Latest Member
severedthumbz
What's New?

Mind - Muscle Connection (M.A.S.S)

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
This was written by BigCat. I thought it would make for a good discussion.

It's part of "M.A.S.S. Training Part 1: The five principals of skeletal muscle hypertrophy"

It was just one paragraph in the article, I broke it up so it would be easier on the eyes.

-------------------------------------------------------

One small tip to aid you on your way to better form is to form a better mind-muscle connection. The phrase itself is vague and elusive, but let me try and explain the concept to you as best I can.

When you know where a muscle is located and what it does, you should be able to feel it work. Aside from that, if you have some muscle at all, you usually perform a motion placing one hand on the muscle to FEEL where it contracts more. Both of these techniques should help you a lot in visualizing the muscle, even when there isn’t a whole lot to see in the mirror (either due to lack of muscle or due to excess fat, or simply because you can’t view the muscle properly at all, like the back).

When you visualize the muscle when you are working it, you need to really visualize the optimal stretch and contraction points. Feel free to exaggerate here and place yourself in the body of a ripped pro or some other person whose physique you admire, it lends a sense of purpose to your training.

Now, whenever you lift a weight on the (explosive) positive think “squeeze” or “contract” and try to really feel that muscle. I recently picked this technique up myself watching a training video of Kai Greene. It makes a lot of sense. When you concentrate only on lifting the weight, you make the movement all about lifting the weight.

Lifting weight is what weightlifters do, and it’s a process that is made to find the easiest and most efficient way to move an object from point A to point B. Bodybuilding, however, is all about maximally taxing the muscle you are working, recruiting the most muscle fiber within that muscle, and making it as hard as possible to lift the weight in order to fully deplete that muscle of its energy and strength. So don’t focus on LIFTING the WEIGHT, focus on CONTRACTING the MUSCLE.

A ton of exercises are about subtle nuances, a certain intention in the movement. Those nuances become almost instinctive if your mind is continuously on the muscle you are working, trying as hard as you can to feel the muscle as you are trying to move the weight.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure most of us have heard of this but how many actually practice it or have even tried it? I have started to use it on most of my exercises.

I've been trying to gain strength here lately but pyramid up on sets. On the heavier sets at the end, I've been throwing the weights around a bit. Not to drastically, last thing I need are injuries. That makes it more difficult for me to make the connection.

It's easy on the lower weights for me at the beginning, especially with the slow negatives. It really gives me time to focus on the muscle.

I feel like I'm getting the best of both worlds. Plenty of time under tension and focus at the beginning, then on to heavier weights at the end of the set.

I actually tried it out when I was having shoulder problems, bench work and presses were murder. Good mornings also and most recently, deads. I found that when I was starting to feel pain, if I made the connection, it would ease the pain or take it away. That proved to me that it really works. It helped me to stay in good form.

Anyone else?

HDH

jrice

jrice

Jun 3, 2013
This is an outstanding technique.......I've been tuning in my movements for awhile now.....I still have difficulty with my left bi on the contraction and on double sided exercises I sometimes find myself contracting one more than the other but I'm getting better at it ....Strange as it may sound to some its almost metaphysical when the mind is completely connected to the muscle during the contractions ...a serious pump is inevitable and that endorphin filled sense of complete muscle fatigue.....I live for that feeling.....Great stuff HDH

Reactions: HDH
HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
This is an outstanding technique.......I've been tuning in my movements for awhile now.....I still have difficulty with my left bi on the contraction and on double sided exercises I sometimes find myself contracting one more than the other but I'm getting better at it ....Strange as it may sound to some its almost metaphysical when the mind is completely connected to the muscle during the contractions ...a serious pump is inevitable and that endorphin filled sense of complete muscle fatigue.....I live for that feeling.....Great stuff HDH

Ya, there's a lot of good stuff out there besides just lifting the weights. I enjoy learning things and putting them into practice.

There will be times when we reach plateaus and if we want to break through them bad enough we will find ways to make it happen. The answer isn't always pile on more weight for bodybuilders.

This is one of many excellent ways to keep moving forward.

Thanks for the response.

HDH

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
This is good insight. There's a big difference between "moving the weight" and "working the muscle." I used to be too concerned with the former but recently I have focused on the latter. It makes a huge difference.

kyle grey

kyle grey

MuscleHead
May 15, 2012
Visualisation is another great mental technique for progress . Arnold used to imagine his biceps as mountain peaks and Shawn Ray said he would imagine his legs as the pistons of an engine pumping the weight up and down on leg day . It works with lagging bodyparts too if you can conceive how you would like them to look you stand a much better chance of one day achieving this .

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Good point KG. I've always believed that my mind was the strongest muscle. Barriers and plateaus often aren't broken because of the failure to tap into the mind's strength.

jrice

jrice

Jun 3, 2013
Visualization is another great mental technique for progress . Arnold used to imagine his biceps as mountain peaks and Shawn Ray said he would imagine his legs as the pistons of an engine pumping the weight up and down on leg day . It works with lagging body parts too if you can conceive how you would like them to look you stand a much better chance of one day achieving this .

I use the hydraulic piston visualization quite often ....def helps keep my form locked and movements precise..

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Good point KG. I've always believed that my mind was the strongest muscle. Barriers and plateaus often aren't broken because of the failure to tap into the mind's strength.

I agree. If I let it, my mind will give out before my muscles will.

That used to happen when I was younger. Being aware of it has changed things significantly.

HDH

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Visualisation is another great mental technique for progress . Arnold used to imagine his biceps as mountain peaks and Shawn Ray said he would imagine his legs as the pistons of an engine pumping the weight up and down on leg day . It works with lagging bodyparts too if you can conceive how you would like them to look you stand a much better chance of one day achieving this .

I remember that about Arnie. I think it's in his encyclopedia.

HDH

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I do this but not with the muscle but rather the lift I envision it going up
Not quite the same as triggering the muscles but it seems to work

S

Stronglifts

Apr 9, 2013
this is why sometimes pro's do not have the best form. What you need to do is workout and imagine yourself getting to the point of a ripped physique, think of it and feel like you are widening your muscles, mind muscle connection is the MAIN thing that matters during a lift.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011

WOW I NEVER thought I would agree with anything II said.....lol but I do:D

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic