Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Gloves or No Gloves?

pux888

pux888

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2010
I want callouses and aim to keep my hands desensitized. I work with my hands everyday and like them to be functional in the real world.

barbellbeast

barbellbeast

MuscleHead
Oct 4, 2010
I haven't used gloves since powerlifting in high school. I'll use straps when I deadlift, occasionally I'll use the straps through the whole back workout to great success. I'd do it all the time, but I don't want to screw over my grip strength.

RedNeck

RedNeck

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2010
gloveless in the gym i want my hands jacked up rough. I have some gnarley callouses.

but my wife uses gloves lol

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
I use gloves depending on what workout I'm doing. I usually have the gloves with the wriststraps tied tight because my wrists are bad and that seems to give them good support. But, for all the big workout I just use wraps. If you have a gym that lets you use chalk, definitely go for that.

I use wraps for my wrists because I have shitty wrists as well.

I don't wear gloves, I have rough, disgusting hands.

Hanniballickedher

Hanniballickedher

MuscleHead
Dec 12, 2010
I will tell you this, I had rough hands and when they start cracking and bleeding you will change your mind. Screw that, I abused my hands through most of my life, and callouses don't make you more of a man.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
bro... justify it how you want to...

The next time you reach in your wifes purse to borrow her gloves... grab your balls instead... then you will forget all about the gloves...

WHO USES GLOVES?????

Straps and chalk baby... I like to chalk my hands up real good before deads... then right before I lift Ill slap em together and rub 'em and make a cloud accompanied by a very boisterous... WHOOOOOOO!... YOU READY BITCH! Then I grunt like I own the fucking gym!

Nsupps

Nsupps

Sep 29, 2010
I've never ever used gloves. I use chalk when doing heavier deadlifts or db rows but other than that don't use anything.

Dangling Unit

Dangling Unit

MuscleHead
Jan 2, 2011
I'm going to pick this apart, because it's obvious the original writer was asleep during high school physics.

Read more: Benefits of Weight-lifting Gloves | eHow.com Benefits of Weight-lifting Gloves | eHow.com

Significance
# Weight lifting puts stress on the hands and nerves of the hands. If you lift without gloves, you may have to stop routines before you hit your desired reps.

The hands still see the same force. Gloves don't magically take it away. The position of your hands on the bar determines if you put force on a nerve or not. I'm sure we have all had to adjust our position on dumbbells, because it puts too much pressure on that meaty part between your thumb and index finger.

Function
# Weight-lifting gloves protect the skin of the hands, reducing callouses and preventing the skin from drying out and cracking.

I don't use gloves and I have some damn soft hands. It's called lotion.

Wrists
# Wearing a good pair of padded weight-lifting gloves will reduce the pressure on your wrists.

Again, the hands and wrists see the same force with or without gloves. The only difference is you may be able to get gloves that lock the wrists in a parallel position with the hands, but those gloves aren't conducive to working out.

Grip
# Another benefit of gloves is the fact that you can get a better grip on free weights. This is especially the case when you are sweating during a hard workout.

Chalk works better than gloves, and if you're grip is too weak to hold a weight as simple as rows or something, you are using too much weight and you need to work on your grip.

OH, Here is another article

There are many benefits of weight lifting gloves that one can enjoy simply by wearing a pair while you workout. Weight lifting gloves are made in order to protect your hands especially when lifting heavy weights or while you are doing boot camps which require you to place your hands on pavement or pull awkward objects.

One of the benefits of weight lifting gloves is that they absorb the pressure that would otherwise be felt in your hand. Without weight lifting gloves, you may not work out a muscle as much because your hands are tired or in pain. Certain muscles can typically handle more than weight than what you can lift with your hands in they do not have proper protection.

No pressure is absorbed. Weight is weight and gravity is gravity. Gloves are not anti-gravity devices. "...handle more weight than what you can lift..." That statement is purely psychological. Physiologically, your body sees weight, or force, not some superficial device. Your mind has a greater effect on if you lift more weight than gloves do.

A positive side effect of keeping the pressure off of your hands is that your wrists will not be as uncomfortable is you are lifting heavy weights. If your gloves wrap around your wrists you are receiving a lot of support when you bend your wrist backwards to perform certain exercises.

Addressed above.

Other Reasons to Wear Weight Lifting Gloves

Also, during a workout your hands tend to get sweaty and reduce your grip on the weights, but with weight lifting gloves you don’t need to worry about losing your grip. This can be dangerous if, for example, you are doing heavy weights and have them over your body.

Wet leather is extremely slick. Your grip isn't to blame for weight slipping if it's over your body and your pushing. Grip plays a smaller part in pushing exercises. Wet hands? Towel and chalk.

A fourth major benefit of weight lifting gloves is that they prevent calluses and blisters from forming on your palms, which you know is a great feature if you’ve ever had calluses from working out.

Excessive jacking off causes this, too.

Finally, weight lifting gloves distribute the weight evenly across the forearms, and this not only lightens the load on your fingers, but increases your forearm strength.

Distributes the weight across your forearm? Are people wearing gloves that looked like Forrest Gump's leg braces? I can see some gloves supporting wrists, or locking them in a certain position, but this is not the mainstream glove, and if you don't have the strength to hold your wrists in a locked position, you need to do different exercises to strengthen them.

All-in-all, my assessment of these articles is they were written by people trying to justify wearing gloves, when there is no logical reason to. Perhaps they were written by glove manufacturers.

Last edited:
Hanniballickedher

Hanniballickedher

MuscleHead
Dec 12, 2010
It is what it is bro, there are reasons I wear them just like there are reasons you don't, don't like it don't look when I go in the gym, simple as that. Same shit can be written about chalk, creatine, shoes, benchshirts. To each their own.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
bench shirts are for pussies too... I actually didn't wear shoes to the gym until I dropped a plate on my foot and the plate broke...LOL

trackerbr

trackerbr

Dec 16, 2010
For heavy stuff I only use straps. I think it's a mental thing w/ me about wearing gloves. I don't think I can get a good enough grip.

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
If you have worked for a long period with gloves on (I am a contractor) performing a task such as using a hammer, you will realize that gloves diminish your grip simply because they increase the diameter of your grip on the object (same idea as a "fat" bar).

Hawk

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic