Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

flaxseed oil and fish oil

TheClap

TheClap

VIP Member
Oct 25, 2011
Can't tell if this version is Ethyl Ester or Triglyceride form http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Ult...=1375450641&sr=8-1&keywords=now+ultra+omega-3 . But one thing I do know is that The amount of ethyl ester if it is in there is going to result in an insignificant amount of ethanol in the body... which is the chemical added to gasoline, and it's also just another word for ethyl alcohol which is the form of alcohol found in beer, wine etc. I'm an alcoholic (sober 4 years) and believe me if there was any real conversion to alcohol I would feel it. If you think about it, how much of this could be the weight of the ester? How much would you have to take in order for that to convert to even one gram of alcohol? Worrying about the amount of ethyl alcohol you will get is like people who worry about taking TNE pre workout if they are using insulin because of the fat content in TNE... completely insignificant when you do the math.

The thing to pay attention to is the actual DHA and EPA content in your fish oil. You will find that many of the most expensive ones contain a shitty little amount of DHA/EPA. They just put them in a shiny bottle with a pretty label and charge a high price and people by into it. Many of the more expensive brands are like 38% EPA/DHA whereas the NOW version I posted above is 75%... which is the closest thing I can find to being as concentrated as Lovaza. And personally, I'm all for there being acutal prescription versions of Fish Oil. If I tell a patient to start taking fish oil... who knows what the hell they're going to end up actually getting. If you write them a script for a specific fish oil you know exactly what they will be taking. That's why I'm all for a prescription version being available. Because DHA and EPA are so important that a doctor should ensure that his patient is actually getting enough.

This is one of the best articles I've ever read on Fish Oil http://www.leangains.com/2011/05/omega-3-fatty-acids-for-muscle-growth.html
If you read at the very bottom he mentions that each 100g of salmon contains about 0.7g EPA and 1.4g DHA. I can't find any fish oil supplement that has a higher DHA level than EPA. Might be a good idea to eat a little salmon now and then.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Good post, great info. Thanks :D

IronicMasster

IronicMasster

Apr 29, 2013
OK, life got real busy so, I wasn't able to update on the Tri-Ester compared to the Ethyl Ester as soon as I would have liked. Well, I got my blood results back and can tell everyone wanting to lower their Triglycerides to take the Tri-ester version fish oil!!!!

With Lovaza ( prescription fish oil - ethyl version ) 4 g worth ( 4 pills ) my Tri's were 260 with Tricor also being taken down from . . . hold your breath . . . 898!

When I switched to the Nordic Naturals that Mini-Forklift suggested my Tri's are down to 130!!!! And NO I haven't changed my diet LOL

Also, I HIGHLY suggest making your Doc give you a VAP cholesterol profile test instead of the basic BS Lipid panel. I have been able to figure out from that test that some decent Cardio will make HUGE improvements to much of my Lipid profile. The VAP test breaks down what "your" best approach should be to improvement ie Statins, Excercise, Fibrates etc.

Looking forward to the next test results for Tri's without the Tricor. Just taking the Fish Oil from Nordic Naturals! Oh, I forgot one of the big parts of this also. I only take 2 Nordic compared to the Pharm fish oil 4!!!

This has increased my belief that Pharm companies are $hit and only care about the bottom dollar. You know damn well that if they developed a Script version of Fish Oil that they tested the triglyceride ester version! But, what would make more money . . . YUP twice the dose and ethyl process cheaper!! x-(

Hope this helps someone else,

-IM

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Thanks IM, appreciate your input. Your results pretty much fall in line with the kind of feedback I get from customers that buy that brand of fish oil from us to specifically target the lowering of their LDL and/or total cholesterol.

Good stuff.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic