Intermittent fasting...your thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Weight Loss Discussion' started by RAIDEN, Jun 29, 2012.

1. RAIDEN

RAIDEN VIP Member

Feb 22, 2012
    I been checking into intermittent fasting but a lil skeptical. Martin Berkhan is creator of it if im correct, fast 16 hours then eat for 8. I just find it hard to believe you can go that long before gains start to be eaten away at. We have been tought to eat 6 small meals through out the day and so on, but this seems to be against everything we've been taught.

Anyone doing it? Done it? Did you lose gains?

2. abdelrasoul

abdelrasoul Member

Jun 29, 2012
    what up buddy. im new to this site. nice to meet u.

i have been on this diet for about 7 days.i started with stats of 170lbs and 14%bf . my stomach looked alot leaner by the second day and as of tod i weigh in at 167lbs. idk if iv droped bf or water weight, but w.e it is its working lol. i actually look a little leaner. my 16 hour fasting regimen is from 10pm till 2pm . so i basically try to intake almost 2700 calories within those 8hours (2pm-10pm) wich is kinda of tough as of now, but i progress as i go so no biggie. overall its going well. hope that helped a tad bit. feel free to ask any questions.

3. IronInsanity

IronInsanity TID Board Of Directors

May 3, 2011
    I've been considering it too. The whole eat every 2-3 hours or you'll lose your gains is a MYTH. Daily caloric intake and proper macronutrient breakdowns are what matters. I know that this position upsets some bro's but it's the truth. Nothing wrong with eating every 2-3 hours (I usually do it myself). It's an easy way to hit your daily intake if you're bulking. But if you can hit your goal eating fewer/bigger meals there's nothing wrong with it.

Snachito and RAIDEN like this.
  4. abdelrasoul

abdelrasoul Member

Jun 29, 2012
    agreed bro

5. Jasthace

Jasthace VIP Member

May 29, 2011
    I was looking for an argument but I cant argue with that :(

PS fasting just sounds gay to me. I have never done it, haha

jhotsauce7 likes this.
  6. SAD

SAD TID Board Of Directors

Feb 3, 2011
    @jasthace - Funny you should use the word "gay" what with your recent stance in the homosexual union thread, lol. Serious question, because I've seen your name on the boards from day 1 over at meso, and I always assumed you were a male. But then in the pic you posted, it was of you and your boyfriend, and it was a male and female in the picture. Are you a female?

As far as intermittent fasting, when you are on cycle it takes far longer than 4-5 hours to enter a state of catabolism. So I would tend to agree wholeheartedly with II. Off cycle may be a different story, but I don't know the facts on that.

7. Jasthace

Jasthace VIP Member

May 29, 2011
    ^^Yes its very funny thats, why I say it.
    About the pic, Im the guy looking one and the other girl looking one is actually a shemale. Thats what I posted in the gay married thread, yes you are correct.Im glad you noticed and Find it SAD that you have never spoken to me before even though I have been posting this long.
    So you are going to fast ...

jhotsauce7 likes this.
  8. IronInsanity

May 3, 2011
    I'm not sure that clears anything up for me lol

9. RAIDEN

RAIDEN VIP Member

Feb 22, 2012
    I was thinking the exact same thing about jasthace pic in other thread too, good eye.

About IF, being on cycle makes a big difference as far as how soon you will go into catabolic state, didnt even think about that. I agree IronInsanity, alot of bros will see this as taboo or something and cringe at the thought of not eating every 2-3 hours. But i think there is a shift in terms of thinking of what we know and been taught versus what works and what doesnt. Starting to question alot of things myself.

On a side note, i read there is no science that proves eating 6 small meals a day burns more calories or does anything for metaboliism increase...thoughts?

IronInsanity likes this.
  10. IronInsanity

May 3, 2011
    Here is an article on IF by Alan Aragon, arguably the leading researcher of bodybuilding nutrition around. He is also not in bed with the supplement companies. He spells out both the pros and the cons of IF in this article.

11. SAD

SAD TID Board Of Directors

Feb 3, 2011

I am going too fast??? How so??? Conversation is a two way street Jasthace. Do you expect me to go out of my way to converse with you just because I've seen you on the boards for a while? If you expect me to judge you for having a shemale partner, it's not going to happen, but I can say that it is truly perplexing. If you want a female looking, female acting partner, why not just date a girl and have three holes instead of two?

But I digress....

12. Jasthace

Jasthace VIP Member

May 29, 2011
    I completely understand what you are saying.
    Also you are correct ,two holes is probably better than one, for entertainment purposes.
    Good luck with the fasting, I hope it helps you to achieve your goals.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
Tags: