Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Nickobat

Got my new Bench Shirt (Got a question for the collective)

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
Halo that is a big difference in size. A bench shirt is meant to be custom made for each person and not standard sizes. It's amazing how much more you can bench press with a shirt that fits prefect.

How much more can you bench with this shirt vs raw? Do the sleeves go all the way down to the elbow?

I figured as much Admin, I'm kinda running solo out here except for the advice I get here but I know I need to find a group of people that can get me right in person.

The shirt sleeves are above the elbow and as I got some blood in my arms they snugged but I'm sure nowhere near as tight as they should be. My numbers are 450 raw, 505 with the RAM and the first night with the shirt I hit 545 to the touch, I felt like I had more in the tank but felt no need to try my luck I was more working on the mechanics and my arch etc but did feel the need to go for a little :) Again one of my issues is I work alone a majority of the time and I'm trying not to die under a bar. I trust my wife up to an extent she knows how to apply a lb where it's needed so theres no sticking and we don't have an incident. I grabbed a couple of guys and gave them pretty clear instructions and all went well this time but as I said gotta be a little careful or get with a group of people who know what they are doing.

I think I'll take PLK's advice and have the sleeves altered but even with them a little looser than ideal it wasn't a bad experience.

Last edited:
Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
When your coming down to touch, your wrists kinda go backwards and then your kinda stuck.. Make sense?

Gotcha Jute, I don't think I was anywhere near that plus I'm using Titan's titanium 36" wraps and my hand is a cast LOL..not saying they couldn't go on me but they didn't feel like it this time. I will make sure and keep mindful of those things, thanks again for all the advice and suggestions I need all I can get as I start to move up in weight.

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
Halo with a 450 raw bench you should easily hit 650 in a shirt. Let me see if I can get you a video.

J

jute

Dec 22, 2010
Im thinking if your benching 505 raw and touching with 545 that shirt is no where near tight enough. I bench around 386 raw, and can hit a fairly easy 601 with my shirt on. I can probably get close to high 600's if I didnt open my new business and havent been able to train in a few months. How tight is the chest plate? Do you know if you have someone stand in front of you, (while your sucking your chest in) they pull down on your shirt and get the plate to come lower, you will get more out of your shirt.. YOU MUST BE CAREFUL doing this.. It will be a slightly different groove.

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
Im thinking if your benching 505 raw and touching with 545 that shirt is no where near tight enough. I bench around 386 raw, and can hit a fairly easy 601 with my shirt on. I can probably get close to high 600's if I didnt open my new business and havent been able to train in a few months. How tight is the chest plate? Do you know if you have someone stand in front of you, (while your sucking your chest in) they pull down on your shirt and get the plate to come lower, you will get more out of your shirt.. YOU MUST BE CAREFUL doing this.. It will be a slightly different groove.

I hear you guys but being my first night with it, I really wasn't trying to push the limits I was just trying to work with it find the groove and get a little muscle memory started. When I put my belt on I rolled the bottom of the shirt around the bench bar and stood up pulling the collar and plate down so I could take advantage of the Super Katana's reinforced neck line it worked at least it felt like it to me. My touch was just at the bottom of my sternum and it didn't feel like it was going to roll it felt solid.

Halo with a 450 raw bench you should easily hit 650 in a shirt. Let me see if I can get you a video.

I would shit to bench in the mid 6's I really don't feel like I have the right people around me to be testing that yet though maybe in a rack with some pins. I realize the Super Katana is a near double ply but wow I didn't realize that I could be that high at this point. You guys are getting me pumped just thinking about it. I wish I had some real lifting partners around me....shit!

J

jute

Dec 22, 2010
I will be getting close to 300lbs out of my shirt.. Thats where board work comes in. Lets u get used to handling alot of weight with out the fear of injury. Plus it lets you work on your stabilizers.. Theres been times Ive almost tipped off the bench from not taking it from the handout correctly.

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
I will be getting close to 300lbs out of my shirt.. Thats where board work comes in. Lets u get used to handling alot of weight with out the fear of injury. Plus it lets you work on your stabilizers.. Theres been times Ive almost tipped off the bench from not taking it from the handout correctly.

That's amazing Jute!!! I am always the most nervous during the handout!

J

jute

Dec 22, 2010
I get a bit nervous right before touching.. thinking to myself.. I hope to fuck I get this off my chest.. haha

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
I get a bit nervous right before touching.. thinking to myself.. I hope to fuck I get this off my chest.. haha

LOL... there is always that :) but the fall from there is not so bad that other shit turns into a guillotine yikes!

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011

this....

The other thing. If you are trying to touch weights leave the collar all the way up. Just belt it down far enough so that it doesn't choke you. Just pull the collar when you want more out of the shirt. If that gets boring try pulling the tops of the sleeves down.... that goes a long way.

I agree with the others that working to boards is good, but if you can go full range then go for it.... it's best to learn the shirt full range if you can.

A good team will help you with all of this AND push you farther than you ever thought possible. I drive an hour each way to lift with mine.... three times a week. It's worth it to be in a situation where I'm squatting over a grand any given week and I'm not even in the top 3 guys on my team......When I want to really get some work in with a top bencher ( as in, you've heard of him and he benches what I squat) I drive 2 hours each way.... and it is worth it.

jandj0821

jandj0821

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2011
Great advice PLk! Halo and I have gone back and forth about joining someplace. An hour is a long way but worth the trip for the experience and the gains!

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Great advice PLk! Halo and I have gone back and forth about joining someplace. An hour is a long way but worth the trip for the experience and the gains!

It's been worth it for sure.

When I started with this crew I had been training on my own with a few good but equally inexperienced buddies.

I started in '07 with a 500 squat, 405 bench, and 550 pull in the gym. Best in a meet was 425-365-540 I had been training for 7 years.

My next meet in '08 I went 740-440-601

My last meet ( up a weight class now) was in '11 and I went 970-705-727

The team makes all the difference in the world.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic