Members
Latest Member
angelarbatt
What's New?

Fruits needed?

Starwind

Starwind

Nov 6, 2011
I look at my diet right now and it's pretty basic cutting. Special K or Honey Bunches of oats with Fat free milk for breakfast. A turkey style sandwich on whole wheat bread for lunch. Then Dinner is about a pound of skinless boneless chicken breast with 2 cups of frozen mixed veggies with 4 spoons of canola butter. Then about 14 oz and a scoop and a half of protein powder and fat free milk. I realize this isn't the greatest diet but it has worked for me to lose 30 pounds in the last four months. So it gives results. Just curious if fruits are needed for anything. I'm rearranging my diet to better hit the needed macros and I'm coming close with my current diet I just know that when i want to gain some pounds I'll have to up those as needed.

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
I look at my diet right now and it's pretty basic cutting. Special K or Honey Bunches of oats with Fat free milk for breakfast. A turkey style sandwich on whole wheat bread for lunch. Then Dinner is about a pound of skinless boneless chicken breast with 2 cups of frozen mixed veggies with 4 spoons of canola butter. Then about 14 oz and a scoop and a half of protein powder and fat free milk. I realize this isn't the greatest diet but it has worked for me to lose 30 pounds in the last four months. So it gives results. Just curious if fruits are needed for anything. I'm rearranging my diet to better hit the needed macros and I'm coming close with my current diet I just know that when i want to gain some pounds I'll have to up those as needed.

Personally I don't use any fruit and never have, other than the occasional treat.... maybe I should but I hit the carbs I need with 1/2 cup oats, and one med yam....and then green veggies.... soo I don't see sacrificing any of those for fruit. I know lots use it pre or post workout

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
I live by the idea that we need a mixture of everything to remain healthy. Even though antioxidants or certain nutrients may not be directly responsible for building muscle or fitness, if it contributes to overall health or building our immune system it may indirectly help us stay healthy enough to train regularly. I just keep it natural, no flour or refined sugars. No processed meats ect

Starwind

Starwind

Nov 6, 2011
Personally I don't use any fruit and never have, other than the occasional treat.... maybe I should but I hit the carbs I need with 1/2 cup oats, and one med yam....and then green veggies.... soo I don't see sacrificing any of those for fruit. I know lots use it pre or post workout

That is how I always looked at it... Sacrifice the other wants for the needs. However, Ketsugo makes a point that there is probably some vitamins lacking that only fruit would be able to contain. That is what a multi is for though right? Insurance in case you do miss a certain vitamin or two?

goldy

goldy

Chutzpah VIP
Jan 17, 2011
i always have blueberries or strawberries whether cutting or bulking. i add apples and bananas when bulking tho.

Starwind

Starwind

Nov 6, 2011
Why blueberries and strawberries during cutting? Wouldn't it be better to have greens instead during that time?

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
You can get by without fruit, if you look at food available to many areas naturally before import some don't have much variety. That being said fruits are not bad, I've never seen someone get fat from eating fruit. You really aren't eating much though and 2 cups of veg just won't do it. I try to include veg or fruit in every meal. Nutrition is micros not just macros. The good thing is green veg is mostly fibrous carbs so you don't need to count them and can make up the difference with something like blueberries which have very few carbs to begin with. It's not like the data for foods is exact, varying your diet by 50 or 60 cals one way or the other in a day is doing to have negligible impact.

Starwind

Starwind

Nov 6, 2011
You can get by without fruit, if you look at food available to many areas naturally before import some don't have much variety. That being said fruits are not bad, I've never seen someone get fat from eating fruit. You really aren't eating much though and 2 cups of veg just won't do it. I try to include veg or fruit in every meal. Nutrition is micros not just macros. The good thing is green veg is mostly fibrous carbs so you don't need to count them and can make up the difference with something like blueberries which have very few carbs to begin with. It's not like the data for foods is exact, varying your diet by 50 or 60 cals one way or the other in a day is doing to have negligible impact.

Makes me wish I lived in Washington or something where blackberries and blueberries and many other fruit grow so easily instead of a damn desert where its 4 bucks for 8 oz of blueberries haha... So a pound of mixed veggies isn't enough intake? I figured that would have been more then what most people would get.

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
You have 2 cups of veg in your diet listed. Each veg weighs a different amount per cup so we use volume measurements not weight. For example:

1 cup chopped broccoli is 91g or 3.2 oz
1 cup baby carrots is 170g or 6 oz

What have you been eating in 2 cups to get to a pound anyway?

Starwind

Starwind

Nov 6, 2011
You have 2 cups of veg in your diet listed. Each veg weighs a different amount per cup so we use volume measurements not weight. For example:

1 cup chopped broccoli is 91g or 3.2 oz
1 cup baby carrots is 170g or 6 oz

What have you been eating in 2 cups to get to a pound anyway?

Its frozen... So I believe that is what makes it weigh a bit more... Its a mix of Peas, Carrots, corn, green beans, and lima beans.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic