Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

How much can you dumbbell row?

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
The guy in the last vides strength is unreal for what he looks like.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
i guess but thats the first full body dumbell row ive ever seen.

Same here, I really like the idea of the one on the lat pulldown Machine, I gonna try those out. I'll do standing lat pulldowns at an angle like that with the wife bar sometimes. But that ROM with the close grip the way he's performing it looks killer!

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
Switched gyms and now they only go up to 100. So I switched to barbell rows. But I did like doing the Kroc rows with heavy weight. If you read his stuff he isn't as big on keeping the form as great as the weight goes up which I like sometimes haha. But I think the real key is are you really hitting the muscles the best you can.

wesleyinman

wesleyinman

MuscleHead
Jan 9, 2014
The weight of a dumbell row should not be as important to a bodybuilder, as is the ROM and the full extension of the exercise with a moderate weight.

A "kroc" row is a powerlifters or strongmans concept. In both sports, momentum is allowed and advocated. It helps. In strongman, a kroc type row, or a cheat row will help you lift atlas stones easier and flip tires. Though I would never advocate a "kroc" row. It's usually just someone with an ego trying to impress someone else. It's about as cool as loading up 20plates on each side of a leg press and moving it 3" x 10 reps and thinking you actually did something worthwhile in your life.

Also I would argue a bodybuilder should NEVER do a kroc or full body row, its simply idiotic. Take your legs completely out of the equation. Your hip flexors and quads should not be doing ANY lifting as part of a "row". Kneel on a flat bench, start with the weight on the ground, and row it up as high as you can into your chest/lat/oblique area depending on the portion of the lat you are attempting to isolate.

Also if you are doing this correctly you will be "shrugging" the weight the first 12-18" off the floor, meaning your arm is straight and it doesn't begin the pulling portion until a certain distance has been traveled. Once your bicep takes over, you have now eliminated any remote chance of successfully pulling the weight to the proper part of the body if you are going too heavy. Show me anyone who can hammer curl a 150lb dumbell for even 3" in a strict motion like a row forces you to do at the top portion of the lift.

Heavy rows have their place, for certain, I do these too..but i would never be so foolish to use any portion of legs in a "row". That is what "LEG" day is for.

Remember, "stupidity is simply a TALENT for misconception".

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
I rarely do them anymore, and when I do it's after doing rack pulls, pullups, and bb and t-bar rows. I may do a couple of sets here and there on occasion as a substitute for the machine low rows I do at that point in most back workouts.

Anyway, I'll do somewhere around 110 pounds or so at the most, give or take, for a couple of sets of 8-10 reps at that point in the workout.

F

Fury

MuscleHead
Jun 6, 2012
I alternate from dumbbell to barbell rows.weight to me is irrelevant but squeeze and contraction is the key

sjb1962

sjb1962

Aug 21, 2012
Moral of the story, its like asking a chick how many guys she slept with, youll never get an accurate answer.

Wait... What? Are you saying that women aren't honest about that stuff? Now it all makes sense, I wondered how my "virgin" wife knew all those tricks... :eek:

oldschool1967

oldschool1967

VIP Member
Aug 6, 2011
If I am running bol, I can rep with the 180's, if im natty I stick with the 160's, a bitch to hold so it is one of the few exercises I will use straps with.

ozzy69

ozzy69

MuscleHead
Apr 5, 2011
no heavier than 90s after that most guys lose form

parttimer

parttimer

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2011
Did 4 sets of 120 for 8 yesterday, don't usually do them. Have done 5 sets of 8 at 150 but I get tired of rolling the damn things to where I am to liftem. I prefer the bent over row thing with the v-bar handle anyway.

crowman

crowman

MuscleHead
Nov 2, 2011
The weight of a dumbell row should not be as important to a bodybuilder, as is the ROM and the full extension of the exercise with a moderate weight.

A "kroc" row is a powerlifters or strongmans concept. In both sports, momentum is allowed and advocated. It helps. In strongman, a kroc type row, or a cheat row will help you lift atlas stones easier and flip tires. Though I would never advocate a "kroc" row. It's usually just someone with an ego trying to impress someone else. It's about as cool as loading up 20plates on each side of a leg press and moving it 3" x 10 reps and thinking you actually did something worthwhile in your life.

Also I would argue a bodybuilder should NEVER do a kroc or full body row, its simply idiotic. Take your legs completely out of the equation. Your hip flexors and quads should not be doing ANY lifting as part of a "row". Kneel on a flat bench, start with the weight on the ground, and row it up as high as you can into your chest/lat/oblique area depending on the portion of the lat you are attempting to isolate.

Also if you are doing this correctly you will be "shrugging" the weight the first 12-18" off the floor, meaning your arm is straight and it doesn't begin the pulling portion until a certain distance has been traveled. Once your bicep takes over, you have now eliminated any remote chance of successfully pulling the weight to the proper part of the body if you are going too heavy. Show me anyone who can hammer curl a 150lb dumbell for even 3" in a strict motion like a row forces you to do at the top portion of the lift.

Heavy rows have their place, for certain, I do these too..but i would never be so foolish to use any portion of legs in a "row". That is what "LEG" day is for.

Remember, "stupidity is simply a TALENT for misconception".

very good post! I would have to completely agree with you.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic