Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Joannafit
What's New?

Less weight, higher reps = shit just got real?

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I feel the same

me too :cool:

all the guys that "act" like powerlifters in my gym and all the ones in this area look like something I myself do not aspire to and are not any stronger than I IF they do any proper form at all :rolleyes:
so to each their own and do what works for you is what I say

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
STRONGLY disagree. Throw in some Rows, the occasional Hi Pull, and I'm getting your sammich ready, even as we speak.

Maybe you misunderstood me, maybe I should have clarified. I still do (and suggest) 10-20 rep ranges for accessory lifts for curls, rear delts, front raises, pullups, triceps, shrugs etc. But for the main 4 lifts that I highlighted, I suggested to lift heavy to put that gear to good use.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
For overall continued growth it's going to take a mixture of ALL of it. If you do ONLY heavy lifts, you're gonna hit a wall. If you do ONLY high reps, you're gonna hit a wall. If you do ONLY maximum time under tension, you're gonna hit wall. If you do ONLY 8-12 reps on every sets, you're gonna hit a wall. If you do an intelligent mix of this (whether it be in the same workouts of switching it each workout etc etc) you can continue you growing for much much longer. Change should be a consistent in your training just as much as going to the gym is consistent.

Working in the same rep range isn't quite what causes someone to hit a wall. My guys all know the typical rep ranges I use.

15x2
5x5
1x5
1x3

But on the heaviest days like 1x5 and 1x3 there are other ways I use to add in volume like rep drops or back off sets etc...

I think it's the varying percentages of 1rm or rpe values and fatigue management that come into play here in terms on long term success.

I have a sort of backwards view of addressing volume I must admit. I tend to address intensity, Recovery and then volume in that order. I cause my clients to become conditioned to higher intensity levels than they would normally be comfortable with. An idea i stole from metal militia. Then after that block of transition we recover briefly then start dialing up the volume until just before intensity can no longer be maintained. Then we walk that tight rope for... well perpetually in some cases. Some require a well timed deload of either volume or intensity but rarely both at the same time.

Dealing with a competitor is easier because we have to increase volume tremendously then taper down and then after the comp transition back and heal.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Gym pumps are fun for the younger guys, man. Sure, you feel better, and sometimes more sore (DOMS) but it's not going to allow you to keep growing.

However, if you want to put that gear to good use, lift heavy as fuck weights when it comes to squats, Deadlifts, military press and bench.

STRONGLY disagree. Throw in some Rows, the occasional Hi Pull, and I'm getting your sammich ready, even as we speak.

Maybe you misunderstood me, maybe I should have clarified. I still do (and suggest) 10-20 rep ranges for accessory lifts for curls, rear delts, front raises, pullups, triceps, shrugs etc. But for the main 4 lifts that I highlighted, I suggested to lift heavy to put that gear to good use.

uhc, no, maybe I made myself misunderstandable, and I should clarify, lol.

when I highlighted "STRONGLY" I was going after a play on words of sorts, nothing more than that. And I was disagreeing (mildly, not strongly) with your choice of lifts, not with rep schemes. DO agree with your 4, just wanted to add a little more pulling into the mix, still stick mostly to 5x5 or thereabouts for myself, not too many pec decs, concentration curls, triceps kickbacks.

jezjzzor085

jezjzzor085

Jan 4, 2014
Sometimes I prefer to have more weight and save a lot of time. Uff - and go home

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

M

mmauler

May 8, 2013
Vince Taylor had the best arms ever at the 1995 Mr Olympia. He only used cables with high reps. Your muscle have muscles. If you go heavy always you are never hitting certain muscles. In order to you have to concentrate on the form being perfect and squeeze at the end on all reps. Proper form can make a difference of like me i have striations inside the back triceps that no one else does and even at 9 percent are visible. I trained Jay Cutler for 1999 Ironman and Arnold as after Night of Champions we talked and Chris Aceto had him at 255 i got him to 241 and 3rd and 4th. Now Jay said Chris helped him. Hey Chris what shows did you win? Jay also promised to pay the close to a million dollars his friend invested in him. Maybe Jay paid him 10 years later but our friend called me and Jay stopped talking to us both the same day and never paid him anything and never even called either of us again. I almost beat the fuck out of some kid groupies with Jay at a bar. The kid said i was a liar Big Jay left quickly knowing i was drinking and a kid who does not even know him says i am a liar. Someone said something and they left quick. Jay is a fake person. The things i know and would never tell are nasty. Jay fans sorry as i was anyway to so i am with you i am just stating facts. As i hate liars and scammers that million dollars got him there my hard diet and ability to get people dry the week of show also put him in the Pros.

jezjzzor085

jezjzzor085

Jan 4, 2014
https://www.facebook.com/fitfabrik/...2413255437798/875548235790961/?type=3&theater

Oct. 2014 he came to Vienna - Jay Cutler, but I didn't go to his event.
I also cancelled my membership in that gym. I didn't make any sense to me to ge there. Even the Facebook comments on their page from some people were so weird and had nothing to do with Jay Cutler. It was like you go to a funeral to meet new people but Jay was not really there.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I built my base with relatively heavy weight over the years. Now that I'm older and have suffered a few injuries (i.e., partial tears), I've dropped my weight substantially and am using substantially higher volume.

I find that with volume training, I can hold my mass, and maybe even improve my density and hardness, but at least with my genetics, I won't grow any more unless I'm willing to throw in some heavier weights.

jezjzzor085

jezjzzor085

Jan 4, 2014
Phil Heath I guess prefers to train left and right arm separate. Maybe this way he can handle a little bit more weight on one side than the half of the whole weight summed up from left and right together. - So the whole body needs not to cope with too much weight and won't get tired but in the opposite left and right arms' muscles will get more focus.

The other guys from animal training - correct me if I'm wrong - seem to prefer symmetrical training and slowly reducing weights to almost nothing

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Lol, thread went to sleep back in September, seems to have awakened in curious ways more recently . . . . . .

any1uno

any1uno

MuscleHead
Dec 22, 2010
I prefer heavy weights but, in the past would mix it up between comps with light days.. higher reps and heavy days low reps. Right now been really liking Wendler's program.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic