Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Lat pull down

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
I agree with Gixxer - Anything behind the neck for me causes undo stress on my shoulders.

Many studies concurr - My ironic story is that for Presses behind neck are the only heavy press I can do pain free, otherwise I go light. You could have some inherent weakness in the rotator cuff and doing 2-3 sets of 2-5lb pendulum db exercises could loosen and streghthen them enough to add behind neck for a variation or high rep finishing move. I always prefer varied grips, spacing , rep schemes- change every aspect of training often

parttimer

parttimer

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2011
I agree with the "upright" seated position and down the to chest. When you pull behind the next you are externally rotating the shoulder and putting stress on the rotator cuff. I hate the monkeys that turn the pull down into a whole body swinging movement. I will admit I have done them behind the back but only SUPER light cuz damn can you feel them!

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
I find with any movement you need to find a balance between textbook form and moving as much weight as possible without getting injured, I pull down to just above the nipples, slight lean but not overly retarded like I see others doing, tight squeeze at the bottom of the movement. My bread and butter are def pendlay rows and deads but I'll throw cable rows in on rotation as well as weighted chins usually 2-3 back movements per back day deads being the real cornerstone.

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
I find with any movement you need to find a balance between textbook form and moving as much weight as possible without getting injured, I pull down to just above the nipples, slight lean but not overly retarded like I see others doing, tight squeeze at the bottom of the movement. My bread and butter are def pendlay rows and deads but I'll throw cable rows in on rotation as well as weighted chins usually 2-3 back movements per back day deads being the real cornerstone.

With back I think that statement is even more true.
You see alot of guys humpin there way to China with pull downs ,the flip side is using a weight that you can do 30+ reps with.
Something you can do 10-15 reps and have good hard contractions, but when you get to 13, 14, and 15 you are having to exert maximum force to get those reps and hitting failure.

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
In my opinion, one of the best things I've done for back development is hanging on the bar and getting a good stretch towards the end of my workout when I'm all pumped up full of blood.

barbellbeast

barbellbeast

MuscleHead
Oct 4, 2010
My back was a weak point and I definitely brought it up. I don't doubt deadlift's effectiveness at building a big back, but I also don't doubt it's effectiveness at building a big core which I'm trying to avoid. Every workout I hit chins, underhand lat pulldowns and underhand barbell rows. Chins are chins, tested, proven, end of story. Underhand lat pd's I incorporated more after reading and MD with Yates saying it's the best for back development, and I'd say he's right. And underhand bb row's are just more comfortable and feel right to me.

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
Deads build a strong core, they arent going to make you blocky. Don't fear the DL.

klbsa

klbsa

Jan 5, 2011
I do behind the neck and to the chest..... But I prefer doing pull downs with 1 arm cables. And yes at times I do pull downs leaning back and pull it t right below my neck with elbows going straight back to concentrate on upper back and traps. I think you should try all forms of the exercise and just go with what feels right and works for you.

Rein

Rein

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2010
Personally I like deadlifts very much and used to do them all the time but the result was a terrible imbalance on my lats which I don't know how to fix. If you want to dl go ahead and do it, just make sure you don't use a mixed grip or if you do then alternate the position of each arm at every set.

sigman roid

sigman roid

Oct 9, 2011
For me Deads and pull ups are a must ,as with kets i also throw in wide grip lat pulldowns to the front for width along with close grip reverse pull downs for thickness.

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
Personally I like deadlifts very much and used to do them all the time but the result was a terrible imbalance on my lats which I don't know how to fix. If you want to dl go ahead and do it, just make sure you don't use a mixed grip or if you do then alternate the position of each arm at every set.

single arm rows work well if it's an issue with 1 side being weaker than the other.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic