Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Less weight, higher reps = shit just got real?

dechrist

dechrist

Jan 8, 2011
So I have been training for 12 years, started juicing a year and a half ago. Always stuck in the 6-8 rep range with relatively heavy weight. Was pleased with the gains I made while natural. Now since gearing up, I've definitely made some decent gains but not quite where I think I should be for the stack I'm running.

Anyway, was reading a lot of opinions regarding legs and how higher reps lighter weight work better... decided to give it a shot and holy fuck was it excruciating but good.... legs were shaking by the 3rd set of 12. So I figure maybe this higher rep stuff will work for every area. Well it seems to be so far... arms/shoulders were insane, could barley reach the steering wheel they were so pumped. Haven't done chest or back yet but I'm sure the results will be similar.

This whole time I thought time under tension/isolation was the most important thing but it seems that higher reps are just as important. The pain is much deeper, the pump almost unbearable but I feel like Im growing big time. Just want to hear some ppl's input on this, like are higher reps straight up better for size or am I just caught up in the gym pump?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
You're just caught up in the gym pump...

You wanna get bigger, then lift bigger numbers correctly.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
Brotheriron..........This guy has the info, not some pay site...

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I do high reps for legs. Hell I just did a top set of 5 in squats a couple weeks ago. Brutal! Took 19 minutes to catch my breath

jolter604

jolter604

Aug 23, 2016
I like to switch it up month to month works for me

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
Yeah... got me scratching my hear too.
OK, I was trying to agree with you, that you have the right info, about lifting bigger numbers correctly, maybe it came out kind of weird. lol

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Gym pumps are fun for the younger guys, man. Sure, you feel better, and sometimes more sore (DOMS) but it's not going to allow you to keep growing.

However, if you want to put that gear to good use, lift heavy as fuck weights when it comes to squats, Deadlifts, military press and bench.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Gym pumps are fun for the younger guys, man. Sure, you feel better, and sometimes more sore (DOMS) but it's not going to allow you to keep growing.

However, if you want to put that gear to good use, lift heavy as fuck weights when it comes to squats, Deadlifts, military press and bench.

STRONGLY disagree. Throw in some Rows, the occasional Hi Pull, and I'm getting your sammich ready, even as we speak.

ajdonutz

ajdonutz

VIP Member
May 23, 2012
For overall continued growth it's going to take a mixture of ALL of it. If you do ONLY heavy lifts, you're gonna hit a wall. If you do ONLY high reps, you're gonna hit a wall. If you do ONLY maximum time under tension, you're gonna hit wall. If you do ONLY 8-12 reps on every sets, you're gonna hit a wall. If you do an intelligent mix of this (whether it be in the same workouts of switching it each workout etc etc) you can continue you growing for much much longer. Change should be a consistent in your training just as much as going to the gym is consistent.

jolter604

jolter604

Aug 23, 2016
For overall continued growth it's going to take a mixture of ALL of it. If you do ONLY heavy lifts, you're gonna hit a wall. If you do ONLY high reps, you're gonna hit a wall. If you do ONLY maximum time under tension, you're gonna hit wall. If you do ONLY 8-12 reps on every sets, you're gonna hit a wall. If you do an intelligent mix of this (whether it be in the same workouts of switching it each workout etc etc) you can continue you growing for much much longer. Change should be a consistent in your training just as much as going to the gym is consistent.
I feel the same

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic