Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Global Warming Information???

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
What about all those islands disappearing because of rising sea levels???

The rate at which these small islands "disappear" are most likely a result of erosion, not rising sea levels. For someone actively looking for evidence of global warming/cooling, I can see how they would think this, but if you have an unbiased hypothesis, it's more logical to assume it is from erosion, among other issues. You ever visit several beaches around the country? You will see them constantly doing beach management, because the beach erodes. Large ships in the ocean, just off the coast, pump in sand and then use it to help rebuild the beaches. In areas like MD, the beaches are eroding at an alarming rate.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
What about all those islands disappearing because of rising sea levels???

And what islands is this you speak of? You do know Neverland isn't a real island...

What about all the new ones popping up?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
The ocean where I live is warmer. Averaging over 65F in the summers. This has allowed vibrio to flourish and cause human illness.

Warming or not. There is nothing wrong with taking better care of our environment. We breathe the air and drink the water. Our plants grow in the soil.

Reactions: 5.0
Yaya

Yaya

VIP Member
Jun 25, 2012
I agree we should always take care of the environment the best we can. .. God gave us this beautiful world and we should treat it nice..

However, god is clearly a Republican and Republicans don't believe in that global warming shit. Jesus never mentioned it once in any gospel

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Regarding global warming, there are several things to consider:

(1) is global warming occurring? don't be fooled, there is not consensus on this. Actual temperature data has only been collected for the past 100 years, so beyond that they have to extrapolate using sea ice, tree rings, etc. Not saying that those methods aren't any good, but when you're dealing with temperature changes of 0.05C, etc. and the certainty of the measurement process is at about the same 0.05C, how certain can you be with your conclusions. Also, since actual temperature measurements have been conducted, multiple "adjustments" have been made. Knowing where, when, and why is important. For example, if you move the thermometer because they're building something there, does the new location get the same amount of sun, etc.? You'll see that the adjustments have all magically made things warmer. There is not consensus that the adjustments that were made were proper. Statistically, the warming that was seen over the past 70 years has NOT been occurring the past 20 years, despite the climate models that predicted continued warming. Are the models wrong? If they predicted continued warming and we're not seeing it, how can you rely on those models. They don't even reflect the weather we know has occurred, how can you rely on that model going forward to predict what will happen in the future?

(2) If global warming is occurring, is it a bad thing? There is not consensus on that. Many think it's a bad thing... the polar ice caps melt, the oceans rise, Manhattan underwater, the warming apocalypse. Some think it will be a good thing, as crop yields increase with small increases in temperature, etc.

(3) If global warming is occurring, can we do anything about it? Again, no consensus on that. Some believe it is occurring, but the contributions of warming due to man's activities (burning of fossil fuels) is swamped by natural factors that we cannot control (volcanic eruptions, etc.). So some people think that global warming is happening, but we can't really do anything about it, from a statistically significant point of view. One famous environmentalist believes global warming is occurring, but the costs of doing anything about it are so great that money is better spent on other things that will have a much greater impact on the world's citizens. (I'm talking things like cleaning drinking water in the third world, etc.)

(4) Politics: sadly, you can't avoid politics on this issue. Environmentalists have made this their religion. Many are willing to lie, misrepresent data, etc. because of their "faith" in global warming. Many just see this as a great issue to scare people into surrendering more of their liberties, and giving the gov't huge powers to further regulate society. After all, what human activity doesn't touch on the environment? And the internationalists see this as the perfect issue to create international regulations that tie nations closer together, and force them to act all in the same way.

Mr. Wiggly

Mr. Wiggly

MuscleHead
Oct 15, 2011
I agree we should always take care of the environment the best we can. .. God gave us this beautiful world and we should treat it nice..

However, god is clearly a Republican and Republicans don't believe in that global warming shit. Jesus never mentioned it once in any gospel

Oh theres gonna be global warming alright. When he destroys the world with fire...........................sounds warm.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I am a huge advocate of the ecosystem and our environment. It doesn't take long to walk up the road and see garbage everywhere that can dramatically cause problems in wildlife. Our landfills just keep filling up faster and faster, and we can't use the land that the landfills are covered up with for many many years. Or growing population is only making it worse, as well as a population that doesn't give a shit. It occurred to me the problem when one of our dumps was recently maxed out and seeing the amount of land it takes to make a landfill and the amount of land they had to take to start a new one was very eye-opening.

Since then, I have started recycling and be more conscious of the garbage that I am responsible for. So please don't think that I have no compassion for The environment. I am huge in to wildlife and see how it affects every day. I don't think anyone can argue these issues when the problem is right in front of our face and it doesn't take a scientist to figure it out

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Global warming = code for creating and increasing taxes and fees in the name of cooling the planet. Global warming has been proven to be a hoax so now the language has been changed to climate change. Yes I agree in being responsible with our planet but it can't and won't be done by monetary punishment. If people care so much about it they should go after countries like China who are the biggest offenders in "Global warming" spewing shit into the atmosphere at an unbelievable rate.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
al gore said Global warming is bad... Obama said Global warming causes terrorism... both are idiots

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic