jacobss
What's New?

L-Carnitine

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Who here uses L-Carnitine regularly, and give me the high points.

I've done some reading, and as least for some purposes is used for weight loss. For such protocols I'm seeing a pre-workout IM administration of 500mg-1g taken with carbs (don't know how much), and some talking about taking with 2IUs of Humalog (so I'm guessing at least 20-40g fast acting carbs).

I've also seen people taking it daily year round (as opposed to solely during a cut), and running 200mg pre-workout with carbs. This apparently used for AR improvement (don't understand this exactly, but apparently helps more efficient utilization of androgens, i.e., lower doses needed).

Looking for experienced users and give me honest feedback. Also, what about someone running a keto or carnivore diet and does intermittent fasting (e.g., eating window between noon and 6pm). If I were to work out fasted in the AM, how would L-Carnitine be administered? Or would it not be worthwhile?

Thanks in advance for any inputs.

Reactions: CFM
6P6

6P6

Mar 14, 2024
I've done some of those protocols with injectable l-carnitine but I always got bored with trying to do them and with my crazy life It was hard to stay consistent.

Personally, I love using injectable l-carnitine in the 350-400mg range 30-40 minutes pre workout, IM, with 20-30g of carbs. About 15 minutes into my workout I am sweating like it's 100 degrees on Venice Beach. I really like what it does for my heart and helping androgen receptor sites clean up. I work out late at night and it allows me to take way less stims.

I do several times a week take Alpha Lion's Scorch L-carn which is a liquid oral, non-stimulant. That being said, while oral bioavailability has increased with science there is no substitute to how effective injectable l-carnitine is. With my no frills method I can do it fasted, low carb, whatever and it really operates the same for me. I know there are a lot of theories on front loading, how long it takes to do this or that, but when speaking from just pure experience as an effective tool in the arsenal, I don't really see why anyone would NOT use it!

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Thanks for the input. My concern is that the goal is to get the L-Carnitine uptake into the cells, and such transport is likely poor in a normal keto or carnivore diet with no carbs. Looks like a fast-acting carb taken about 20-30 minutes before workout with the L-Carnitine is necessary, and if I'm utilizing all those carbs in my workout, I should stay in ketosis.

Reactions: 6P6
tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
The Mrs and I both tried inj L-Carnitine a couple years ago, Amino Asylum. No measurable effect, just PIP.
Thanks Wilsom, I'm always looking for feedback. Just curious, were you two running it short term for fat loss effects, or long term for AR receptor effects? Can you give me some idea how long you ran it, and at what dosing? Was it water based or oil based? From my reading it seems like the majority is water based.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
The Mrs and I both tried inj L-Carnitine a couple years ago, Amino Asylum. No measurable effect, just PIP.
Wilson, a couple more questions, did you run a loading dose? Or did you take with insulin to improve uptake? Or intake simple carbs to do the same?

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
Not sure this fits the thread but I have much better responses to just about every supplement especially amino acids when I take a little honey with them. I am talking 0.3 to 0.5 ounces weighed on a cheap digital food scale. 6oz warm water, sometimes a dash of salt and a squeeze of honey 5 minutes before a meal.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
Wilson, a couple more questions, did you run a loading dose? Or did you take with insulin to improve uptake? Or intake simple carbs to do the same?
No just added the inj L-carn in. I had bounced some messages back and forth with Scott Stevenson a couple years back when he did a pod cast on inj L-Carn and tried what was discussed. Honestly can't remember exactly what we did but the dosing was solid.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Any of you guys take it sub q? Any difference from IM?

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
yesterday my my 3rd day of 500mg, noticeable difference in my cardio while grappling yesterday. Due to ease of use, I take my dose in the morning.

myosin

myosin

VIP Member
May 27, 2011
Who here uses L-Carnitine regularly, and give me the high points.

I've done some reading, and as least for some purposes is used for weight loss. For such protocols I'm seeing a pre-workout IM administration of 500mg-1g taken with carbs (don't know how much), and some talking about taking with 2IUs of Humalog (so I'm guessing at least 20-40g fast acting carbs).

I've also seen people taking it daily year round (as opposed to solely during a cut), and running 200mg pre-workout with carbs. This apparently used for AR improvement (don't understand this exactly, but apparently helps more efficient utilization of androgens, i.e., lower doses needed).

Looking for experienced users and give me honest feedback. Also, what about someone running a keto or carnivore diet and does intermittent fasting (e.g., eating window between noon and 6pm). If I were to work out fasted in the AM, how would L-Carnitine be administered? Or would it not be worthwhile?

Thanks in advance for any inputs.
Are you saying take 20-40g fast carbs if not using slin or with?

The AR response,
LCLT supplementation upregulated (P<0.05) preexercise AR content compared with PL (12.9+/-5.9 vs 11.2+/-4.0 au, respectively).

HOW it does that? Don't know... the teste's do use Carnitine to aid in spermatogenesis and testosterone production, but again, how it increases AR receptor I THINK is unknown.

IF: I did it for a long time, I would always do L-car first thing in the morning before my workout, partly to enhance the FFA "shuttling" into the mitochondria.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic