Members
Latest Member
severedthumbz
What's New?

Lets talk hand positioning

S

stevemc

Nov 19, 2011
How do you guys position your hands per body part. It might be a silly question to some but I have a shoulder impingment and sometime find myself without my palm down when they should be.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Im not sure what you are asking? I know its a simple enough of a question but most lifts the hand position is non negotiable

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
I like to sit on my hand until it gets numb. Then I go to work. We call it "The stranger."

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I'm confused, are you talking benching, overhead pressing or just in general?

S

stevemc

Nov 19, 2011
I find that I have to pay good attention sometimes to keep my palms down on my left arm due to the impingment. Does anyone else have that issue.

S

stevemc

Nov 19, 2011
I was looking for somthing like
Shoulder side laterals/palms down.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
side lats palms down is standard. any other way and your doing it wrong. still not clear what you are after.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
stevemc if you have a shoulder impingement, I would suggest that rather than try and work around this, you should see someone for soft tissue work and adjustments. Fix the wound first, know what I mean?

S

stevemc

Nov 19, 2011
Ya I have they gave me bands that I use before workouts. They work great I was jw if the hand issue was somthing anyone else had and a good solution. Guess I have to just focus on it better.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
If you're having trouble hitting side delts or something try face pulls. You can use a band or cable station. That will also provide relief of shoulder pain depending on the impingement.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
For shoulder pain I did rotator cuff exercises and my shoulder pain went away and stayed cleared up.

Here they are:

Standing Rotator Exercise: using a light dumbbell (I use 10lb or 15 lb), bend your elbow and hold the dumbbell straight up like you are going to do a military press, then rotate your hand forward, keeping your elbow bent, until your arm is parallel to the ground, then raise it back to the starting position. This is one rep. I do three sets of fifteen reps of these on chest day.

Next I do Lying Down Rotator Exercises: using the same dumbbell, l lie on my side with my upper arm flat against my side, then lower and raise the weight in front of my chest, keeping my forearm more or less still. Again, I do three set of fifteen reps right after the Standing Rotators.

That is all I did and my shoulder pain cleared up. If it starts to flare up, I do them for a few weeks and they get better immediately.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic