Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
BluueWater_Hunter
What's New?

How accurate are the BP machines at the store?

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
Many are deliberately set to OVERESTIMATE BP, thus they should be considered a screening tool.

So if your BP is A-OK your very likely GTG, if elevated, the BP should be repeated in a specified health care facility. (Of course this is all contingent on the individual using them correctly AND averaging THREE BP measurements at least 5 min apart, IMO)

Yea I know what a pain in the arse, but I betcha it's shorter than the amount of time you will spend waiting at some HCF.

regs
jim

ozzy69

ozzy69

MuscleHead
Apr 5, 2011
When I give blood I instantly tell them to get the larger cuff for my arm otherwise the standard cuff says my BP is thru the roof.

My wife takes my BP every day to keep track of her "moron husband" her words not mine. She has also cut off my caffeine consumption to almost nothing to help keep my BP in check.

those machines at Walmart/CVS/et al.... Are designed for arms no bigger than 13" I can barely get my forearm in those things
if you feel the need to have your BP checked date a nurse bro.

Cro-MagNum Muscle

Cro-MagNum Muscle

Jun 25, 2014
If your arm is too large they are not very accurate at all. I have gotten pretty good readings using my forearm instead.

MaxSeg

MaxSeg

MuscleHead
Aug 23, 2012
You need the extra large cuff or it will false read. And it always false reads high.
Even when I go to doc I've had teks go for the regular cuff. I let them try it too see there's no way! Need the extra large cuff for accuracy.

What he said.....

DLTH

DLTH

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2011
Those drugstore sleeves are made for 9-13" arms. For that reason I'm skeptical.

If that's you in your avatar then no, your arms aren't fitting.
Those machines suck! My girl checked her BP while at walmart recently. It basically said her heart was about to explode. I immediately took her to my buddy's house whom is a physicians assistant. He said she was a hair above normal and attributed that to the excitement of driving over.
My g/f checked hers right after and it said hers was perfect.
Many are deliberately set to OVERESTIMATE BP, thus they should be considered a screening tool.

So if your BP is A-OK your very likely GTG, if elevated, the BP should be repeated in a specified health care facility. (Of course this is all contingent on the individual using them correctly AND averaging THREE BP measurements at least 5 min apart, IMO)

Yea I know what a pain in the arse, but I betcha it's shorter than the amount of time you will spend waiting at some HCF.

regs
jim

Is this a fact? Mine was really high, I'm no doctor but it wasn't good.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I get a decent reading off my forearm, it's not the same as the MD's office but I would say within 5 pts up or down is close enough.

Gregger

Gregger

MuscleHead
Dec 16, 2012
I get a decent reading off my forearm, it's not the same as the MD's office but I would say within 5 pts up or down is close enough.

I'm with you, I get better (read lower) readings when they take it on my forearm.
Also, a clinic I go to has gone to the wrist model; and I carry a wrist unit around with me as well.

Greg

P

pepino

Jul 1, 2013
A friend told me that those BP machs at the store are programmed to NOT give accurate readings.

Why do you think they put them next to the pharmacy and now those mini-med centers?

So folks get a false reading and immediately demand drugs for their supposed high BP.

It's really a great marketing tool if you think about it:-o

ItalianMuscle

ItalianMuscle

Drama Queen senior Vip
Sep 1, 2010
My dentist has one that just goes on your wrist. Its accurate..

ajdonutz

ajdonutz

VIP Member
May 23, 2012
I was always able to get a seemingly accurate reading at wal mart up to about 17.5in on my arms, very tight fit but it never read me way over or anything. at 19in they no longer come close to fitting in

DLTH

DLTH

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2011
Since I posted this I had asked my cousin who's a manager at walgreens and he said they are not calibrated as often as they should be and not accurate,

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic