Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

If you only had 2 days a week...

F

FlimsyLimbs

Aug 11, 2022
If you onlyhad two days to trash every single muscle group, what would it look like? What exercises would you pick and in what sequence and why?
I'm asking cause I'm trying to concoct a split but I'm trying to make it as optimized as possible for the amount of time I have available. I'm still pretty new to building training protocols. Any pointers are much appreciated.

K

KyleB

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2012
I wouldn't bother focusing on smaller muscles like bi,tri, calves.

Squat, bench, deadlift. There is a reason powerlifters get decent frames.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Chest, back and shoulders one day and legs and arms the other day. This is my split, but I do it twice a week.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Day one; squat and overhead press
Day two; deadlift and bench

Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole

Jul 31, 2023
Good question.
Steve Reeves, Arnold S, Reg Park and a lot of other early bodybuilders practiced full body workouts as opposed to splitting muscle groups between however many days.
With that in mind, if I had only 2 days a week and figuring in that it takes between 48-72 hours for micro fissures in muscle fiber to heal and fully recover anyway, I would do a full body workout and then another one 3 days or so later.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
Is it any 2 days a wk or do they have to be 2 days in a row?

F

FlimsyLimbs

Aug 11, 2022
Is it any 2 days a wk or do they have to be 2 days in a row?
Any two days. I typically give myself at least one day between when I actually can get there more frequently

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
I’d split it up and do opposing muscles and just do the best you can.

I use to do something similar. Chest, shoulders, triceps, calf raises. I’d superset so I wasn’t there all day.

back, traps, biceps, quads and superset exercises.

Rock Diesel

Rock Diesel

Mar 16, 2022
I'd center my workouts around the 3 big lifts. (Squat, bench and deadlift)

I'd focus on squats and deadlifts one day. Maybe throwing in a few light back exercises with it. The next day I'd focus on bench while adding in some shoulders and arms.

Not necessarily powering through each core lift like a powerlifter, but keeping my volume bit higher. On my squat/deadlift day I'd alternate which one I went a bit heavier with.

Dawgpound Hank

Dawgpound Hank

VIP Member
Mar 20, 2023
If you onlyhad two days to trash every single muscle group, what would it look like? What exercises would you pick and in what sequence and why?
I'm asking cause I'm trying to concoct a split but I'm trying to make it as optimized as possible for the amount of time I have available. I'm still pretty new to building training protocols. Any pointers are much appreciated.
I just spent an hour typing out 2 training splits/scenarios for you. All exercises detailed with reps, sets, etc. Then I said fuq it and deleted it all. Why? Bcoz there IS no way to optimize training only 2 days a week unless your name is Mike Mentzer in his later years where he believed optimal training meant training a bdpt once every 18 days pfffftt. RIP Mike.

Like Arnold says, "You don't find time for exercise, you MAKE time". If you're already a freak, you can prolly hit it 2 days ew for awhile and MAINTAIN your gains - but not long term. Yes, if you are a complete n00b to training, you can make gains on 2 days ew. You might even make some gains if not a n00b, but those gains certainly won't be optimal gains and pale in comparison vs hitting it 4x ew. You get what you put into something. You don't need to be in the gym a long time to get 'er done - only 45-60 mins, 4x a week you CAN make optimal gains. Having said all that, if you still can only muster up 2 days and no more, then I would devote all my energy to compound exercises that taxes numerous muscles, ie, squats, deads, bench, barbell rows, pullups, dips militaries. Don't even look at a cable.

Btw, what is your training experience and level of development? Your answer matters bigtime regarding this topic.

Just my take.

F

FlimsyLimbs

Aug 11, 2022
I just spent an hour typing out 2 training splits/scenarios for you. All exercises detailed with reps, sets, etc. Then I said fuq it and deleted it all. Why? Bcoz there IS no way to optimize training only 2 days a week unless your name is Mike Mentzer in his later years where he believed optimal training meant training a bdpt once every 18 days pfffftt. RIP Mike.

Like Arnold says, "You don't find time for exercise, you MAKE time". If you're already a freak, you can prolly hit it 2 days ew for awhile and MAINTAIN your gains - but not long term. Yes, if you are a complete n00b to training, you can make gains on 2 days ew. You might even make some gains if not a n00b, but those gains certainly won't be optimal gains and pale in comparison vs hitting it 4x ew. You get what you put into something. You don't need to be in the gym a long time to get 'er done - only 45-60 mins, 4x a week you CAN make optimal gains. Having said all that, if you still can only muster up 2 days and no more, then I would devote all my energy to compound exercises that taxes numerous muscles, ie, squats, deads, bench, barbell rows, pullups, dips militaries. Don't even look at a cable.

Btw, what is your training experience and level of development? Your answer matters bigtime regarding this topic.

Just my take.
I had a feeling I would get a 'there is no way' response. Lol but no Im not trying to obtain optimal out of my limited time. Just trying to do what is most beneficial for the allotment. Like which muscle groups are best put together on the same day? I'm familiar with mikes heavy duty stuff. I think that might be ok for guys that blow up when they look at a weight but I'm definitely not one of those guys.

As far as my experience level, with lifting I'm pretty new. I've always been a cardio guy. Light, fast and durable has been my main focus for the last 15 years. Then came calisthenics. I'm only about 2.5 years in to lifting. I feel like I am doing ok. About 30lbs of meaningful progress since I started. I think it's about time for me to actually learn what movements compliment each other instead of just following programs without knowing why.

I more or less am trying to figure out what to put along side the big lifts.

The collective response is telling me compound focus. So I'm going to try to build on that. Hopefully when I get oriented in my new situation I'll be able to get back to my 4 days a week. Just trying to not to go backwards in the mean time.

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
Monday:
Bench
Tri movement
Row
Bi movement
Squat
Calves
Farmers Carry