Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Might as well do this (AKA Joe 'Moose's log)

JoeFriday

JoeFriday

MuscleHead
Mar 21, 2014
So, after getting distracted with other things, I finally am setting up shop here. Hope you find it entertaining, and I hope that I can get something out of this.

A bit of back story: I'm 35 years old, 5'6", weighting right now at 311lbs with a more than 20% bodyfat level. (I'm supposed to be 'morbidly obese', but, as the song goes, I got moves like Jagger. No really, I'm a good dancer. <:p ) Been lifting off and on for the past ten years, but really gotten into it since I found a really cheap gym.

Of course, just because I've been lifting and such means nothing without a healthy diet, and the gods above and below know I'm trying, but I have a mother who makes lots of Mexican food with loads of tortillas, and she gets very sad if you don't eat what she gave you. ("Aye mijo, why aren't you eating? You coming down with something?") Hopefully, I can start changing the diet to cleaner foods. Hopefully...

In the gym, I'm usually easy-going. I lift, try to beat my previous weights from the week before, get inspired from the other lifters to do better, and just try not to get into any mischief. I don't go during the weekends (rest days), but I do try to make it most of the week, taking a day off just so I can have another rest day. I should get into cardio during that day, but I'm not fond of it.

Hope you enjoyed this lil' ramble. Onward to the show.

JoeFriday

JoeFriday

MuscleHead
Mar 21, 2014
*cracks knuckles* Let's start with today's entry: Arms!

Cardio - Elliptical trainer, 10 min.

Biceps:
Seated biceps curls - 3/10 + 1/8
Spider curls - 3/10
Standing barbell curls - 2/12
Hammer curls - 2/12

Triceps:
Pulldowns - 3/12
Single pulldowns w/single cable overhead extension - 3/(2/12)
Single dumbbell extensions - 3/20

Shoulders:
Shoulder press machine - 3/15

Note: Noticed I'm feeling the burn in the back and chest as well. Anything up with that?

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
On shoulder presses you use your lats. You might be tensing up other muscles trying to hit heavy weight with fatigued muscles, kinda like when your shoulder hurts doing those last couple reps of curls.

Good luck with your log! You have a good writing style - should be fun to follow. Take care.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Congratulations on making the commitment! We've got a great group of active loggers here to learn from.

JoeFriday

JoeFriday

MuscleHead
Mar 21, 2014
Go Away: I'll look into that! That might explains a few things.
5.0: Thanks!

Today was chest. Pretty good workout.

Cardio: Same

Incline dumbbell press: 3/10
Incline dumbbell flyes: 3/10
Flat bench dumbbell press: 2/12+1/10
Cable crossovers: 3/10
Machine press: 3 sets/20-15

Note: Never thought free weights would tire me out so well.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Glad you are here brother!

This is log heaven!!!

Workout looks good!

Last edited:
Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Great work man!

Welcome to the board.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Welcome to our kick ass log section. Make sure you check out the other logs and post. It's like twitter in here. Post in someone's log and they will follow yours.

If you are 5 foot 6 311lbs and only 20% body fat you must have a shit ton of muscle... I think you might be higher than that. I don't say this to bust your balls but to see if you have your maintenance calories dialed in right. You may be overeating still. Just looking out for you is all.

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
Yo Moose! Welcome. My mom was the Italian version of yours. Made enough pasta for an army and got insulted if we didn't eat it all. Sheesh!

Best of luck meeting your goals.

JoeFriday

JoeFriday

MuscleHead
Mar 21, 2014
Pillar of Balance: I said more than 20%. I need to look into that though: The gym has one of those hi-tech scales that can measure your bodyfat, and I'll update the profile.
UncleAl: Ah, you have my sympathies. :D

Today's was back and shoulders:

Warm-up: 5 min. light cardio, 3 sets of hyperextensions, and stretching

Front lat pulldowns: 1/20 (warmup), 3/10
Seated cable rows: 2/12+1/10
Leverage machine rows: 3/8
Close grip front lat pulldowns: 3/10
Barbell rows: 2/10+1/8

[5-min. rest]

Upright barbell row: 2/10+1/8
Front/Lateral/Back dumbbell raises: 1/(10+10+10), 2/(8+8+8)
Barbell shrugs: 2/10

Broomstick good mornings: 3/10

Note: I usually go heavy for the back, light for the shoulders. Except shrugs. Hard and heavy with those.

JoeFriday

JoeFriday

MuscleHead
Mar 21, 2014
Legs:

Warm-up: Light cardio, stretching

Seated leg press: 1x20 (warm-up), 2/10+1/8
Smith machine squats: 3/10
Angled seat leg press: 3/(10, 9, 8)
Seated leg curl machine: 3/10
Lying leg curl machine: 3/8

Note: I usually do free-weight squats, but someone was using the rack. Also, I was waay too tired for stiff-legged deadlifts.

So, weekend rest. Monday will also include diet as well as poundage. That'll be a doozy...

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
I used to have stiff legged deads at the end of my leg day! They were bad!!

I'm really glad you are here!

Great couple of workouts!!!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic