Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

flaxseed oil and fish oil

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Well, I was able to find where Nordic Naturals is made with the triglyceride ester. I wasn't able to find out about the Solgar brand Omega 700 MF recommended. Still looking and am wondering if that is the difference he mentioned / asked if anyone knew lol. Having this ester as a triglyceride seems to explain the higher cost of Nordic also. Just a little more info for those taking it and need it. Looks like I'll be picking up some Nordic to give them a try and see if there is a change.

-IM
You kind of mentioned the difference between them indirectly in one of your other posts, Nordic Naturals use molecular distillation whereas Solgar do not. Molecular distillation has its' good and not-so-good points, but on the whole despite that glaring difference they are still two of the highest quality and purest omega 3 oils available right now.

Thanks for the info btw, MF.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Flaxseed oil is far superior. It has the highest natural ratios of omega 3 to omega 6.
With all due respect I diagree with you there. Flaxseed oil is actually not that great when you look into it in a little more detail. Omega 3 is usable straightaway and we can all benefit from taking it, flaxeed oil on the other hand has to be converted in the body before we can utilise it:

dossier-mvo5.gif

Reference: http://www.vettefeiten.nl/en/file-p...fats-and-oils-information-article-omega3.html

This flowchart goes into a little more detail whilst still remaining easy to follow:

MetabolicChart.gif

Now when you start looking at what happens to flax in the body you'll notice that flaxseed has very poor EPA conversion of around 10% and ZERO conversion to DHA (DHA is an extremely important omega 3 fatty acid with benefits to the eyes, brain, heart and nervous system). Just to make matters worse, women tend to be more efficient at converting it than men are.

Hope this makes sense MF.

IronicMasster

IronicMasster

Apr 29, 2013
I can't friggin find the link ( might be on my other computer ) but, DHA was found to be more effective then EPA in lowering Triglycerides. Though they also found a problem with DHA, that being it uses ( or blocks I can't remember ) GLA. Therefore when one uses higher doses it might be wise to also that GLA with it. I am looking at taking a combination of:
Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega 1000 qty. 4 DHA 900 EPA 1300
Nordic Naturals - ProDHA 1000 qty. 2 DHA 900 EPA 180
TOTAL = DHA 1800 EPA 1480
+Nordic Naturals GLA ( gamma-linolenic acid ) 450mg recommended dose

Lovaza current dose is DHA 1540mg EPA 1880mg

I have stopped taking the Lovaza that I mentioned earlier and sure enough the nerve/muscle pain I was experiencing seems to have lessened ( could be placebo though LOL ). I'll be giving the above a try even though it will cost me over $100!! for a 45 day supply. When compared to the Lovaza ( script ) for 90 days $15!! I'll have my bloodwork done to see if there is a difference between the two as far as Triglycerides are concerned and post back telling if the increase in DHA over EPA helped any. Unfortunately, that will be a month and a half away LOL

I appreciate all the info I can get on this stuff!

-IM

I found that link for you about the DHA EPA comparison. Interesting stuff . . . with my required references ;)

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-are-the-real-differences-between-epa-and-dha

http://www.nutraingredients.com/Research/DHA-alone-can-lower-triglycerides-says-study

Last edited:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Too much fish oil can be a bad thing...
I mentioned on the first page that I don't buy into that line of thinking. Just as a reference point, this further illustrates that:

OMEGA 3 SUPPLEMENTATION IN RELATION TO SYMPOMATIC PRESENCE

DOSE:
General health ~ 1,000-2,000mg
Moderate disease/stress ~ 3,000-4,000mg
Mood/behaviour/cognition ~ 5,000mg
Severe disease/stress ~ 6,000mg+
Bipolar disorder ~ 9,600mg (optimal dosage according to studies)**

References:
** (1) Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Muscle Protein Synthesis: NCT00794079

We know from studies and clinical trials (and fish oil and omega 3 has around 400,000 credible studies behind it) that it’s great for improving membrane fluidity, is the brains fat of choice for both function and structure and it holds significant merit for reducing post workout inflammation/DOMS.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
I've probably already mentioned this somewhere, but they are repeatedly finding that the countries/people with the lowest recorded incidence of cardiovascular disease also have a very high, regular intake of omega 3 fatty acids. Naturally they have zero/very minimal elevations in cardiac inflammatory biomarkers, which was one of the main differences the researchers noticed in their studies.

IronicMasster

IronicMasster

Apr 29, 2013
MF do you think there is a significant difference in the Ethyl ester vs the Triglyceride ester? Besides of course the end cost LOL For example the Lovaza being $15 for a 3 month script compared to the Nordic being around $200!!

-IM

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
MF do you think there is a significant difference in the Ethyl ester vs the Triglyceride ester? Besides of course the end cost LOL For example the Lovaza being $15 for a 3 month script compared to the Nordic being around $200!!

-IM
Yes there is a big difference ~ absorption and boiavilability.

From memory there is 70% better bioavailability in concentrated omega 3 versus omega 3 in the ester form, and this has been scientifically proven. I'll try and find the study, if I can I will post the link up here MF.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
I'll try and find the study, if I can I will post the link up here MF.
Here you go ;)

Bioavailability of marine n-3 fatty acid formulations

Reprinted from Publication Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids, 80, J. Dyerberg, P. Madsen, J.M. Møller, I. Aardestrup, E.B. Schmidt, Bioavailability of marine n-3 fatty acid formulations, 137-141, copyright 2010, with permission from Elsevier.

PDF of the study here:

http://www.nordicnaturals.com/images/pdfs/tgstudy.pdf

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
IronicMasster

IronicMasster

Apr 29, 2013
Thanks so much for the link MF!! Looks like I'll be at least giving a 3 month-worth try of the Nordic then LOL

I'll have to remember to post back how much more or less it effects my Triglycerides.

Thanks again!

-IM

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Anytime buddy, really interested to hear how you get on. Keep us in the loop MF.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic