Members
Latest Member
jacobss

Front squat q

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Switch to it if you can, you'll notice a big difference after the first session....even more once you get the hang of it.

Switch to the cross? I've always used the clean to help it transfer to my C&J.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
It used to pull me forward even with clean grip (never used cross) because I was not very mobile.
I rarely stretched when I was bb'ing. It's taken about a year of constant mobility work :/
I couldn't even overhead squat a pvc a year ago haha

It could be mobility issues when you lower yourself which would make it difficult to keep/hold an arch. It could also mean you need to work your upper back more to have the strength to hold the arch and not begin to come forward.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I'm not a proponent in crossing the arms, it causes many issues overall....different topic/thread.

I can't use an oly grip, so I use straps, wrap them around the bar and pull your elbows up....wedge that bar within that pocket just below your adam's apple/collar bone area and keep the elbows up almost to the point of pulling them, this should alleviate the strain a bit.

However BI's wife is 195lbs, pulls 5 plates, has 18 inch arms and will kick the shit out of all of us at once.....so him using her as a reference is utter bullshit! hahaha

Edit: I see Schultz and BI already mentioned the straps.

LOL... all very true. She also squats in the 5's raw and easily front squats in the high 3's.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
It could be mobility issues when you lower yourself which would make it difficult to keep/hold an arch. It could also mean you need to work your upper back more to have the strength to hold the arch and not begin to come forward.

Yeah upper back is pretty damn strong. Mostly a hip mobility thing for me. I think the thoracic flexion was a side effect of over compensating for lack of hip mobility.

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
I will try to widen my grip but when I've tried it before my wrists feel like glass about to shatter... Wrists bother me a lot on shit like preachers etc..!and I have a bit of carpel or compartment syndrome that I never got looked at

if I can't get the bar to sit lower (part I think is my short stocky arms too... Only 32" arms, with ~18" biceps now) then I will try the strap method... I honestly think I could front squat easily 75 more lb for reps if I can keep from getting pulled forward ... This thread turned into a wealth of knowledge, ideas and my favorite part: IC's smart ass remarks about the sand in my mangina

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Yeah upper back is pretty damn strong. Mostly a hip mobility thing for me. I think the thoracic flexion was a side effect of over compensating for lack of hip mobility.

Most people have hip mobility issues when it comes to OH Squats also. Most think they don't have enough shoulder mobility but the truth is it's the hips.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Most people have hip mobility issues when it comes to OH Squats also. Most think they don't have enough shoulder mobility but the truth is it's the hips.

Exactly! I thought it was my shoulders as well. True, I did have shoulder mobility issues but that was easier to fix than hip.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic