Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Glutamine

T

Torres

MuscleHead
Sep 16, 2013
FIST & Monsoon hit it right on !!! FOOD !!!! Nothing like just plain old FOOD !!! It took me yrs to figure that out . In the beginning of me weight lifting I prob ate 2 meals a day and always wondered what supplement would help me break my plateaus . I tried a lot of shit !!! But when I realized food was the way to go , I fixed my diet and with some AAS , I was on my way .
Now it took years to figure out what supps I would benefit from , and I firmly believe that even w/ a good diet , supplements just accent that !!!
Glutamine for me is great, def helps me w/ immune system, w/ my digestive system, and with my heart burn !!! But that's me , It has helped me and will be a stable supplement in my diet !!!
After these 5 almost 6 years ( that's how long I've been in the game ) this is my list :
1 Weight Gain Protein
2 Creatine
3 Carb Powder
4 Intra Drink
5 Pre Workout ( Sometimes )
6 Glutamine
7 Multi Vitamin
Thats it !!! And these aren't always taken regularly , just when I feel a need , like if I skip a meal or Post workout at times . I know people w/ hella shit as far as supps . But it's all about FOOD !!! My .02

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
My 2c FWIW...

Glutamine has been shown to improve nitrogen balance whilst decreasing 3-methylhistidine (which is a biomarker of muscle catabolism). It can also help to increase protein synthesis and potentially elevate HGH secretion (which would both aid recovery and muscle growth). As well as the known benefits to the gastrointenstinal tract due to the cells in the intestinal epithelium using glutamine as their primary metabolic fuel, it's also useful for the immune system; it acts as a key substrate (or molecule) for both lymphocytes and macrophages.

One other benefit I am aware of is blood sugar stabilisation, probably because glutamine is recognised as a glycogenic amino acid. Studies have indicated that it's able to stimulate the accumulation of muscle glycogen which if true would have advantages for endurance athletes ~ or really any athlete that depends on glycogen stores for energy.

I definitely wouldn't go as far to say that this is a useless supplement.

Fork-Lift

Fork-Lift

MuscleHead
Jan 8, 2015
this is usually in most protien powders, even the cheap ones
i dont see any reason to take any more than what you get in your pre and post w/o shakes

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
this is usually in most protien powders, even the cheap ones
i dont see any reason to take any more than what you get in your pre and post w/o shakes

x2.. And many companies spike there Protein with extra Glutamine to raise there protein count.

I've tried Glutamine over the years and have never noticed any improvements from it. I think Creatine and Beta-Alanine would be better options. A Good Diet will make the biggest impact.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
My 2c FWIW...

Glutamine has been shown to improve nitrogen balance whilst decreasing 3-methylhistidine (which is a biomarker of muscle catabolism). It can also help to increase protein synthesis and potentially elevate HGH secretion (which would both aid recovery and muscle growth). As well as the known benefits to the gastrointenstinal tract due to the cells in the intestinal epithelium using glutamine as their primary metabolic fuel, it's also useful for the immune system; it acts as a key substrate (or molecule) for both lymphocytes and macrophages.

One other benefit I am aware of is blood sugar stabilisation, probably because glutamine is recognised as a glycogenic amino acid. Studies have indicated that it's able to stimulate the accumulation of muscle glycogen which if true would have advantages for endurance athletes ~ or really any athlete that depends on glycogen stores for energy.

I definitely wouldn't go as far to say that this is a useless supplement.

The difference and distinction is not based on usefulness as a thing that exists, but rather usefulness as a thing one has to buy glutamine in powder form. Your body already makes it and your diet already contains it, so the argument is not whether it can do something positive when there is none available, but rather, can supplementing it do anything at all that isn't already being done by your body and diet.

And in my opinion, unless you're grossly under eating or you're a true vegan, you don't and never will need it.

M

Mattmarcinc

Nov 11, 2015
I use glutamine daily and feel it defiantly helps reduce my muscle breakdown and helps my recovery but I must say u should get a powdered version and dose 5g 3xdaily and it's the most abundant amino in our muscles so I wouldn't call it worthless but I wouldn't call it a neccesity at all

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic