Members
Latest Member
angelarbatt
What's New?

Hamstring Injury?

Azog

Azog

Sep 9, 2012
I didn't have any serious injuries like you, but GH got rid of all my nagging little pains. My hip which has an impingement even feels great. Listen to POB his advice is spot on! I run 4-5iu rips, and it is great. I split the dose between first thing AM and PWO. Keeps me nice and lean and I recover fast as hell.

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
I didn't have any serious injuries like you, but GH got rid of all my nagging little pains. My hip which has an impingement even feels great. Listen to POB his advice is spot on! I run 4-5iu rips, and it is great. I split the dose between first thing AM and PWO. Keeps me nice and lean and I recover fast as hell.

Thank you for the input brother

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Hamstring injuries can linger forever. I would look into getting some ultrasound therapy on the area. Will help out a ton. Slow and steady wins the race with an injury like this.

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
Hamstring injuries can linger forever. I would look into getting some ultrasound therapy on the area. Will help out a ton. Slow and steady wins the race with an injury like this.

You're not kidding, it has taken forever. Thank you for the tip ill look into it for sure

Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu

Apr 21, 2013
I get at least one hamstring micro tear a year. The cause is usually one of 2 things: Getting sloppy w/ technique when lifting, and thinking I am a young bad ass man when Kickboxing/MT.

The last one happened 2 weeks ago, I was throwing hard shin roundhouses on the bag, got the brilliant idea "throw a high kick." Bad decision ( I guess I am just not accepting getting old). There are 3 grades of tear, 1, 2, and 3.

Last year I got a grade 1 and was able to train around it, the one I just got is probably a grade 2. A grade 3 is a complete tear that must be surgically reattached.

So, just the treadmill for cardio (yawn). I stopped deadlifting w/ the bar and use a machine that simulates a deadlift. It hits my lower back as well as deads, w/ less stress on the hamstring.

Also, I do seated leg curls instead of lying. And I only use 70-80 lbs. It is kind of embarrassing when you are lifting the same weight as some of the women at the gym.

However, the only solution is to find ways to train around the injury. As stated above, if you push it too far you will need surgery, a very bad thing. Even a grade 1-2 usually takes 5-6 months to recover from. Bones heal faster than tendons.

Last edited:
M

Mad_dawg

Dec 9, 2010
I would suggest an MRI too, just to be sure had bad your pull is. I had a complete rupture while doing judo. It had been bothering me a little but didn't pay too much attention to it. It started while doing throws with some other 300 pounders and was at the base of my left pelvis/butt check area. While doing hard randori one night it blew completely from where it attaches at the top. I tell you all this because had I stopped completely for a while and then started back SLOW, I probably would not be in the situation I am in now. Also, I unfortunately had no idea it was my hamstring where it was hurting. I just thought my glute was bothering me for some reason.

You are at least in a position to get it checked and if need be lay off for a while (you can still train other thing like upper body or whatever). Trust me, the lay off will not hurt you at all. Being an old man now I look back and think of all the times I kind of "knew" I should back off and didn't and ended up with torn muscles. Well, that just amounted to waaaay more time off and compromised body parts than I like to admit.

As for my diagnosis, My surgeon flat told me, if my career/income depended on it, we wouldn't be having this conversation, we would be in surgery. His recommendation was that at my age (45) that my knee (left knee he previously repaired from judo/grappling) would hinder me more than my hamstring. He said it would basically adhere itself to the surrounding tissue. He said I would be able to deadlift and squat, but jumping and running were out. Lol... I told him I'm a powerlifter doc, we don't jump or run. Since then I have only been up to a 565 deadlift and 365 front squat (still a little afraid to back squat much. I "believe" I would be farther along if it weren't for the bicep pull from atlas stones and then the tricep I had reattached about 7 months ago. Those layoff hindered my training. More mentally than physically.

I'm telling you all this so hopefully you will get it checked and if needed take time off to recover. I compete in powerlifting and not sure if you compete, but if you do you probably don't know when to stop either. I think my judo competition days are over. If I ever get this tricep completely rehabbed I might move into grappling (bjj) for my cardio.

As for more to your question about gear, EQ was good to me with my other tricep reattachment. I took things pretty slow and was several years younger at that time which helped.

Think about it. If it's taking forever right now and you are still training, you're probably causing more micro tears and keeping it inflamed. Give it a break, trust me. Don't be as stubborn as I am. I'd hate to check back in here i2 months or something and hear you torn it doing deads or squats or whatever.....

Best of luck,

Peace,
Mad_dawg

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
Thanks for sharing your experience brothers... I appreciate all the help I've been given with this. I have an MRI schedule for next Fri, I got one when it first happened but it won't hurt anything to have it looked at again.

Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu

Apr 21, 2013
I would suggest an MRI too, just to be sure had bad your pull is. I had a complete rupture while doing judo. It had been bothering me a little but didn't pay too much attention to it. It started while doing throws with some other 300 pounders and was at the base of my left pelvis/butt check area. While doing hard randori one night it blew completely from where it attaches at the top. I tell you all this because had I stopped completely for a while and then started back SLOW, I probably would not be in the situation I am in now. Also, I unfortunately had no idea it was my hamstring where it was hurting. I just thought my glute was bothering me for some reason.

You are at least in a position to get it checked and if need be lay off for a while (you can still train other thing like upper body or whatever). Trust me, the lay off will not hurt you at all. Being an old man now I look back and think of all the times I kind of "knew" I should back off and didn't and ended up with torn muscles. Well, that just amounted to waaaay more time off and compromised body parts than I like to admit.

As for my diagnosis, My surgeon flat told me, if my career/income depended on it, we wouldn't be having this conversation, we would be in surgery. His recommendation was that at my age (45) that my knee (left knee he previously repaired from judo/grappling) would hinder me more than my hamstring. He said it would basically adhere itself to the surrounding tissue. He said I would be able to deadlift and squat, but jumping and running were out. Lol... I told him I'm a powerlifter doc, we don't jump or run. Since then I have only been up to a 565 deadlift and 365 front squat (still a little afraid to back squat much. I "believe" I would be farther along if it weren't for the bicep pull from atlas stones and then the tricep I had reattached about 7 months ago. Those layoff hindered my training. More mentally than physically.

I'm telling you all this so hopefully you will get it checked and if needed take time off to recover. I compete in powerlifting and not sure if you compete, but if you do you probably don't know when to stop either. I think my judo competition days are over. If I ever get this tricep completely rehabbed I might move into grappling (bjj) for my cardio.

As for more to your question about gear, EQ was good to me with my other tricep reattachment. I took things pretty slow and was several years younger at that time which helped.

Think about it. If it's taking forever right now and you are still training, you're probably causing more micro tears and keeping it inflamed. Give it a break, trust me. Don't be as stubborn as I am. I'd hate to check back in here i2 months or something and hear you torn it doing deads or squats or whatever.....

Best of luck,

Peace,
Mad_dawg

Take downs are probably the most dangerous aspect of MMA/self defense training. I have seen more injuries going from standing to the grounds, than any other aspect of grappling. I am starting to become forgetful, probably because of sparring in boxing/k boxing/and MT. I had a good wrestling background (3 years varsity in HS, and ranked 5th by NAGA in my last year of competing).

We used to have this 240 lb (lean) Judoka who was an Olympic alternate for England. On the mat, and w/ out the gi standing I would usually tap him/take him down.

But if you were doing takedowns w/ a gi, this guy was absolutely brutal. He could seriously toss someone across the room.

Judo is a very, very rough sport, and I would not recommend training unless you are 100%.

K

KHC89

May 2, 2013
I tore my pec abt 3 months ago and began doing high rep stuff right away...would do 100 reps or so on bench with the bar each workout, adding weight after about a week....healed pretty quickly.

Id try some high rep work..

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
I tore my pec abt 3 months ago and began doing high rep stuff right away...would do 100 reps or so on bench with the bar each workout, adding weight after about a week....healed pretty quickly.

Id try some high rep work..

Thats what Ive been doing for about the last six months... f-ucking hamstrings are a bitch though it just won't heal. I can still squat, leg curls, step-ups and a few other things but I can barely pull anything anymore and I think it's getting worse so i might be ditching deads for a while.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Thats what Ive been doing for about the last six months... f-ucking hamstrings are a bitch though it just won't heal. I can still squat, leg curls, step-ups and a few other things but I can barely pull anything anymore and I think it's getting worse so i might be ditching deads for a while.

If you have insurance go get an mri. Get that thing right. best of luck jdub

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
Thanks brother I have one scheduled on Fri

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic