Latest Member
Samson0692
What's New?

Hernia down south

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
Anyone ever had a groin hernia? I had an umbilical hernia about 10 years ago. Recover was pretty much a breeze. This one is painful and can’t be too active as it flares up. Went to general practitioner and she made a referral to a surgeon (Oct 12th)

I'm not even sure when it tore.

Anyone have any experience with a groin hernia?

Thanks!

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
Anyone ever had a groin hernia? I had an umbilical hernia about 10 years ago. Recover was pretty much a breeze. This one is painful and can’t be too active as it flares up. Went to general practitioner and she made a referral to a surgeon (Oct 12th)

I'm not even sure when it tore.

Anyone have any experience with a groin hernia?

Thanks!

I had one as a kid. It’s hard to remember much, but I do feel like the recovery was a little harder than the umbilical one I had a few years ago. You might not be able to be as functional as quickly after surgery like you are with the umbilical, but you’ll still be good in a few weeks at most. They are pretty invasive now days and very little damage is done to tissue to make the repair. Keep us updated brother. I hope all goes well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Good that you were referred to a surgeon, and pretty soon as well.

These are the reason some docs will put their hand down there during a routine physical and tell you to cough. Do a quick search for "inguinal hernia" so you'll know more about what the surgeon will be talking about. These things can range all the way from a worrisome inconvenience (that still should at least get a doctor's attention) to something more dangerous. They have the potential to restrict blood supply to various other things nearby. Might be tolerable in the early stages, but might get worse if ignored.

Rock Diesel

Rock Diesel

Mar 16, 2022
I've had an inguinal hernia and had surgery for it. It's really not too bad. You'll be sore, but nothing intolerable. I wasn't allowed to pick up anything over 10lbs for the first couple weeks and was advised to stay out of the gym for 4-6 weeks. I went ahead and took the full 6 weeks away to make sure I healed all the way. I would advise not to rush it. Make sure your fully healed before going back. You'll eventually be back to doing eactly what you're doing now in the gym. Mine was laparoscopic with minimal scaring. Just 3 tiny incisions below my belly button.

Prior to surgery, I would make sure you have a good supply of a stool softener and a laxative (just in case). Using the bathroom isn't fun for the first couple weeks and you don't want to "push". Anything you can do to make that process more gentle will make your life so much better. My surgeon advised me to get up and walk when I was able to, but not to overdo it. You'll know if you do. I wasn't able to lay flat for a few weeks, so I slept at an incline to be more comfortable. Also made getting up and down easier.

Overall it's really not too bad. You'll be sore, but it's nothing crazy unless you're trying to move around and do more than you should. I took it easy and just walked. You got this.

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
Thanks bruthas it can get pretty painful
I've had an inguinal hernia and had surgery for it. It's really not too bad. You'll be sore, but nothing intolerable. I wasn't allowed to pick up anything over 10lbs for the first couple weeks and was advised to stay out of the gym for 4-6 weeks. I went ahead and took the full 6 weeks away to make sure I healed all the way. I would advise not to rush it. Make sure your fully healed before going back. You'll eventually be back to doing eactly what you're doing now in the gym. Mine was laparoscopic with minimal scaring. Just 3 tiny incisions below my belly button.

Prior to surgery, I would make sure you have a good supply of a stool softener and a laxative (just in case). Using the bathroom isn't fun for the first couple weeks and you don't want to "push". Anything you can do to make that process more gentle will make your life so much better. My surgeon advised me to get up and walk when I was able to, but not to overdo it. You'll know if you do. I wasn't able to lay flat for a few weeks, so I slept at an incline to be more comfortable. Also made getting up and down easier.

Overall it's really not too bad. You'll be sore, but it's nothing crazy unless you're trying to move around and do more than you should. I took it easy and just walked. You got this.
Great feedback and thanks for the reply.

Sitting at my desk right now is not comfortable I’d put the pain level at 5 or 6. I’m not sure I can make it till the 12th. If I sit in a lazy reclined posture it’s a little better. A recliner or laying flat relieves the tightness and pain 100%. I’ve been on ibuprofen and aleave hoping to minimize inflammation

A

Alan3393

Sep 25, 2022
Rock diesel has it spot on, i am 3 weeks post op for both an umbilical hernia and an inguinal , umbilical not to bad but the other is very sore and as advised i am taking the full 6 weeks away from weights just doing some walking but not great distances find my waistband is rubbing the cut.

Rock Diesel

Rock Diesel

Mar 16, 2022
Thanks bruthas it can get pretty painful

Great feedback and thanks for the reply.

Sitting at my desk right now is not comfortable I’d put the pain level at 5 or 6. I’m not sure I can make it till the 12th. If I sit in a lazy reclined posture it’s a little better. A recliner or laying flat relieves the tightness and pain 100%. I’ve been on ibuprofen and aleave hoping to minimize inflammation
I know exactly how you feel. I remember the waiting part too. I had to wait a few weeks before mine and it wasn't very comfortable lol. Especially driving. I was so nervous about the surgery, but after being so uncomfortable for a few weeks I was more relieved to finally get it done when the day finally came.

Miralax and Colace will be your best friends after the surgery. They will help keep everything moving with minimal effort. I kept some milk of magnesia on hand just in case I couldn't go, but needed to. (Only had to use that once) The food you eat will play a big role. Don't eat anything that typically causes you gas (not too comfortable after this type of surgery) or anything that will constipate you.

I only took a couple of the pain meds that were prescribed. For the most part, I was able to keep the soreness at a reasonable level with Tylenol. I'm not really a fan of pain meds and the prescribed pain meds can cause constipation, which is another good reason to only use them if you have too. Other than that take it easy, walk when you can, stay hydrated and try not to sneeze lol.

Rock Diesel

Rock Diesel

Mar 16, 2022
Rock diesel has it spot on, i am 3 weeks post op for both an umbilical hernia and an inguinal , umbilical not to bad but the other is very sore and as advised i am taking the full 6 weeks away from weights just doing some walking but not great distances find my waistband is rubbing the cut.
Mine did the same thing. One of my incisions was close to where I wear my pants and I could feel the waistband rubbing there some. I bought some really soft, loose, baggy pajama type pants and wore them all the time at first. Helped a little bit. I didn't wear a belt for a while once I was able to get out and about.

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
Went to see the surgeon last week. Looks like I’m gonna have to man up on this till February or March.
With surgeries unreasonably being pushed back during Covid there’s a huge backup with patients waiting for hernia surgery. I’m on a cancellation list hoping to get in sooner.

Pretty painful man I’ll tell you and lifting ain’t fun. As long as I’m sitting relaxed I’m almost good but being on my feet for a prolonged time the fucker bulges painfully (burns too). About half the size of a golf ball. When I sit down and relax my core it slides back into a tear that feels about 2 inches long. About as big as LK’s cawk in the selfie he pm’d me last Christmas Eve.

anyways I'm lifting light free weights but can go heavy on machines. Pull ups are still good. I’ll keep at it and hope my guts don’t blow out before surgery is scheduled

Rock Diesel

Rock Diesel

Mar 16, 2022
I know how you feel man. Luckily mine was before Covid and I didn't have to wait that long to get it repaired. (Few weeks to a month) It sucked waiting though. I backed off the heavy weights on most of my workouts and took it easy. Just trying to maintain without making it worse. You'll be relieved once it's finally done. Stay strong bro.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic