Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

legs/hips issue.

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
Due to age, trauma, and surgeries I can not do squats or have excessive weight on hip joints. At times I have to walk with cane. Besides leg extensions and curls anyone have experience or ideas with those restrictions? ortho says full hip replacements in 10 yrs. In the meantime just finished right hip orthoscopic surgery and in 4 months will have left hip cleaned up. right now wife says if I were a girl I could be a sport leg model.

HOB_Fly2023

HOB_Fly2023

Apr 27, 2023
Hey, Thrawn! Leg extensions and curls alone can still build some really strong legs. Throw in some calf raises, standing and seated, and you should be able to keep your legs strong and looking good. I dealt with this same issue, due to a lower back injury, and these 4 exercises have helped me keep my legs strong.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I know guys who earned pro cards who couldn't do squats, leg press, hack squats, etc... Leg extensions and leg curls will go a long way when done properly. Check out Mike Van Wyck or John Meadows videos on YouTube for form and intensity tricks. Other suggestions I would give are sissy squats, adductors, RDLs, split squats in the cage (hold on to the uprights for support), step ups and multiplanar bodyweight lunges. The RDLs do not need much weight if you do them slow and controlled. Keep the feet together and push the glutes out.

silntrunin

silntrunin

MuscleHead
Aug 30, 2011
Have a lot of the same issues myself. Already had one hip replacement and needing the other side done now as well.

I've been doing a lot of single leg squats after doing extensions and leg curls. Only going down a little before 90 degrees as its all I mobility I can deal with. Single leg RDL's with light DBs slow and controlled. When I'm at the gym training we have a seated calf machine that's like an inverted leg press. I can actually get a decent quad pump going to about half way down. Doesn't seem to hurt the hips as much a using a regular leg press. I don't know if it's the angle or what but it works for me.

Anita Blumpkin

Anita Blumpkin

TID Lady Member
Jul 19, 2023
Due to age, trauma, and surgeries I can not do squats or have excessive weight on hip joints. At times I have to walk with cane. Besides leg extensions and curls anyone have experience or ideas with those restrictions? ortho says full hip replacements in 10 yrs. In the meantime just finished right hip orthoscopic surgery and in 4 months will have left hip cleaned up. right now wife says if I were a girl I could be a sport leg model.
Nordic ham curls!! Use a band around your chest so your not pushing yourself up from the bottom with you hands to much. Nice thick padding under your knees. A few different ways you can set up for them, I like it best in the squat rack if there's an appropriate attachment for holding ankles in place but I don't have that option at Golds so I haven't done these in years actually. Used to do them when I did competitive powerlifting at a different gym. These and GHR's but I also don't have a GHR at golds so I just do loads of curls and hip hinges in various ways.
B Stance RDL are my favorite but not sure those would be good for your hips. I'd assume it would be torture in a bad way lol

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic