Members
Latest Member
arcticranger
What's New?

For Those of you who Swear by Dumbbell Benching

N

Nate2010

Sep 15, 2010
All right, we've all heard the arguments that dumbbells are superior to barbells for benching because they work more "stabilizers", allow for a greater range of motion, make sure that one side does not become unbalanced, etc. However, some people (such as myself) disagree that dumbbell benching is the way to go for everybody. Personally I'm not really buying into the idea that dumbbells force you to lift with improved technique.

For example, I hit up the gym yesterday, and I started with my usual half hour or so of squats. There was a guy next to me in another rack that was also squatting, and by the looks of it he was a serious lifter. He squatted for a long time, with more intensity than I typically see from the average gym goer. Great, I love it when I see this.

Fast forward a half hour or so. I'm finishing my training with rows and I happen to look over and see the same guy benching with dumbbells. While he was using what most would consider an acceptable range of motion with his left side, his right side stopped a little short before returning to lockout. This was consistent throughout the set, always a little short on the right side.

Now the point is not that I think dumbbell benching is worthless for everyone. I just think that it is glorified beyond its merits, especially for beginner lifters. Everyone argues that barbells allow for sloppy technique, when just yesterday I witnessed a glaringly obvious flaw in a dumbbell bencher's form. For some people dumbbells will be appropriate, but to say that it's superior to a barbell is not justified, IMO.

MPMC

MPMC

VIP Member
Jul 22, 2011
They both should be incorporated into anyone's routine that is serious imo. I don't believe one is really better than the other. I tend to lift more with BB but I get a better pump with DB. I think the DB bench targets the pecs better though. I tend to feel my front delts doing a lot of the work with BB bench.

Rancor418

Rancor418

MuscleHead
Aug 8, 2011
I think both have to be a part in everyones workout. I can go lower with DB's so i get a better streach and pump. It alao allows me to work a weaker side.

K

-KB-

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2010
I use only DBs because BB bench kills my shoulders.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I use both warm up with BB ass bust with DB's, one guys shitty form may be from an injury or just shitty form in general, I would assume he could "feel" the difference in the range of motion between left and right, so he most likely has a reason for the lack of range of motion on one side if he is indeed aware of his technique.

Some things will work well for one person and not at all for others, try different techniques and tweak them around abit to find what works for you and toss out what does not give individual results.

parttimer

parttimer

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2011
I think most of us have gone to dumbbells following injury and pain. I can use dummbells almost all day. Put 300 on a bar, and I am crippled for a week.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Well you can't fix stupid. But myself, I find that I will pick heavier weight with the dumbbells but cheat the shit out of it or use partial ROM. Not so with a bar

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Well you can't fix stupid. But myself, I find that I will pick heavier weight with the dumbbells but cheat the shit out of it or use partial ROM. Not so with a bar

Huh, not me I am more strict with the db's cuz I don't want them fuckers getting outta control and tearing my shoulder out,although I am strict with the BB as well cuz I am old and need no more injuries:D

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Like most said...... both

HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
i am in agreement that both should be incorporated for anybody thats serious about building muscle

D

Dank

Nov 16, 2010
I stick with DB's mainly because my shoulders are shit. Separated the left twice and broke my collar bone on the right (not sure if that actually causes any issue) playing hockey and I have a lot more pain with bench than I do DB's.

YAMAHA147

YAMAHA147

MuscleHead
Feb 23, 2012
I always switch it up every couple weeks..get the best of both worlds

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic