Members
Latest Member
TableEffit
What's New?

Intermittent Fasting When Cutting?

A

arnoldblack

Sep 6, 2010
Honestly, I've heard Intermittent Fasting is literally THE BEST approach to losing weight. I know for a fact that IT works. But the one main factor to any weight loss diet is the calorie deficit.

I don't know much about how IT works as far as increased metabolism, but I do know that once the body is adjusted to IF, the body will get used to "eating windows". The benefits of this are that the body will be able to go for long periods without eating and suffer no hunger pangs. This prevents any over-eating.

Im curious has anybody tried this and what were the results?

Last edited:
Zomb131

Zomb131

MuscleHead
Jan 31, 2011
Why did you post this thread? After reading your first paragraph, you already have an answer.

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
I have always been interested in any kind of fasting as I have heard it has many different positive benefits however the potential for catabolism has kept me from trying more than two days. I remember reading an article in Muscle and fitness in the 80's that Lee Haney would fast for a week each year after the Olympia.

Good luck

RedNeck

RedNeck

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2010
I like using it. But honestly if the hunger really starts to get to me I will have a Carb free protein shake. I know that doesn't follow the rules exactly but it works well for me and I still drop body fat.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Scares me but I want to try this fall after my meet. I have a ravenous appetite and find it hard to believe I won't be hungry

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I like it.

I don't think you have to follow the rule to the T to get good results though.

I was fasting 14 hours, and you are supposed to fast 16.

I think as long as you are 90% on track you will have progress.

I had great results doing it. Once I get back to feeling better I'm going back to it.

It really does control your appetite. I have a hard time getting my macros in for the day. Sometimes I actually have to force myself to eat.

Last edited:
LITTLEMAGS

LITTLEMAGS

VIP Member
Nov 1, 2010
never got good results either on it....lost LBM to quickly. I struggle to maintain the muscle I have and this didnt help me. I dont do it

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I have used IF to make lean gains and to cut. Have been using it for years. There are different ways to do IF, and I recommend you never fast for more than 20 hours. 16 hours works great for me. I have even made significant gains on it. The key is simply making sure macros and calories are there, and you WILL have success with it.

TheClap

TheClap

VIP Member
Oct 25, 2011
Genetically, humans are predators. Predators are gorge animals. Large cats may go days without a kill, and then when they get one they eat thousands and thousands of cals. Then they may go days without food again. Not saying to be that drastic, but it is in our genetics to eat BIG meals and then go without for a while. You wanna look like a predator, eat like a predator because that's what you are:
hqdefault.jpg
un-pitbull-contra-un-2_460x0w.jpg

Most bodybuilding dogma recommends we eat small amounts all day long... like herbivores do. If you want to look like a herbivore, eat like a herbivore:
3.jpg

Last edited:
shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
^^^That is correct. Humans naturally have a feast or famine drive and that's how we survived thousands of years ago. I am sure humans supplemented on berries, bird eggs and other things they could find laying around, but generally, it's nothing against our systems to fast for short periods of time. I do believe that dogs and cats can fast for longer though, they sometimes go weeks.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I think at the end of the day, different methods work for different people.

So if it works for you, continue it.

If it doesn't work, research for a new method.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I think at the end of the day, different methods work for different people.

So if it works for you, continue it.

If it doesn't work, research for a new method.

I am stubborn as an SOB when it comes to this. As I discussed with SAD before, the is only one reason IF wouldn't work for someone, and that's if they are consuming too many calories that they just can't physically get them all in in an 8 hour window. On my training days, I am pushing that limit. Otherwise, if calories and macros are there, it will work.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic