Latest Member
severedthumbz
What's New?

leg workouts + running = constant soreness

nychris

nychris

MuscleHead
Oct 12, 2012
Is anyone here able to perform leg workouts in the gym (ie, squats, leg presses, etc..) and go on runs outside (10 miles) in the same week without being sore 24/7? In the summer time I like to run those mud/obstacle runs (Tough Mudder, Spartan Race, etc..) but I'm not able to do both leg workouts and running in the same week. The last two years I had to temporarily stop doing legs in the gym while preparing for the races because I'm sore 24x7 and never recover otherwise. I need a good 4-5 days to recover from a leg workout and 2-3 days to recover from a long run. I've been stretching and foam rolling but it's not enough. Is it just me or can anyone else do this? The longest race is 14 miles up a ski mountain in Vermont.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Are you doing Stowe or Cannon? I'll be at both.

I run trails....implemented them moreso than I have in a while about two weeks ago. I don't push above 9min paces but in the state park where I run, there are huge hills, loose footing and lots of twists and turns maintaining core work and just not the up and down pavement running. I can't do that, I get bored quickly....plus the element of a panther or a coyote staring at me in the path kinda kicks the adrenaline up a bit more. Running has worked conversely for me in comparison to you. Sure, I get sore but they get easier and coming from my background, I've always run at a 9-10 min pace/mile to get out the acids and assist in recovery.

I squatted today, got up to 370 for 5 amongst 10 other sets with a bunch of accessory lifts (extensions, calf, lunges) and I'll run real light tomorrow (11min/mile pace) and then increase for Friday's run back up to 9-930/mile pace. Maybe your running regimen is a little too vigorous? Just a thought...

Hanzo

Hanzo

May 26, 2012
Check out this website : mobilitywod.com Dr.Starrett has a book called "Becoming a Supple Leopard", it's a good read.I saw the book mentioned here, forgot who it was.

nychris

nychris

MuscleHead
Oct 12, 2012
Are you doing Stowe or Cannon? I'll be at both.
The 3 toughest runs I'm doing this year are Tough Mudder at Mt. Snow, Vermont on 8/10, the Super Sparta at Mountain Creek, NJ on 9/7, and the Spartan Beast in Killington, VT on 9/21. I ran the Beast last year and it was very tough. Only these mountain runs are tough, the ones on flat land are easy. What is Stowe and Cannon?

I run trails....implemented them moreso than I have in a while about two weeks ago. I don't push above 9min paces but in the state park where I run, there are huge hills, loose footing and lots of twists and turns maintaining core work and just not the up and down pavement running. I can't do that, I get bored quickly....plus the element of a panther or a coyote staring at me in the path kinda kicks the adrenaline up a bit more. Running has worked conversely for me in comparison to you. Sure, I get sore but they get easier and coming from my background, I've always run at a 9-10 min pace/mile to get out the acids and assist in recovery.

I only run trails (or the beach along the shore in the soft sand) also and try to go to hilly parks. Pavement running gives me shin splints and foot pain, plus it's not the same as the mud runs. What type of shoes do you wear? I like the Vibram FiveFingers. WTF, a panther? Do you train in Africa? LOL. The worst I've come across are deer and a fox, lol. What do you weigh for he races? My natural body weight is 250 but I diet down to 205-210 to run.

I squatted today, got up to 370 for 5 amongst 10 other sets with a bunch of accessory lifts (extensions, calf, lunges) and I'll run real light tomorrow (11min/mile pace) and then increase for Friday's run back up to 9-930/mile pace. Maybe your running regimen is a little too vigorous? Just a thought...

You can run the very next day after squatting? Do you stretch or do anything special, or is this just not a problem for you? I squatted on Friday and I'm still not ready to run yet. My running regime is really not that tough at all, I just get really sore for whatever reason. My upper body is never sore no matter what I do.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
The 3 toughest runs I'm doing this year are Tough Mudder at Mt. Snow, Vermont on 8/10, the Super Sparta at Mountain Creek, NJ on 9/7, and the Spartan Beast in Killington, VT on 9/21. I ran the Beast last year and it was very tough. Only these mountain runs are tough, the ones on flat land are easy. What is Stowe and Cannon?.

Sorry, Stowe and mt SNOW are different mountains altogether. Cannon and Stowe are great ski mountains, both hosting mudder, and spartan this year. Killington is a m'fer!!

I only run trails (or the beach along the shore in the soft sand) also and try to go to hilly parks. Pavement running gives me shin splints and foot pain, plus it's not the same as the mud runs. What type of shoes do you wear? I like the Vibram FiveFingers. WTF, a panther? Do you train in Africa? LOL. The worst I've come across are deer and a fox, lol. What do you weigh for he races? My natural body weight is 250 but I diet down to 205-210 to run..

Same for me on the shin splints. Ya, we saw a black cat when I was younger, my dad said it was a panther, I have no clue....but plenty of coyotes and some fisher cats. FOr the races, I don't cut much....my avg weight is 220, currently 232 when I race it's 212-215 around 10-11% bf.

For shoes, I LOVE LOVE the mizuno wave runners....best running shoe I've ever owned. Great support, amazing stability and great flexibility at the same time.

You can run the very next day after squatting? Do you stretch or do anything special, or is this just not a problem for you? I squatted on Friday and I'm still not ready to run yet. My running regime is really not that tough at all, I just get really sore for whatever reason. My upper body is never sore no matter what I do.

Yes, I prefer it....the day after the run, my legs feel great (still sore from the squats in my hip flexors and glutes though). Like I said, it's a real slow jog, not a training jog....but light as shit, good fat burn pace and the HR stays around 135ish with no more than 2.5-3miles. I played hockey for almost 20 years and leg recovery has never been a real issue with me. oh and to answer your question: LOTS of stretching and rolling.....a solid 12-15 mins pre-run of rolling and stretching.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
I bounce between powerlifting and marathons/ultrarunning; my leg workouts between each sport vary quite a bit.

When I'm running I HAVE to drop squats as the DOMS do me no favours. When I am running I tend to prefer more functional exercises that will benefit the running itself, emphasising things like plyometrics, more hamstring moves, leg press over squats etc.

Stretching is a big key to reducing DOMS I have found, as is nutrition. Running 10 miles is not the problem, but in the days before and after that is definately a consideration eg how are you grouping your runs up between long, tempo, recovery, hills etc?

M

MatthewC

MuscleHead
Dec 7, 2011
I bounce between powerlifting and marathons/ultrarunning; my leg workouts between each sport vary quite a bit.

When I'm running I HAVE to drop squats as the DOMS do me no favours. When I am running I tend to prefer more functional exercises that will benefit the running itself, emphasising things like plyometrics, more hamstring moves, leg press over squats etc.

Stretching is a big key to reducing DOMS I have found, as is nutrition. Running 10 miles is not the problem, but in the days before and after that is definately a consideration eg how are you grouping your runs up between long, tempo, recovery, hills etc?

What are DOMS? I usually ask this when getting intimate, but in this case they have a different meaning.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Is anyone here able to perform leg workouts in the gym (ie, squats, leg presses, etc..) and go on runs outside (10 miles) in the same week without being sore 24/7? In the summer time I like to run those mud/obstacle runs (Tough Mudder, Spartan Race, etc..) but I'm not able to do both leg workouts and running in the same week. The last two years I had to temporarily stop doing legs in the gym while preparing for the races because I'm sore 24x7 and never recover otherwise. I need a good 4-5 days to recover from a leg workout and 2-3 days to recover from a long run. I've been stretching and foam rolling but it's not enough. Is it just me or can anyone else do this? The longest race is 14 miles up a ski mountain in Vermont.

If you have the time, my suggestion would be to split your legs weight training into 2 days keeping the overall volume the same.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
I'm biking 12 mile a day into work 5 days a wk and getting a lift home from a co-worker. I've found if I squat any day before Thursday it's impossible to recover.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Sorry, Stowe and mt SNOW are different mountains altogether. Cannon and Stowe are great ski mountains, both hosting mudder, and spartan this year. Killington is a m'fer!!

Same for me on the shin splints. Ya, we saw a black cat when I was younger, my dad said it was a panther, I have no clue....but plenty of coyotes and some fisher cats. FOr the races, I don't cut much....my avg weight is 220, currently 232 when I race it's 212-215 around 10-11% bf.

For shoes, I LOVE LOVE the mizuno wave runners....best running shoe I've ever owned. Great support, amazing stability and great flexibility at the same time.

Yes, I prefer it....the day after the run, my legs feel great (still sore from the squats in my hip flexors and glutes though). Like I said, it's a real slow jog, not a training jog....but light as shit, good fat burn pace and the HR stays around 135ish with no more than 2.5-3miles. I played hockey for almost 20 years and leg recovery has never been a real issue with me. oh and to answer your question: LOTS of stretching and rolling.....a solid 12-15 mins pre-run of rolling and stretching.

Dude, I live in the middle of the woods in northern New England and I only ever have seen 1 fisher cat and 1 coyote and 1 bear, and the occasional deer and moose and that's over a 15 year period of walking, running and skiing in the woods where I live now. Before I moved here, I lived on a farm near the Adirondacks, and only ever saw deer and the occasional bear and coyote and maybe a pine martin once.

Black panthers occur naturally only in central and south America. Up here there used to be a native catamount (mountain lion) population, but it went extinct about 100 years ago. Recently there have been unconfirmed sightings of catamounts / mountain lions, but even if they have come back, they are so rare, you are more likely to be hit by lightning than to see one. If you did, then you're very lucky. I would love to see one.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Dude, I live in the middle of the woods in northern New England and I only ever have seen 1 fisher cat and 1 coyote and 1 bear, and the occasional deer and moose and that's over a 15 year period of walking, running and skiing in the woods where I live now. Before I moved here, I lived on a farm near the Adirondacks, and only ever saw deer and the occasional bear and coyote and maybe a pine martin once.

Black panthers occur naturally only in central and south America. Up here there used to be a native catamount (mountain lion) population, but it went extinct about 100 years ago. Recently there have been unconfirmed sightings of catamounts / mountain lions, but even if they have come back, they are so rare, you are more likely to be hit by lightning than to see one. If you did, then you're very lucky. I would love to see one.

That's because you live in the woods and all those animals are now living in the suburbs eating our small dogs and garbage.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic