Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Flat dumbbell bench

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
So I did chest tonight. I can't do flat bar bench because of my shoulders but I can do incline bar and flat dumbbell bench. I got 340 on incline for 3. Then 270 for 10. This brings me to my problem. Wen I get to dumbbell bench I can only do 85's for 10 reps. I have tried going heaver but only seem to hurt my joints when the reps get low on those. I have tried going lighter , down to 75's for 3 sets of 15 and still can't seem to push much more weight. I have been stuck at this weight for about two years now.

Anyone have some advice?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
That's pretty weird... What joints hurt and at what point in the movement?

MPMC

MPMC

VIP Member
Jul 22, 2011
Is it your elbows that are hurting? Have you tried using sleeves on them?

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Shoulders and elbows hurt. I also have a hard time controlling the weights when ever I try to go heaver.

D

DIEZEL

MuscleHead
Jan 26, 2011
Thats a huge difference in poundage, especially when the incline puts more stress on the shoulders. have you ever done incline Db's ?

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Thats a huge difference in poundage, especially when the incline puts more stress on the shoulders. have you ever done incline Db's ?

Yes, and its even worse. I struggle with 75's on incline db bench. A little back story: A few years ago I tore my left shoulder apart in a fight. Anterior delt and bicep on my left side. Doc said it was a partial tear and I ended up doing some shots and 3 months of PT. Was not able to bench at all for almost a year. Not sure if that would have much to do with the right side though...lol

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Very strange gs. I do flat dumbbells as well since flat bench kills my shoulder but also do incline barbell. If I get to 365 on incline barbell bench I am usually doing 140's - 150's in flat dumb bells. have you just started using dumb bells and maybe your stabilizing muscles aren't up to speed with everything else as of yet?

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Very strange gs. I do flat dumbbells as well since flat bench kills my shoulder but also do incline barbell. If I get to 365 on incline barbell bench I am usually doing 140's - 150's in flat dumb bells. have you just started using dumb bells and maybe your stabilizing muscles aren't up to speed with everything else as of yet?

Been doing them off and on for about 3 years now. Started adding them in regular when I could no longer do barbell flat bench. I feel that I should be able to get at least 100's for 8-10 reps.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
If you are doing 340, I would say 100's at the very least bro.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
what is the angle of your incline? do you do military press? and if so what is your weight on it? what about db flyes? what is your chest routine?

im wondering if you are overcompensating by using your delts mostly for your incline press. that angle is less stressful on the shoulders and depending on the angle of your bench you can use almost delts exclusively.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
what is the angle of your incline? do you do military press? and if so what is your weight on it? what about db flyes? what is your chest routine?

im wondering if you are overcompensating by using your delts mostly for your incline press. that angle is less stressful on the shoulders and depending on the angle of your bench you can use almost delts exclusively.

I'd say the angle is 28-30 degrees. I do military presses and can do 225 for 10. My chest routine looks like this:

Incline bench-(warm up with 135 for 12 reps) then 225 for 8, 315-340 depending on how I feel and what I'm on. Then back down to 270-275 for 8-10.

Flat dumbell bench-3 sets 10-12 reps with 80-85's

Flat dumbell flyes-30-35's 3 sets of 10-12 (depending on how my shoulders feel I may do these on a machine)

Cable crossovers-2-3 sets 12-15 reps with 70 per side.

If I feel frisky at the end I'll bump out 30-40 pushups.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
how do you feel your MMC is on the incline press? do you feel it in your pecs? my elbows and shoulders arent good and i like the db bench as i can move things a bit to relieve pressure. do you think it is a mental issue? i know at times i have really struggled with increasing my db press because im mentally frustrated with it. it is like i defeat myself before i even get started. i have overcome this often times by dropping the weight and doing reps.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic