Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

How weak were you?

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
this should put it in perspective for ya...

It was a big deal when I could put 45lb plates on the barbell for flat bench haha. Pretty embarrassing using a quarter on each side...

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
I started training after HS. I had reached my full height of 5'7, but I only weighed about 135 or so back then. I recall being able to do a few reps with 85 pounds on the bench, and also a few reps with a full quarter on each side for squats. I also recall early deadlifting - putting a 45 or even a 35 on each side of a short bar that probably weighed 20-25 pounds. :D

My legs grew faster than my upper body. It wasn't long before I began to squat with a 35 on each side, then a full 45 on each side a short time later. My lower body kept progressing, and I actually enjoyed my weekly 20 rep set of "breathing squats" that often made me ill. But it seemed like forever before I was able to finally start repping with a full 45 on each side of the bar on the bench press. And I found out pretty early on that I was better at rowing and curling than I was at pressing.

I kept at it over many years, and eventually got up to near 230 at a bodyfat % of probably mid teens or so without drugs. I've squatted a little over 500 on occasion and pulled just under 600 on rack deads a couple of times here and there. I also benched 315 for one quite easily before I messed up my shoulders back in 2005-2006 - I'm lucky if I can get 300 for one these days, and I take it easy on pressing movements - more reps and volume with more deliberate form, less worrying about pushing up as much weight as I can explosively.

ajdonutz

ajdonutz

VIP Member
May 23, 2012
started at 5'10" 275 lbs of pure fat. Never been to the gym, pure fat. Benched 160 and no idea my squat or DL, probably squatted Round 180. Worked out for looks and started eating right and at my smallest was a ripped 160 lbs. When I started training for size and strength I was 160 lbs, could bench 185 for 3-4, maybe max 210-220, and squat 205 for 3-4, maybe max 230-240. I am now benching 410-420, and squatting 510 or so, that's with knee and back injuries as well.

sootywooty

sootywooty

MuscleHead
Sep 12, 2013
I kept at it over many years, and eventually got up to near 230 at a bodyfat % of probably mid teens or so without drugs. I've squatted a little over 500 on occasion and pulled just under 600 on rack deads a couple of times here and there. I also benched 315 for one quite easily before I messed up my shoulders back in 2005-2006 - I'm lucky if I can get 300 for one these days, and I take it easy on pressing movements - more reps and volume with more deliberate form, less worrying about pushing up as much weight as I can explosively.

That was good progress for drug free BB btw! Yes i know what you mean my shoulders get abit sore now and my knee joints i need to warm up well also.

I am 5' 8'' and got to 270lbs drug free, but my waist got to big through squating and i even grow bulk around it. Now i squat light, and have just purchased one of those angled squating machines to try when it comes, but also my waist has gone right down now and i feel better for it, i weighed in at 215lbs this morning and checked my BF at 7%.

Last edited:
extremevet

extremevet

MuscleHead
Oct 18, 2011
Started with the Ted Williams sand filled weights. The first gym I joined I think it was 1985 or 6 (pretty sure it was world gym) my heavy bench set was 95. I remember my first day sporting my BUM equipment and this beast unloading 405 lbs then me throwing my dimes on for my first set... If the phrase FML had been around then I would have said it. On the other hand I could do 4 reps squatting 135... lmao

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
165# dripping wet..... it took me 9 months to bench 135. A year until I could squat that.

In gear I've almost got a 2500# total now and although I don't compete raw I've hit mid 700s in the raw squat and pull and mid 500s in the bench raw. Took 100% dedication over the last 13 years.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
That was good progress for drug free BB btw! Yes i know what you mean my shoulders get abit sore now and my knee joints i need to warm up well also.

I am 5' 8'' and got to 270lbs drug free, but my waist got to big through squating and i even grow bulk around it. Now i squat light, and have just purchased one of those angled squating machines to try when it comes, but also my waist has gone right down now and i feel better for it, i weighed in at 215lbs this morning and checked my BF at 7%.

Great job - you must be VERY lean!

I'm pretty small framed BTW. I don't think I look like I weigh anywhere near what I do, but that's what the scales tell me consistently - I go between 215 or so to upper 220s, depending upon what's going on - how consistent I am, how much I'm eating or not eating, whether or not I'm temporarily overstressed with outside stuff (usually leading to skipped workouts, poorer eating habits, excessive drinking, etc), and whatnot.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
165# dripping wet..... it took me 9 months to bench 135. A year until I could squat that.

In gear I've almost got a 2500# total now and although I don't compete raw I've hit mid 700s in the raw squat and pull and mid 500s in the bench raw. Took 100% dedication over the last 13 years.

Wow awesome progress. I can only dream about a 500 pound bench right now.

sootywooty

sootywooty

MuscleHead
Sep 12, 2013
Great job - you must be VERY lean!

I'm pretty small framed BTW. I don't think I look like I weigh anywhere near what I do, but that's what the scales tell me consistently - I go between 215 or so to upper 220s, depending upon what's going on - how consistent I am, how much I'm eating or not eating, whether or not I'm temporarily overstressed with outside stuff (usually leading to skipped workouts, poorer eating habits, excessive drinking, etc), and whatnot.

Thanks Alot JR! I hope your outside life improves btw! i have been through much stress at times in the past also. Drinking dont help much really, i found training was better what ever type i did.

Yes you must look good! because small bones and one inch shorter than me, i have a medium bone structure.

All the best, Paul.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
Thanks Alot JR! I hope your outside life improves btw! i have been through much stress at times in the past also. Drinking dont help much really, i found training was better what ever type i did.

Yes you must look good! because small bones and one inch shorter than me, i have a medium bone structure.

All the best, Paul.

I don't look all that great really, other than my pretty mug. :D

I kinda resemble Tom Platz from the neck down, only not quite as freaky in the legs (especially not in the calf department) and not quite as disproportioned in terms of lower body / upper body ratio and hip / shoulder ratio. I always wanted Sergio Oliva's build, but I didn't have the genes for it.

As for outside stresses, I'd be REALLY worried if I WASN'T stressed at all. Kinda comes with the territory when it comes to money, finance, investments, etc. Drinking at least a little (or more) can come with the territory too. Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in things whether they're going good or not so good, but I do try to avoid very much booze very often. :D

C

crazy jack

Dec 29, 2013
I started working out in 1977, still using the same weight.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic