Latest Member
arcticranger
What's New?

first time using bands....holy shiitttt

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I am an attorney and we struggle with saying things in simple terms, too Doc. So let me see if I understand what you are saying in plain English. My questions are in square brackets [].

WHY?
Because one very good reason mixing both isometric and isotonic "contractions" increases not only SKM hypertrophy but also enhances STRENGTH.

Mixing the types of work increases both strength and growth of muscles.

Understand although the term CONTRACTION in this regard is perhaps a misnomer because while a muscle is shortening during an isotonic "contraction", it is actually lengthening during an isometric "contraction".

We shouldn't call the movement a contraction because the muscle is lengthening during an isometric contraction. [I am confused here: you are still lifting weight with the bands, only they alter the way the muscle experiences the weight, in the case of bands from the floor by increasing the weight at the top of the contraction and bands from the ceiling by decreasing the weight at the bottom of the contraction. So why would you not call it a normal contraction???]

Thus depending upon their placement bands may be used for isometric (AKA the lengthening, negative or static "contraction")

[I really cannot imagine a single isometric exercise you can use bands for. Please explain and give examples.]

There is one other very good reason bands or chains are useful. The load exerted is directly proportional to the ability to lift it. Stated another way the load is progressively increased as more myofibrils become involved in that exercise.

So with bands and chains the muscle is taxed maximally at peak contraction (peak muscle fiber recruitment). [That makes sense to me.]

Such that at the "bottom" of a lift, complete muscular lengthening is achieved and few fibers are being used, yet as that lift continues the overlapping actin and myosin elements increase progressively, making the lift "easier", until the set point, (that interval when overlap reaches 80-90%) is reached.

This is further explanation of peak work at peak contraction. [But isn't the devil in the details? I.e. did the person set the bands right to have the peak work occur at peak contraction?]

However chains or bands ensure the WORK performed by the muscle is proportional the the number of overlapping A-M elements. The latter is achieved by progressively adding resistance during a lift.

[For those of us who are not doctors or physical therapists, please define "A-M elements."] I think you're saying here the technique makes it so the work performed is proportional to the level of muscle contraction? And that is because resistance is increased over the lift by the use of bands or chains. [Kind of repetitive of what you have already said.]

Try it, if conducted properly the outcome will NOT be forgotten, I promise!

Best
Jim

Okay to sum up, Bands or Chains can be used to increase resistance at peak contraction and are a good variation to add into everyone's routine because they help with increasing both muscle strength and growth.

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
1) Correct
2) Yea I know it's somewhat confusing but as that weight is traveling WITH gravity work on behave of muscles is still being done, otherwise that weight would slam into your chest if doing a bench press for example.

3) So although the muscles are LENGTHENING the A/M (actin and myosin) elements must be used to SLOW THE DESCENT. That "static contraction" is what physiologists are referring to as an "isometric contraction". Many whom WO call it the "negative" component of an exercise.

4) If used correctly yes

5) As I've said as more myofibrils overlap the lift becomes "easier" and as that lift gets "easier" more resistance is added. I believe the placement of chains (that wrap around a barbell with multiple links on the floor) is a better example than bands although both can achieve the same goal. Thus as the bar is lifted more links are inherently being added, increasing resistance!

6) Yep

Regs
Jim

I am an attorney and we struggle with saying things in simple terms, too Doc. So let me see if I understand what you are saying in plain English. My questions are in square brackets [].

Okay to sum up, Bands or Chains can be used to increase resistance at peak contraction and are a good variation to add into everyone's routine because they help with increasing both muscle strength and growth.

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
----------------

1) Correct

2) Yea I know it's somewhat confusing but as that weight is traveling WITH gravity work on behave of muscles is still being done, otherwise that weight would slam into your chest if doing a bench press for example.

3) So although the muscles are LENGTHENING A/M (actin and myosin) elements must still be used to SLOW THE DESCENT, less that weight slam into your chest. That "static contraction" is what exercise physiologists refer to as an "isometric contraction". Many whom WO call it the "negative" or "downward" component of an lifting exercise.

4) If used correctly yes

5) As I've said as more myofibrils overlap the lift becomes "easier" and as that lift gets "easier" more resistance is added. I believe the placement of chains (that wrap around a barbell with multiple links on the floor) is a better example than bands although both can achieve the same goal. Thus as the bar is lifted more links are inherently being added, increasing resistance!

6) Yep

Regs
Jim

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
If you think bands are awesome you should try a Bosu ball.................and some "kipping":eek:

Hey I gotta tease you kids a little bit

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
--------------------

If you think bands are awesome you should try a Bosu ball.................and some "kipping":eek:

---------------------------------------------------------
Entirely different physiologic principles and muscular activity. I'm not saying bands or chains are "awesome" per say but they most certainly can expedite gains AND strength if used correctly.

However for that reason their use should be limited to probably no more than once a week.

I must also add no study has shown the use of "imbalance training" does anything special less increasing the chances of injury! These injuries have ranged from a uncomplicated ankle sprain to ACL tears and fractures sustained as a result of falling.

Best
Jim
-------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
P

pumpingiron22

Mar 2, 2014
I didnt think much when my trainer brought them out the first time. lol was i kidding talk about a whole new world.

MaxSeg

MaxSeg

MuscleHead
Aug 23, 2012
I use bands in my training as well. Be careful not over use ie; benching against the bands. I can burn you out pretty fast.

Love some reverse band bench!

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
I didnt think much when my trainer brought them out the first time. lol was i kidding talk about a whole new world.

That's often the response when mates use them. I actually prefer the chains or HEAVY rope but bands are probably better for isometrics.

Jim

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
The thing to remember about bands is the tension is not linear... meaning 1 inch doesn't = the same amount of tension like it does when using chains.

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
The thing to remember about bands is the tension is not linear... meaning 1 inch doesn't = the same amount of tension like it does when using chains.

--------------------------------------------
Yes but the principle is the same.

If bands are attached correctly NO resistance is exerted until roughly 50% of myofibrils are activated. This usually occurs once 50% of the lifting angle is reached.

Consequently to ensure optimal band resistance is achieved the forced applied is DISPROPORTIONATELY INCREASED as the lift progresses, beyond 50% of the anticipated ROM.

Contrast this with chains that provide proportional resistance.

Best
Jim

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Principles and books are great but get out there and put weight on your back, on the floor, or on the bench and put it to practice. I don't care what the books say.... we don't read this shit.... we actually put it practice.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Jim for powerlifting purposes the reason is a lot simpler than what you have stated. It allows overloading where you are stronger. Or for speed days using around 50 or 60 percent it causing a sense of urgency in the mind forcing you to drive thru the bands hard.

EDIT: This isn't to say what you posted is incorrect, its more a matter of nobody really understanding what you're saying. Speaking more in terms of accommodated resistance is a concept that is much simpler for your average weightlifter/powerlifting/bodybuilder to understand.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic