I've had a couple of occasions where I quit for many months. I lost some size (not as much as I would have thought), a little strength, and a fair amount of muscular endurance and conditioning. It didn't take long to get it all back and eventually go beyond previous bests in size and strength.

sootywooty

sootywooty

MuscleHead
Sep 12, 2013
Yep same here i quit for 20 years and gained it all back in about 6 mths, and then went 14lbs better in another 6 mths was natural training as well.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic